PDA

View Full Version : Range trip

Love Life
08-26-2014, 06:29 PM
There I was, larger than life. I had the day off so I went to the range here to check it out.

The range is named the Mike Commander Shooting range and is run by the Georgia DNR. In order to shoot on this range you either have to have current hunting license or a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP). Since I haven't hunted since 2007, I paid the fee to get my pass and shoot on the king's land.

The range is very nice and well maintained. The pistol area goes from 50 yds to 7 yds, and the tables move so you can pick them up and move them to whatever yard line you want. They have target stands in place to staple your targets to. The only cons to the pistol range are that the 1st person there sets the range. In other words, you have to shoot on line with whoever is there (unless you get there 1st). So, if you get there and a person is at the 50 yd range, well....you shoot from the 50 yd line or wait until that person is done and then go set up where you like. Same if you get there and a person is working the super far 7 yd line. The other con is that only half the range is shaded and only out to the 25 yd line. Other than that, it is a really nice range.

The rifle range is also very nice and goes to 200 yds. The firing line is covered and you set your targets to the distance you want.

The men running the range were nice and pleasant.

While out I fired a whole bunch of 45 acp using W231, Bullseye, and AA#7. All were as dirty as eachother...

I had a good time and was able to finish my 45 acp load development with AA#7 and get a load worked up for the wife's pistol so I can load it in mass.

I would highly recommend you bring extra water and snacks to this range.

jcwit
08-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Glad you found a range to use. Close by?

Love Life
08-26-2014, 07:20 PM
About 30 minutes, but it's a pretty easy drive.

NewbieDave007
08-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Glad to hear you are set up and rolling. Fun times.