PDA

View Full Version : 319289 by F. D. Shepherd, (Shield's Magazine, Vol II, No 6, June 1906)

ohland
08-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Shield’s Magazine, Vol II, No. 6, June 1906 page 408, Game Protection Company, 1269 Broadway, NY, G.O. Shields (Coquina) editor.
Accessed on Google 27 August 2014

Note: G.O. Shields was the editor of Recreation magazine.

NOTE: This was OCR'd and haphazardly edited by the lazy, good fer nuthin' Lūb Monkey. This constantly drunk monkey was saved from the hypothetical room of monkeys typing at random, trying to make a copy of all William Shakespeare's works. The references to period chemicals and powders mean nothing to Lūb Monkey, since he has no conscious idea of why they might be dangerous. All he knows is that by banging on keys that resemble what is on the screen, he gets a shot of Jungle Juice... :2 drunk buddies:

A NEW BULLET. (319289)

I have devised a new 32-40-185 grain smokeless powder bullet for target practice. I became convinced, some time ago, that a bullet could be made that would do as good work at the 200 yard target with smokeless powder as the common bullet does with black powder. Dr. Hudson has proved this, but with the doctor's bullet the rifle must be reamed out in order to seat the bullet, as a bullet using smokeless powder must be gas tight. This I would not have done to a rifle, as it would spoil the weapon for any other bullet. I designed a bullet with two narrow bands that cut into the lands of the rifle just enough to act as a guide. The third band is a little wider; the fourth wider than the third, the fifth and last band is wider than the fourth. Each of the last three bands has a slight increase in diameter, too.

I upset a bullet, drove it through my rifle, sent it with my sketch to Mr. Barlow of the Ideal Mfg. Co., and told him what I wanted. The company turned me out a mold that is perfection. It casts a bullet I can seat with ease, without reaming out the rifle, and that shoots absolutely true. I use in casting these bullets 15 pounds of lead, 1 pound of tin, 1 ounce of metallic antimony. First I melt the lead and tin, then I take a small ladle full of the melted metal and put into it the metallic antimony, heat it red hot and pour into the lead and tin, stir well, then sprinkle with granulated white ammonia hydrochlorate. This fluxes the metal together and makes it run smooth, thus casting a perfect bullet. I sprinkle on a little every to minutes or so.

When casting I skim every time after sprinkling, and there is little dross, thus making a saving in the loss of metal. No. 319-289 is a 185 grain bullet, and I use 17 grains of Dupont Rifle Powder No. 1 or 15 grains of Royal Purple, a smokeless powder I make myself. I named it Royal Purple on account of its color, a perfect purple grain, smokeless and almost noiseless. As yet I make it for my own use only.

In using smokeless powder, always have a clean rifle. There is no kick with a 185 grain bullet; no smoke in your face and no headache; your gun does not sound like a cannon every time you shoot, jarring your nerves, and making you flinch every time you pull the trigger.

This new bullet will be shown in the next Ideal catalogue. I am indebted to Mr. Barlow of the Ideal Mfg. Co. for helping me figure out the bullet. If any of the boys want to use it they can get a mold of the company, with dies for lubricator, etc. They will find that by using this bullet and smokeless powder, their work at the target will improve.

F. D. Shepherd, Salt Lake, Utah.

Green Frog
08-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks for this fantastic resource. I have owned a mould for that bullet for many years and have used it extensively in both my High Wall Schuetzen rifle and my Peregrine Bench gun. It is great to finally know where it came from. I cast mine at 25 to 1 pure lead to tin with no antimony. I guess I'll have to try it the way he suggested though.

You don't have similar information on the 319323 spire pointed bullet referred to as the "French" bullet (for WH French) do you? I've heard he was a real hot shot from Colorado about this same time frame. I bought that mould within about 6 months of the 319289, about 20 or so years ago.

Froggie

ohland
08-28-2014, 11:37 AM
You don't have similar information on the 319323 spire pointed bullet referred to as the "French" bullet (for WH French) do you? I've heard he was a real hot shot from Colorado about this same time frame. Froggie

First pass with no hits.

W.H. French - first and middle name?
Rifle caliber that he shot? Say 32-40 or whatnot.
What range or match did he shoot at?

"Do you want to fight, or do you want to surf?"

"I'll surf, Sir!"

Green Frog
08-29-2014, 10:29 AM
It may have been William H French. He was mentioned as a competitor in some of the larger matches of the day, such as the famous "Election Day Match." I believe he lived in Colorado and was active during the heyday of American Schuetzen in the last two decades of the Nineteenth Century and the first of the Twentieth. Supposedly, he shot the 319323 bullet breech seated in a 32-40, but I don't know what gun or barrel he used. If I had to guess though, I'd go with a Ballard or a Winchester high wall that was custom rebarreled by someone like Schoyen or Peterson. The only real references I have to him are a brief paragraph from either Kelver or Roberts and a mention in a turn-of-the-century match bulletin where he apparently held his own against the likes of Harry Pope.

Froggie