PDA

View Full Version : graphite wax??????????

triggerhappy243
08-29-2014, 03:40 AM
I found a small package that contains flat sheets of SEM graphite wax. looks like regular beeswax. anyone know what its for?

leftiye
08-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Makin' boolit lube!

sthwestvictoria
08-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Is it some sort of suspended graphite in wax?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?66751-Lube-with-graphite
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?91994-Powdered-graphite-in-lube

Just don't use it in space.

gnoahhh
08-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Try pressing your case mouth through a piece of that stuff, leaving a graphite wad that will be on the base of the bullet after you seat it. The oldtimers ballyhoo'ed that trick as a means of reducing lead/copper jacket fouling and helping with extra velocity and accuracy in jacketed loads- a panacea for many ills that befall we shooters... Sounded like snake oil to me, but who knows- maybe there's some benefit. I never tried it even though somewhere buried in my treasures is a couple packages of the stuff I got a long time ago but never got around to testing.

triggerhappy243
08-29-2014, 12:33 PM
I dont do anything like that. Would it work for melt flux?

Forty Rod Ray
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
In very early 60's, I played with IPCO lube wads from Acheson Graphite Co. Used in 357 Mag and 45-70 with home made felt. No spectacular results, but no problems either.

I do not know if they are still in business. I do remember that they were a good bunch and tried to answer all questions... but then there were a lot of good guys and gals a half century ago.

bangerjim
08-29-2014, 01:28 PM
I dont do anything like that. Would it work for melt flux?

Depends on the amount of graphite and what you plan to do with the boolits.

Is the wax graphite color?

The wax will REDUCE.....NOT FLUX........Sn back into your casting pot.

If you plan on powder coating your boolits like thousands of us now do, the graphite residuals may cause the powder NOT to stick well, as graphite is an anti-static compound. Why do you think most propellant makers put graphite in there....to minimize static in your measure and allow easier pouring/loading.

You will have to just try it.

If it is just "a small package", I would not worry about using it. Paraffin wax is cheap.......buy some tea lite candles at the 99cent store! I use only beeswax as it has a higher flash point, melts better, and smells really great!

bangerjim

FLHTC
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Try pressing your case mouth through a piece of that stuff, leaving a graphite wad that will be on the base of the bullet after you seat it. The oldtimers ballyhoo'ed that trick as a means of reducing lead/copper jacket fouling and helping with extra velocity and accuracy in jacketed loads- a panacea for many ills that befall we shooters... Sounded like snake oil to me, but who knows- maybe there's some benefit. I never tried it even though somewhere buried in my treasures is a couple packages of the stuff I got a long time ago but never got around to testing.

It worked fine and the sheets were available up until about 5 or 6 years ago. They were sold in the back pages of Guns & Ammo and Handloader i believe. No snake oil but not as good as a copper check

Jtarm
08-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Isn't that what LBTs mould lube is? Graphite & beeswax?