PDA

View Full Version : New Member Just Starting up

jleneave
01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone!! I have been lurking on the site for a couple weeks now. From what I have read so far this seems like a great site. Everyone seems to be friendly, very knowledgable, and more than willing to help out.

I am just getting into casting in the last couple weeks. I have been trying to build up a supply of wheel weights before I ordered a bunch of expensive equipment. So far I have ordered a Lee Pro4 20lb production pot, a couple Lyman Ingot molds, a Lyman ladle, and a couple RCBS 10lb cast iron pots, and a RCBS thermometer. I have a couple coleman camp stoves, one old one that uses the fuel and a newer one that uses the propane bottles. I have been lucky enough to find a few places to get some wheel weights, a couple that are free and a couple that I have had to pay for. So far I have smelted 150lbs of WW into 1lb ingots and have right at 350lbs of WW that I have not smelted yet. I intend on casting for .44mag and .45LC Ruger Blackhawk revolvers that I have. I haven't ordered any bullet molds yet as I haven't fully decided on which molds to use. I also intend to order a RCBS Lubrisizer 2, lube, Lyman heater for Lubrisizer. Can anyone think of anything that I am missing or need?

I have been reloading on and off since I was 19 yrs old or about 18 years. I was forced into a medical retirement about a year ago, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I have been trying to occupy some of that time with reloading( and bass fishing weather and health permitting) and have really got back into reloading. I have been interested in casting since I first started reloading, but just never took the plunge. I am sure that I will probably worry the heck out of ya'll with questions, if that's alright? Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. I am looking forward to meeting ya'll and getting started in this hobby/addiction.

wiljen
01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
That list looks pretty complete to me. The only thing I would add is a Lee universal case mouth flaring die or a set of Lyman M dies (same purpose) for the calibers you intend to shoot. Those come in handy when reloading cast and aren't something the average reloader uses.

Welcome to the crew!

Wiljen

mtgrs737
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the site! I feel I am new to this site too as I am always learning something new! Smelting with a turkey fryer and a dutch oven for a pot will increase your capacity. Ditto on the Lee case flarer die.

I have just finished testing my home made temperture control for the Lyman lube heater and it was a complete success. Without the controller the Lyman lube heater will require you to plug and un-plug it to keep the heat at a level that will not overheat the lube (this is per the Lyman instruction manual and My tests agree).

Good luck!

testhop
01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the site! I feel I am new to this site too as I am always learning something new! Smelting with a turkey fryer and a dutch oven for a pot will increase your capacity. Ditto on the Lee case flarer die.

I have just finished testing my home made temperture control for the Lyman lube heater and it was a complete success. Without the controller the Lyman lube heater will require you to plug and un-plug it to keep the heat at a level that will not overheat the lube (this is per the Lyman instruction manual and My tests agree).

Good luck!

man that is one great control power box wish i wish i had one

mroliver77
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I prefer the Lyman M die as it gives less case tension and softer boolits dont deform when loading. It seems to me boolits start squarer.
J Oh ya, big welcome.

TxGunfighter
01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Nicely done mtgrs
TxGunfighter

Good luck!

Buckshot
01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
.............jleneave, welcome to the board. This casting thing is quite a fascinating aspect of the whole reloading portion of the shooting sport. There are quite a few things we (as casters) can do that those who spiral down the path of the jacketed slug cannot. And since we're naturally already set up to reload anyway, if the mood stikes all we have to do is pick up a box of those FLGC types.

.................Buckshot

jleneave
01-31-2008, 04:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will put the Lee case flaring die or Lyman M die on my shopping list!

mtgrs737, that is a good looking set up. I am not savy at all when it comes to electrical work, sometimes I wish I was, like now. I also agree with you about the larger smelting pot. I thought that those litttle pots would work good and since I already had the coleman camp stoves I would be set. But after already collecting a little over 1000lbs of w.w. I can already tell that set up is going to be WAY to small. I have been running around trying to get all the w.w. I can before they are either all gone or too expensive for me to afford!! I may be a little paranoid about this though, but the more I read about the high prices and the difficulty finding them I am in a paniced state......lol