PDA

View Full Version : Kindle/Nook

Clay M
08-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Anyone else enjoy these. My wife bought me one for Christmas a couple of years ago.
I have read all the Zane Grey novels, as well as Theodore Roosevelt's autobiography.
I am reading a lot of classic literature, Dickens, Hemmingway, and others I can get free.

I really have enjoyed my Kindle,the size makes it easy to use and I can adjust the font for my aging eyes.

Besides shooting and playing guitar,I love to read.
Anyone have some favorite authors and books?

I have no TV,I Cast,Reload,Shoot, Play Jazz,and Read.

labradigger1
08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Typing and surfing on a nook color now. My only complaints are you can not copy/paste and no camera.
Barnes and noble has about any book you want as e-books
lab

williamwaco
08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
I have a Kindel and love it.

I have known exactly two people who bought nooks and both later bought the Kindel.

JeffinNZ
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I have a Kindle. Wonderful device. To be honest though I haven't picked it up in months as I have had a few real books to get through but highly recommend the Kindle. SWMBO has a Kindle Fire that is basically a Tablet device.

08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
My wife, too, gave me a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present. Though I prefer a real book, I've download and read many dozens of free e-books -- westerns, classics, detective including as many Sherlock Holmes as I've been able to find, Teddy Roosevelt's "African Game Trails" and "Rough Riders", etc. If I wasn't so frugal I'd even buy some e-books.

Clay M
08-27-2014, 06:31 PM
My wife, too, gave me a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present. Though I prefer a real book, I've download and read many dozens of free e-books -- westerns, classics, detective including as many Sherlock Holmes as I've been able to find, Teddy Roosevelt's "African Game Trails" and "Rough Riders", etc. If I wasn't so frugal I'd even buy some e-books.

I believe I have a first or second edition of African Game Trails. I love real books too, but it is so nice to be able to hold a huge novel in a little device while lying in bed, or killing time somewhere.

Maven
08-27-2014, 06:38 PM
I have a basic, 3 yr. old Kindle as well. Although I like the convenience of ordering e-books and its portability, especially when traveling, I prefer print. Favorite authors? Lately I've been reading Allan Eckert and Kenneth Roberts, as well as modern authors. You may want to look at "Soldier Girls," which is contemporary nonfiction and really well written.

alamogunr
08-27-2014, 06:48 PM
I bought my wife a Kindle Christmas before last. Wasn't long before I had to have one. We are both addicted to mysteries and I let her buy them and I read them when she finishes. She told me the other day that she had over 500 books on her Kindle. I've got a lot of catching up to do. Don't think I ever will.

One of the best bargains I have gotten was all 5 volumes of Winston Churchill's books on WWII. They were only $1.99 ea.

nvbirdman
08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Jon Carter and I have been having fun with Dejah Thoris.

John Allen
08-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I have a kindle loaded with books I keep in my car. It seems like I am always grabbing it when I get stuck waiting somewhere like a doctors office, etc.

MaryB
08-28-2014, 01:55 AM
I have a samsung Note 10.1 tablet that has the kindle reader on it as an app. Love it, I have close to 500 books stored on it. Amazon has tons of free kindle books so never run out of reading material.

marlin39a
08-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Bought a Kindle a couple years back for around $69.00 off Amazon. I still use it nightly. Great device.

farmerjim
08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I have a Kindle. I can read a book much faster than on paper. Many thousands of free e books out there. Many libraries loan ebooks over the internet.

shaper
08-28-2014, 07:59 AM
My wife is on her second Kindel. Murder mysteries is her thing. The more blood and guts in the story the better she likes it. She has them going on the TV as she is reading another on the Kindel. I'm worried. I think she is looking for the best way to get rid of me.

Wayne Smith
08-28-2014, 08:01 AM
We have three active Kindles in the family and one dead one. It's been that long. I've replaced batteries in two of them. We have hundreds of books on them, and no book shelves to build and no boxes of books to take to the library!

The screen is really too small for diagrams and maps. For reading military history with maps the regular book is much better. I'm gonna have to pick up a hard copy of "Before The First Leaves Fall" and read it again, understanding the maps.

USAFrox
08-28-2014, 08:20 AM
It took me a long time to get to where I liked the Kindle I have. I really missed the feel of a book in my hands, and the physical turning of the pages. Pressing a button to turn a page just wasn't the same. And I love the smell of a good old book, which of course you don't get with a kindle. But I've used it enough now that I'm quite comfortable with it. Guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

I mainly bought mine because being in the military I have to move every now and then, and moving all of my books (I have multiple floor-to-ceiling bookshelves full of books) was a huge pain in the keister. I've loved reading all my life, and hate throwing things out, so my book collection is ridiculous, and something had to be done. Hence the kindle. Now I've got hundreds more books, but they don't take up any more space, or add to my weight allotment during a move.

Ed Barrett
08-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I have an old kindle keyboard with about 80 books on it. I love it.

dg31872
08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. Very handy in waiting rooms, etc. Pretty rugged too.

John Guedry
08-28-2014, 05:22 PM
My wife and I both have Nooks and they are just fine.

Lefty Red
08-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a Kindel and love it.

I have known exactly two people who bought nooks and both later bought the Kindel.

Now you know of three! I did enjoy my NOOK, but not enough books that I like. I read more with a KINDLE app on my iPhone, so I got my son a Fire XD and me a plain one. Both are happy.
Jerry

Friends call me Pac
08-28-2014, 06:06 PM
I read mine every night. I never thought I would like it but I do.

My favorite author is Pat McManus. If he doesn't tickle your funny bone talking about the outdoors I would be surprised.

Janoosh
08-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Got a nook color...and It's just fine, also.

GhostHawk
08-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm going to be the odd man out in this discussion.

I joined the Ebook revolution several years back and decided against either Kindle or Nook.
Both way to proprietary for my needs.

My wife and I both read on Etaco Jetbook's, small devices, no wifi, no color, does only 1 thing, but it does it quite well.
Jetbooks read virtually every book, text format except those of Kindle, or Sony. (Proprietary software)

The list of supported formats is quite long, it had a USB port when not much else did. Gets about 20 hours on a lithium-ion battery.
Best of all, the books do not reside on Amazon's server. They live in a 4 gig SD card (supports up to 16g)

It does not care where I find them. Project Gutenberg, Baen free library, (Well worth the visit if you do sci-fi-fantasy at all)

If I was to buy a new one now, it would probably be "EARL" or a Samsung Tablet.

troyboy
08-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I purchased a Kindle fire after my computer got a virus in Munich. Should have got one sooner. Absolutly a must have when traveling. Highly reccomended.

uncle joe
08-30-2014, 08:50 AM
I have the kindle app on my I phone and love it. The bible app by you version is great too.

monadnock#5
08-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet a couple of weeks ago. Just downloaded the Kindle App last night. My first and only purchase thus far was a copy of Fail-Safe. I tried to find a copy of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, but no such luck. This new tablet is way cool.

km101
08-30-2014, 02:00 PM
I have a Nook and a Kindle! I used the Kindle during the day as the paper white screen is easy on the eyes. But I use the Nook if I am reading at night as the backlit screen makes it easier to see without turning on a reading light and disturbing my bride. Also the nighttime mode (black screen/ white letters) is much easier to see in the dark.

I like them both and use them both. Each has different features that makes it handy for certain uses!

MaryB
08-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Lot of Heinlein books are not available on Kindle yet. Soon as they are I am buying some of them. Ghosthawk kindle books get stored in local memory and are yours until you delete them. Just like buying a physical book, you own it, just a lot harder to loan out.

monadnock#5
08-31-2014, 03:02 AM
There are more Heinlein titles available in Google Play Books, unfortunately The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress isn't one of those. With all that's available though, I won't fret for very long.

Dale in Louisiana
08-31-2014, 02:14 PM
I bought my first Kindle in 2009. It was a boon for a road warrior like me. No longer did two or three paperbacks take up space in my baggage, nor did I have to go searching for a bookstore if I finished reading something on the road.

I now have a Kindle Paperwhite, a neat thing that I can carry easily offshore, and I have Kindle apps on my iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and a couple of laptops. I like the 'synch' feature that lets me continue reading a book over multiple devices because it remembers that last page I read on all the devices as long as they can get into a network somewhere.

There's a big down side, though. It's all too easy to buy a book from Kindle. Just a couple of clicks and my Amazon account is billed and I own the book.

On the up side, though, there are thousands upon thousands of titles available free from various places, including Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/).

If you have a Kindle and you're staring at a bunch of text files, you can convert them to Kindle format with Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), a free software available for download.

dale in Louisiana

JeffinNZ
08-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Dale, you only kind of own the book when buying from Amazon. When I buy a real book I can sell it on once I have read it or give it away. Not so with the electronic version. That said, there is a big price difference so.....