PDA

View Full Version : Other Folks Reloads

nhrifle
08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Mods if this is in the wrong place please move.

I know it has been hashed out thoroughly on this and other forums, but in light of today's events I feel it bears repeating. Safety and attention during the loading process (go ahead, yawn.....)

A friend told me a couple weeks ago about some .38 Special loads her father had made for her. Many would not go off and some sounded markedly louder than the rest. I told her not to shoot any more and to let me disassemble some and see what is wrong. What I found has me concerned for anyone shooting this ammo.

A handful had boolits loaded upside down. Lots of boolit shaving from improperly belled cases. Several loaded over fired primers. One primer sideways in its pocket, crushed of course. Probably a third or better of them had no powder whatsoever in the case (BIB anyone??).

All the cases are now unloaded and decapped and the brass is tumbling. I will make her some safe loads.

I know how easy it is to take safety during loading for granted. After all, it is not technically difficult and parts of the procedure can be downright mundane. But please, when you sit at the bench to load a batch, check your equipment. Make sure components are correct, everything is secure, and that the powder measure is working properly. Keep in mind just how much pressure is going off in your hand or mere inches from your eyes.

Stay safe and enjoy our hobby. Remember the "safe" part.

Goatwhiskers
08-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Just re-enforces one of my inviolate rules: I never, for any reason whatsoever, shoot someone else's handloads. GW

wild thing
08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
DO not take this the wrong way, but you say not trust someone else's reloads, then say you are going to reload for her. Just sounds wrong. John

mongoose33
08-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Early in my reloading career I had a couple of squib rounds. I caught both of them before a disaster, as each left the bullet in the barrel.

Then I ran across the RCBS lockout die. I use a Hornady LNL AP progressive, and bell the casemouth on the powder drop. The lockout die occupies station 3 and will catch either a squib load (no powder) or a double charge, and in both cases, lock up the stroke of the press. I probably haven't had it catch more than 6 or 7 rounds in probably 10,000+ rounds reloaded, but how many would be enough? For me, one.

It even has caught a couple light loads, ones that I'm sure would have worked still.

I have two, one set up for my standard 9mm and .40 loads, one for my 45's. I wouldn't reload without it, and while it's not the cheapest die you'll ever run across, it surely is the one that gives me the most peace of mind.

silverado
08-27-2014, 08:57 PM
I have one person who I would trust to shoot his reloads. Other than him, nope, don't even buy gun show reloads.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Shooting someone else's reloads is a risky practice; you don't know what they did. A blown up gun and serious injury could result. A better idea IMO would be to remove all doubt and pull down the ammo. Reuse the components if possible,but toss the powder instead of guessing what it might be. Another safe direction is to NOT load for anyone else...you don't know the condition of the firearm they might shoot it in. It is always better to be safe than sorry. LLS

obssd1958
08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
There are so many ways this conversation could go...

First - Her father loaded the bad ones - who wouldn't trust their Dad? So many folks out there don't know the first thing about what they DON'T know!! I talk to people all the time who don't know of all the resources available to help them successfully and safely load their own ammo.

Second - as helpful as it sounds, ask yourself if you are doing her a favor by you loading for her, or would it be possible to teach her how to load her own? Don't get me wrong, I load for half a dozen people that would not ever load one for themselves. It's a conscious decision that I made, and one that each person that decides to load for someone else, or let someone else shoot their handloads, should really think about.

I may not know you, but from the tone of your posts on this forum, I would guess you're a pretty good guy, and I don't think I would have any problems shooting your reloads!

my "dos centavos" for what it's worth...

xs11jack
08-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Nhrifle, I think you did the right thing. I am not sure what would cause her dad to do such a terrible job of reloading and then give the boolits to his daughter. I would, however, just to do the right thing, steer her to shot commerical loads if she does not want to learn reloading her own ammo.
Ole Jack

R.M.
08-28-2014, 01:19 AM
How many of us load for our spouses and kids? How is that different?

Cmm_3940
08-28-2014, 01:25 AM
From personal experience, this sounds like ammunition that was loaded by someone with an alcohol problem they need to get sorted out. I'd pull them all too.

FISH4BUGS
08-28-2014, 06:47 AM
I NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads. If someone gives them to me, I 'll gratefully accept them but will break them down into components.
I have blown up two guns in my days - a S&W 3914 and my S&W 76 9mm submachinegun. Good thing the 76's are built like tanks. Just blew the face of the bolt off.
I changed my reloading technique after the 76 blew up. I look into EVERY case to make sure there is powder at roughly the same level every load. I also gauge every round. Yes it slows me down but I have not had one single problem since then....knock on wood.

WILCO
08-28-2014, 07:06 AM
I will make her some safe loads.

One reloading manual I have, says not to spread your reloads around like so many Easter eggs.
The liability for you is too great. Steer her towards commercial ammunition or buy her a reloading manual to read.
We as men, tend to "rescue" women from situations. You're no hero and neither am I.

nhrifle
08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Good insights, all. Yes, I know it is a bit hypocritical to not shoot handloads from another shooter and still be willing to load for someone. If that makes me a hypocrite I'll wear the badge.

The topic of teaching her to load for herself has been discussed and she is anxious to begin. I am giving her a starter press and a good manual, but made the stipulation that she needs to get dies and a scale and showed her what's available. She is currently going over available choices and once she has the needed bits class will start. For now I am just making a couple hundred rounds so she can plink and kill soda cans safely.

I've never taught anyone to reload before, so this should be fun!

M-Tecs
08-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Life is full of choices were we trust other people. We trust other people to drive us around. We trust other people to take care of our kids etc.

I have no problem with shooting someone else's "trusted" reloads. On the other hand I know lots of folks that I would never let drive a vehicle that I am in nor would I ever shoot their reloads.

Personally I have loaded between 3/8 & 1/2 million rounds without an issue. I have taught a couple dozen people to reload and I would not hesitate to shoot any of their reloads. I have tried teaching a couple of people that I had to advise that they should not be reloading. Some people are not safe around tools nor can there use of tools like reloaders be trusted.

osteodoc08
08-28-2014, 10:29 AM
I only trust 2 peoples reloads and my father is no longer here.

opos
08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Don't give em..don't shoot em...don't trust em..never do give or take reloads from anyone

Crash_Corrigan
08-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Is life not of enough suprises? Every day I go out on the roadways of this USA and I place my life in the hands of complete strangers who are driving 2 ton vehicles at insane speeds. They are also texting, telephoneing, eating, drinking, fighting and sleeping at the same time. If any of them make an error I could die. I have had to practice evasive defensive driving techniques at least a half dozen times to prevent fatal accidents.

I also had a career where I was shot at, shot, stabbed, punched and thrown off a fire escape for twenty years and worked lousy hours for crappy pay in order to be called a Pig or worse for my efforts. I retired from that job in '84 and I have kept my head down, guns loaded and I take every opportunity I can to preserve my hide and life. Why would I ever even consider shooting someone else's reloads?

imashooter2
08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
How many of us load for our spouses and kids? How is that different?

I'm hoping, the attention to detail...

Ed Barrett
08-28-2014, 01:23 PM
I reload for my kids my grand kids and my wife. I treasure them all and we have never had a problem. I have shot reloads from some of my friends and refused to shot reloads from some other people that have the attitude of "that's good enough".

warboar_21
08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
I've had to date two squib loads and one over pressure load. None of which had any negative impact on the firearms. This over the course of 20+ years. The last one I was teaching my wife's friend to shoot and heard a pop. I quickly grabbed the gun and found a bullet slightly lodged in barrel. I went home and pulled all the rounds apart and couldn't find any other case missing powder. Since this last time I have really been paying attention to throwing the charge and double checking afterwards.
If someone gives me loads I take them home and pull the apart and load em with my own powder.

Janoosh
08-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Maybe, just maybe, your friend got her hands on, or was given ( absentmindedly by her father), the junk or mistake pile of reloads. I used to accrue a number of mistakes made while reloading and dismantle them afterwards. Now, I dismantle immediately, but, at one time, I would wait till a pile of mistakes was worth the time to take apart. Especially when using my progressive press.

FISH4BUGS
08-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Maybe, just maybe, your friend got her hands on, or was given ( absentmindedly by her father), the junk or mistake pile of reloads. I used to accrue a number of mistakes made while reloading and dismantle them afterwards. Now, I dismantle immediately, but, at one time, I would wait till a pile of mistakes was worth the time to take apart. Especially when using my progressive press.

That is a really good point. I have a coffee can (a very LARGE one) or two that is full of reloads for one reason or another I intend to break down into components. The cans are marked, and there is a 3x5 card inside the cans saying FOR COMPONENTS ONLY so no one would mistake them.....even if I am assuming room temperature....
OK for me but if I am not here any longer, hopefully they will find the cards and behave properly.

leadman
08-28-2014, 07:11 PM
I get the OP was using this as a reminder to all of us to pay attention as a mistake can happen to any one of us.

I do not shoot others reloads and weigh all rifle loads and visually inspect the powder level on all handgun rounds loaded on the Lee turret press.
I have had more problems with factory loads than my reloads so even shy away from them.

nhrifle
08-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Exactly. I just felt a need to give a safety reminder. We all have our opinions and reasons whether or not to load for another person and this is not what I was trying to stir up. I don't want to read any threads about a member with the new nickname "Lefty" or sharing the story of how they "should have been more careful". Have fun, but pay attention and never take anything for granted.

Wayne Smith
08-28-2014, 07:46 PM
It sounds to me (remember, I'm a Psychologist) that her dad may have had dementia and still tried to reload. Many older folks with dementia don't realize it.

10x
08-28-2014, 11:49 PM
The most frightening thing I have heard on a gun range is
"this load is 5 grains over the maximum in the first Hornady manual..."
That was for a 338 win mag with a 250 grain bullet in a Savage 110...

obssd1958
08-29-2014, 12:19 AM
The most frightening thing I have heard on a gun range is
"this load is 5 grains over the maximum in the first Hornady manual..."
That was for a 338 win mag with a 250 grain bullet in a Savage 110...

One of the guys that come up to our hunting camp, asked me last year to load some 300 WM for his rifle. He says "I want the 168gr ballistic tip, and load 'em 2gr over whatever the max is in the book"

:not listening:[smilie=b:

pmer
08-29-2014, 03:52 PM
That does kinda sound like the reject pile of ammo. Sorry I missed this point if it's already made but is there a plan for you and the woman to talk to the father about what happened?

nhrifle
08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
She and I already spoke about that this morning. She is fairly certain it would break his heart if she told him, so if he loads more, she will take it with a thank you, bring it home, and break it down for components. She will be rolling her own soon anyway.

Recluse
08-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Right now, if it wasn't for my reloading, neither of my daughters would be able to afford to shoot given the price of range time and factory ammo around here.

There are plenty of people whose reloads I have zero problem shooting. One is a retired Marine who was the tunnel rat in Carlos Hathcock's platoon and has a great number of Carlos' reloading charges, weights and formulas--in both long gun and .45ACP. The ones I've shot that Mike has loaded have been superb.

My dad began teaching me reloading when I was ten years old. I'll shoot anything he has loaded or will load. Our unit armorer. . . all we shot out of our .308s were his reloads. Our armorer in the USMS, I'll shoot anything he loads.

I've got a number of friends whose reloads I'll shoot and try out in any of my guns without hesitation.

I'd shoot anything that Larry Gibson or Lamar (Runfiverun) or Gear or Brad or his dad or Michael (Ranch Dog) or a number of other members I've known for a long time took off their press.

Difference is, the people I'm speaking of are handloaders and not mere manufacturers. My fellow handloaders know exactly what I speak of.

I'm also flattered that the armorers, my dad, my retired Marine friend and others without hesitation shoot my reloads because they have the same regard and respect for me and my loading methods and attitude that I do theirs.

Those who sit at a bench chugging beer and pulling the handle on their progressive as fast as they can. . . I don't even want to be in the same county as them when they're shooting.

There is a difference.

:coffee:

uncle joe
08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Just re-enforces one of my inviolate rules: I never, for any reason whatsoever, shoot someone else's handloads. GW

I had this same philosophy ...until I found a little old lady selling her brothers reloading stash. After researching him (posthumously) I discovered he was retired military machinist and had his own machine shop next to his house. From the looks of it he was also reloading for the public, or at least a handful if friends there was about 1000 rounds of various calibers if ammo with all the supplies and equipment to start from nothing. His hand loads look like custom factory ammo all new cases all I'm boxes. He was first class I would have no problem shooting anything he made, I just wish I could have met him before he passed to the other side!

cbrick
08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Difference is, the people I'm speaking of are handloaders and not mere manufacturers. My fellow handloaders know exactly what I speak of.

There is a difference. :coffee:

Yep, huge difference! I always refer to it as handloaders and reloaders.

Rick

Bello
08-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Only thing I've ever shot from someone is is 12 gauge handloads, my pistol and rifle I just do myself

pmer
08-30-2014, 09:41 AM
She and I already spoke about that this morning. She is fairly certain it would break his heart if she told him, so if he loads more, she will take it with a thank you, bring it home, and break it down for components. She will be rolling her own soon anyway.

It just seems to me that knowing her dad is loading ammo in such a way that it might of hurt his daughter or maybe himself, if not now maybe later, it would be a good idea to try. I would see if the two would go out for coffee or something and just start talking guns and loading and if he starts asking questions about his process you might be able to give some well deserved help.

tygar
08-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Never ever shoot anyone elses reloads - ever!!!!!

cbrick
08-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Never ever shoot anyone elses reloads - ever!!!!!

That's just plain silly. There are several people that I know well enough I wouldn't give a second thought for shooting their hand loads and have numerous times.

Rick

btroj
08-30-2014, 10:32 PM
I have shot other peoples reloads. People I know and trust.

if I refused to shoot reloads offered to me by 1shirt his daughter, my wife, would kill me. He did, after all, teach me to reload 30 years ago.

I won't eat food prepared by just anyone but when I see a good cook I chow down.

Common sense goes a long way, if you have any.

tygar
08-30-2014, 10:51 PM
That's just plain silly. There are several people that I know well enough I wouldn't give a second thought for shooting their hand loads and have numerous times.

Rick

Ya, well I've been loading for 50yrs & have had "Knowledgeable friends" make loads and screw up! I don't care who you are, if I didn't load it I don't KNOW it's done right! Who you going to blame if you blow up a gun & loose your sight etc. with your "friends" reloads? Oh, I guess that's just silly eh?

nhrifle
08-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Pmer that's a good idea if I can arrange it. He lives two states away and time constraints may keep that from happening for awhile but I would like to make sure he takes a good look at his process, for his own safety if nothing else. She is convinced she will never shoot his ammo in the future so that at the least is resolved.

triggerhappy243
08-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Handgun ammo.............. If one has to ever use it for self defense, it had better be factory ammo. If not,one is stepping into a major law suit.

nhrifle
08-30-2014, 11:08 PM
A Remington 1100 stands ready in that house for defensive purposes. The .38 is just for fun and for me to drool over when I visit. Gorgeous piece.

Suo Gan
08-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Absolutely not ever unless the Nazi's are beating down the door and they are all that is around.

Old uncle Clem, was a rocket scientist and he carefully hand crafted a few hundred for his dear widow so that she would have plenty when he passed...the first one flattened the primer and had to be beat out of the gun...good ol uncle Clem, such a stickler for details using shotgun powder. Seems he wanted her with him sooner than later.

waksupi
08-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Handgun ammo.............. If one has to ever use it for self defense, it had better be factory ammo. If not,one is stepping into a major law suit.

Oh, for Pete's sake, don't drag that old myth back up again. There has never been a prosecution for that, it is only a figment of Ayoob's, or whoever he is, mind.

cbrick
08-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Ya, well I've been loading for 50yrs & have had "Knowledgeable friends" make loads and screw up! I don't care who you are, if I didn't load it I don't KNOW it's done right! Who you going to blame if you blow up a gun & loose your sight etc. with your "friends" reloads? Oh, I guess that's just silly eh?

Yeah well, the factory's have "screwed up" in the past too, there are recalls all the time. Perhaps we just shouldn't shoot whenever there is no one to "blame".

Rick

Janoosh
08-31-2014, 08:17 AM
+1 Recluse.
It seems odd to me that some here state that they never shoot another's reloads. I wonder if their friend offered to shoot a firearm they owned with said friend's reloads if they would decline. I regularly shoot my friend's guns when offered (and they all handload) with the ammo offered. How many here decline.?

500MAG
08-31-2014, 08:28 AM
+1 Recluse.
It seems odd to me that some here state that they never shoot another's reloads. I wonder if their friend offered to shoot a firearm they owned with said friend's reloads if they would decline. I regularly shoot my friend's guns when offered (and they all handload) with the ammo offered. How many here decline.?
I shoot my own with my guns. Never had the situation like you are saying but I guess if I was invited somewhere and was offered their gun with their loads I would shoot. When I have friends or family come with me to the range, they shoot mine with my guns. When they bring their own guns, they shoot their own ammo. I always get the question "can I buy some from you?" The answer is NO. I'll be glad to teach them but none have stepped up for that.

duckey
08-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Sounds like she was given a bunch of "oops" reloads.

mold maker
08-31-2014, 09:07 AM
IMHO, Having a can, box, bag, pile, of known mistakes or questionable ammo around, is close kin to leaving a fused stick of dynamite and a lighter around where kids play. Sooner or later curiosity or stupidity will prevail.
There is a lock on my door and the ammo is inside an old refrigerator with another lock. Only trusted reliable folks know where the keys are.
We're not guaranteed tomorrow, but the responsibility is still on our shoulders.

Brett Ross
08-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I reload for my-self and my brother. My brother loves older obscure military rifles and I love the challange of loading for them,works for us. As for as shooting others. I shoot with guys whose reloads I will use and others I will not.

Janoosh
08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
+1 mold maker.
That is exactly why I stopped that practice. Now I de-construct mistakes at once. I also get to reuse the powder that I know and not discard because I forgot what it was.

9w1911
08-31-2014, 08:41 PM
There are a few members here I have gotten to know and I would shoot their reloads.
I have deconstructed all reloads that have come from a strange source.

shooterg
08-31-2014, 09:56 PM
That factory re-manufactured stuff at the gun shows is reloaded, right ? I've many friends I trust more than them plain white boxes. And like many, I've had factory stuff not work, although no disasters. I even had a .22 rimfire with no powder charge once !