PDA

View Full Version : Walter Guy Hudson - MD

ohland
08-29-2014, 07:09 PM
http://sandiegoschutzenguilde.org/bobtylershistory.htm
Accessed 29 August 2014

Walter G. Hudson, M.D. (1870-1920) was hired as DuPont's first in-house physician in 1904 at a time when America was paying increasing attention to health and safety issues in its expanding industries. Dr. Hudson organized a formal Medical Division at DuPont, including physicians assigned to individual plants, and published pamphlets such as "First Aid Treatment of Wounds" that were useful to all company personnel. In 1915 Hudson became DuPont's first medical director. He worked hard during the busy production years of World War I to insure safe working conditions for DuPont's newly hired munitions workers, many of whom had no prior experience in factory work.

Hudson's research into toxic gases generated by explosives used in mines helped DuPont avoid some of the health problems that other munitions manufacturers encountered during World War I. He published "Explosives-Industry Poisons" in The Medical Report (January 1917) and served as chair of the National Defense Committee's Subcommittee on Industrial Diseases and Poisons. Dr. Hudson died in 1920 at the age of 50.

TXGunNut
08-29-2014, 11:45 PM
A far cry from today's safety nazis, as I call them. In a similar vein, my dad was a radiation researcher who had a hand in establishing today's safety standards. His life was likely shortened by an accident or two over the years, I wonder if Dr Hudson was a victim of his research as well.