PDA

View Full Version : New caster starter kit

silverado
08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
I would like to make a list of "minimum safe starting equipment" for new casters. I think it would really help new guys who don't know what to buy. The goal would be minimum cost to have a decent, reliable setup. My input to this would be a Lee 2 cav mold, appropriate size die, Hornady dial caliper (because that is what I have, any input to something better would be appreciated), Lee pro 4-20, cheap elbow length welding gloves (don't like long sleeve shirts), tin foil turkey roasting pans for putting the pot in and dropping boolits into, cheap towel to drop booits on, thermometer (don't know what brand, mine is lyman). I'm sure I am forgetting a few things.
The point here is a starter kit that can be expanded. I would be happy to add a "grocery list" to this first post as things are added/changed for easy reference. Anybody else here think that would be a good idea?

BrassMagnet
08-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Silverado,

I really like the goal of your idea, but I feel there is another way that is better.
I would like to propose a much better method.
All casters have different budgets and different ideas on what production level would please them.
I suggest a mentoring program where we meet a new member and teach them how to cast on our equipment.
I have been mentoring Cag40Navy. He has learned how to dipper cast and how to cast with a bottom pour pot and many types of moulds. He has a few lessons on loading cast boolits and soon we will cover various ways to size and lube boolits.

My main contention is a new caster should learn what equipment will meet his needs for quality and quantity while staying within his budget so he only has to buy one set of equipment. He can't do that with just a shopping list. He needs at least some hands on practice.

Ajax
08-28-2014, 05:39 AM
I agree with Brassmagnet it would have been a great help if i had a mentor when i started.

Andy

FISH4BUGS
08-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Good idea. Start with three kinds of budgets: low, mid-range and high budgets.
Not everyone runs out and buys a Star sizer right away. Many start small and work up from there.
Great idea though.

WILCO
08-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Anyone willing to do the research, will quite capably exact a list of materials on their own when starting out.
I say this from personal experience, as I've done so with many endeavors.

Love Life
08-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Master kit:
Lead
Something to melt lead
Something to get lead out of melted lead pot and into the mould, or use a bottom pour pot.
Mould
Lee sizing die or other appropriate dies
Mule snot or other lube
Lubesizer (if not using mule snot or pan lubing)
Gloves
Something to dump bullets from the hot mould into.
Shazam.

searcher4851
08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
I'd like to add eye protection to the list.

Fishman
08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
One of the little Lee 4 lb dipper pots works just fine with 1 and 2 cavity moulds. I know this from experience because that is what my mentor used to teach me when I was a young man. Thanks Dad!

However, one inexpensive yet oh so nice item to add to the basic list is a $10 hot plate. Preheating your mould is the quickest way to learn what good cast boolits look like. You can dip the mould in the dipper pot, but this way is much easier and doesn't cool the melt in such a small pot.

FISH4BUGS
08-28-2014, 07:00 PM
With whatever you come up with for a list, the safety instructions go regardless of which set of equipment list you put them with. No flip flops, watch out for water, eye protection, smelting fumes, fluxing, etc. Too many people get hurt because they don't know even the basic safety rules......like what causes the tinsel fairy visit.....

waynem34
08-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah it ain't rocket science. iIthunk that shouls of been in purple.

BrassMagnet
08-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Master kit:
Lead
Something to melt lead
Something to get lead out of melted lead pot and into the mould, or use a bottom pour pot.
Mould
Lee sizing die or other appropriate dies
Mule snot or other lube
Lubesizer (if not using mule snot or pan lubing)
Gloves
Something to dump bullets from the hot mould into.
Shazam.

I like the way you think!

I would rather they see some options.
I would rather they see different production levels with different equipment.
I would rather they learn how to care for the equipment.
Then I would like to see them add specific model numbers or brand names to the items in Love Life's list and prioritize that list with estimated prices so they recognize a real deal when they see it and know when to modify that priority.

BrassMagnet
08-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Now how are we going to set this up in Helping Hands?

Fishman
08-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Ron, I'm not sure how it would work. The shipping cost for some of the smaller items would equal or exceed their value. I would be willing to help if a reasonable proposal was brought forth. I will donate a sfr of WW ingots mailed to the lucky winner if you or someone else figures something out. Should be fun!

Edit - I think you might have to make your font bigger so's people can see it. LOL

BrassMagnet
08-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Ron, I'm not sure how it would work. The shipping cost for some of the smaller items would equal or exceed their value. I would be willing to help if a reasonable proposal was brought forth. I will donate a sfr of WW ingots mailed to the lucky winner if you or someone else figures something out. Should be fun!

Edit - I think you might have to make your font bigger so's people can see it. LOL

I'm not talking ship anything. I'm talking a thread in Helping Hands where new casters request a mentor and state where they are and then we try to find a local mentor to teach them how to and how to do it safely.

bobby65
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM
How about live video chat we could see you and ask questions. Would need to limit the number of people. To many questions nothing would get done. Could auction off to five people and money goes to CB or for $5 donation to CB you could watch and ask questions

bangerjim
08-29-2014, 06:51 PM
How about live video chat we could see you and ask questions. Would need to limit the number of people. To many questions nothing would get done. Could auction off to five people and money goes to CB or for $5 donation to CB you could watch and ask questions

Tons of vids on YouTube...........some good........some a load of carp.

Anybody with a iPhone or similar can easily use FaceTime with someone on the other end. We do it all the time in our company. Excellent teaching tool everybody has.

Any beginner should start reading......reading.....reading. Then watch some vids. Having a (slight) working knowledge of what is going on really helps in the vids. And helps weed out the garbage which there is a lot of!

As far a lists of equipment.......that is hard. As said, you need at least 3 monetary levels. Generic listings are probably what is needed.

But the concept is a good idea!

banger

bobby65
08-29-2014, 08:03 PM
You are talking helping hand Like
I am new to reloading and casting in south east Florida. Is there anyone in the local area with experience that would like to mentor me and at the same time have some free labor to help you reload.

BrassMagnet
08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
You are talking helping hand Like
I am new to reloading and casting in south east Florida. Is there anyone in the local area with experience that would like to mentor me and at the same time have some free labor to help you reload.

This is the kind of thing I want to set up a thread in Helping Hands for.

A thread where you can say "I need help getting started. I live in City, State" and someone else can respond with "I live x miles away. Want to learn here?"

Fishman
08-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Well now I understand and for what it's worth, I think it is a good idea.

BrassMagnet
08-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Now how do we implement it?

bobby65
08-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Some people may be shy or not want to say I need help (mentor). HELP lol
What if the people that could and would mentor where placed on a mentor list with their name, state and town. that way if someone was shy to ask for help openly they could look at the list and PM a mentor. And a looking for a mentor list for the people that are ok with asking for help openly.
One other forums I'm on people put their state in the where are you thread and then the mods put the name and place up top or in a sticky.

bobby65
09-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Don't let this die please we need it

Kimber bob
09-01-2014, 04:41 PM
One item for safety should be a good fan to draw the fumes from the hot lead away, and then if possible another larger fan to help remove it from you workshop or wherever you are working. Also never NEVER reused spoons, pots or anything else from your wife's cooking ware. Not safe to reuse, and also loss of valuable husband points :) This also apply for power coating and the use of your kitchen oven.

Love Life
09-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I learned how to cast and reload from manuals.

BrassMagnet
09-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Sometimes a picture or video is worth more than a thousand words.
I have some casting DVDs available for loan in Helping Hands.

Here is a link to the original thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238674-BrassMagnet-s-Boolit-Casting-DVD-Library&highlight=

There are ten sets making the rounds. If you get to view one of the sets, quote the original link on how they get passed around. I am no longer involved in choosing who gets them next. See the original thread for the rules on how to pass them on down the line.

Learning hands on with an instructor and coach is much better even than a video.
Let's try to find instructors and coaches for everyone that desires one. Let's not let this right and hobby go the way of lapidary. Many years ago the lapidary hobbyists thought they had a money train all reserved for themselves. They wouldn't teach anyone how to do lapidary. Now the practitioners are eighty years old or more and there is no young blood. Their hobby is dying off with them.
This right needs to live on forever!

bangerjim
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I learned how to cast and reload from manuals.

Gee......I learned to shoot..............aiming at manuals!!!!!!!!HA........ha!

banger

bangerjim
09-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Now how do we implement it?

Well for starters everybody needs to edit their profiles and list their location (hint hint!) so we know where they are located. A blank left side with an avatar does not help. Not a street address and town, but at least state or general location. Then the details can be handled by PM's as needed.

bangerjim
"I say where I am"!

Love Life
09-01-2014, 09:18 PM
In my not so expert opinion, if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.

I just read through one of my manuals and it had a large section on casting with a materials and equipment list.

starmac
09-01-2014, 10:10 PM
In my not so expert opinion, if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.

I just read through one of my manuals and it had a large section on casting with a materials and equipment list.

This is pretty much my thinking, Bbut I have been told that you jest ain't right, more than once. lol

silverado
09-01-2014, 10:32 PM
My thinking when starting with the thread was that the equipment was tough to decide on. I ended up getting a Lyman Big Dipper set, and it has worked fairly well, but I think I could have done some things differently. I thought maybe posting about it would draw opinions on the best setup someone could start out with while spending as little as possible for a well working setup. I may edit the original post later with that "grocery list" so that people starting out will see it more easily. I know opinions differ, but I do believe that a bunch of knowledgeable casters could come up with a better kit than a company who makes a kit from their products only. I have no desire to make a "one stop shop" casting thread.

country gent
09-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Some need the confidence of a mentor to get started alot of questions dont get asked or answered in forums or even pms. Some need the watching and doing to learn. Maybe like the early trades teaching we could call this the Apprenticeship program. As most machinists electricians tool makers die makers and skilled trades started as apprentices. I believe this is a great Idea for new people to the sport. Also would give some a basic idea of what its all about and helping new comers.

smoked turkey
09-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Would it work to make a "stickey" in a place on cast boolits where almost everyone goes. I assume that could be Our Town. This stickey would have a running list of those members that requests they be contacted via PM by someone who would be willing to help mentor them in the casting process or even the reloading process in general as their need might be. The list would include the location of the requester. It might be that the "elmer" doing the teaching would rather travel to their location with the necessary equipment for that particular session. After the initial session they could mutually decide if further instruction is required and determine the appropriate location for the next session. In order for this to work those experienced in casting and willing to serve in this way would have to make it a point to check the list frequently for someone in their location.

s mac
09-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I think this local mentor thing is a great idea, bump to the top.

silverado
09-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I think a list of mentors and their approximate location would be easier than the experienced guys having to check the list on a regular basis, at least let the new guys have the initiative to ask for help.

bobby65
09-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't a list with both be good
Florida
Mentor. Help needed

John Miami Dade casting/ reloading. Bobby. Broward casting, reloading
Jeff broward. Casting. Jen palm beach. Gun triggers
Keith. Tampa reloading/ gun work. Tony Leesburg Reloading

Indiana
New York

Add states as people put in there info
Just my thoughts

rem222
09-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I just joined the forum. I have learned a lot reading this thread.. Thanks..

plmitch
09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.

Well said Sir!!!!

BrassMagnet
09-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Good idea. Start with three kinds of budgets: low, mid-range and high budgets.
Not everyone runs out and buys a Star sizer right away. Many start small and work up from there.
Great idea though.

This low, mid, high idea is great, but let's improve it.

Rather than sort on "budget," let's sort on production which will follow budget fairly well and then we can further subdivide by "low cost," "low frills," "use existing," "buy used bargains when available while making do!" etc.

So let's start with Cast for one caliber muzzle loader while following:
"low cost," "low frills," "use existing," "buy used bargains when available while making do!".
1. use existing camp stove (Green Coleman white gas stove or small propane single burner stove (Can buy small or larger dipper or bottom pour later with little to no wasted funds)
Buy:
small steel flat bottom pot
single cavity round ball mould
covered ladle

Then "Add one caliber"
Buy:
single cavity round ball mould