PDA

View Full Version : New Lee 6-cavity handles need tightening?

Jtarm
08-29-2014, 08:03 AM
After many delays, I am almost tooled-up and back into the casting game after a long hiatus.

My first set of Lee handles came in the mail yesterday for a Mihec 4-cavity. However, they seem to have a little play in them. Not a bunch, but I can definitely feel it when I gently jiggle the handles in opposite directions. The nut on the hinge pin seems good & tight, at least I can't hand turn it.

Do I need take a pair of wrenches and crank it down a little?

I don't remember from prior experiences if any handles had play like this. I used RCBS 2-cavity handles back then but unfortunately, no longer have them to compare to.

bangerjim
08-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Just bang the ends with a dead blow soft hammer to seat the tangs into the wood.

Or drill & pin.

banger

theperfessor
08-29-2014, 02:10 PM
I may have read the OP wrong but I think the poster is referring to play at the hinge of the two arms. I think a little play is necessary, but too much is obviously not good. I would probably try them before i tried tightening up the hinge nut, some things will expand and warp when they get hot.

By the way, I glue my handles on with JB Weld, lots of other good ways to do it.

Mohavedog
08-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I read the op the same way perfessor. I don't think there is any prob if the hinge pin is slightly loose since the mold halves self align with the alignment pins on the molds when closed.

bangerjim
08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Read on my phone (small type!)

My handles have play in the handle hinge. And there is even MORE play/slop in the mold halves when the jaws are hooked up to the mold with the screws!!!!!!

Forget about it...............as they say in Jersey!

banger

nhrifle
08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Unless they are so sloppy the mould halves will not close properly I wouldn't give it much thought. Warm it up and be happy!

bangerjim
08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
If the truth be known...............you NEED a little slop in the mold halves to allow the index pins to move around and come to complete alignment. Otherwise you would have a totally stiff system that could hold the halves apart due to the forces in the handle/joints.

Slop is good.................just not too much as nhrifle said above^^^^^.

banger :guntootsmiley:

banger

Jtarm
08-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Pretty much what I thought, it's good.

Thanks folks!