PDA

View Full Version : NOE 338 230 Frankenstein...Anybody?

cainttype
08-24-2014, 10:24 PM
I'd like to hear results with this design from people who have used it in common .338s without the deep rifling it was originally designed for. The small bore-riding section measuring .319 has me curious.
If you've shot this bullet in 338-06 or 338 Federal, I'd really appreciate your input. I'm contemplating a purchase and the insight would be helpful.

runfiverun
08-24-2014, 11:27 PM
think about that 319 area as the part that helps align things in the rifling.

cainttype
08-25-2014, 06:31 AM
I appreciate your reply, r5r.
I know that the design has quite a bit of bearing surface, but the unsupported nose section has me a little worried about nose-slump issues.
I'm hoping someone can chime in with a few details (good or bad) of results using this mould in rifles other than it's original intent. If it has performed well in a modern .338 at 1500-2000 (or more) fps, I'm sold...so any concrete examples would be much appreciated.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2014, 07:41 AM
I haven't looked at the NOE version, but the Oldfeller Frankenstein was designed for the 1895 Steyr 8x56R. It is nose riding in most of those.

cainttype
08-25-2014, 09:31 AM
I haven't looked at the NOE version, but the Oldfeller Frankenstein was designed for the 1895 Steyr 8x56R. It is nose riding in most of those.

Thanks for the reply, but that's the reason for the question, Wayne. The design has .338 driving bands and a nose section measuring .319 for the deep rifling of the Steyrs.
I'm curious about any results in modern rifles with much shallower rifling, since the nose section will not be riding the rifling. I'm thinking someone else has tried it, and their opinions and results would be much appreciated.

runfiverun
08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=34-230B-D.png

is this the one being discussed?
if so the dimensions can be altered to fit your particular rifle.
you just need to let tom know what you are thinking and the gun you plan on using the boolit in he can help you settle on which design would be a bit better for your intended purpose.

this one is a longer boolit with quite a bit of nose length to support.
I'd think 1800-1950 fps would be fine as far as accuracy went and you might be able to top 2-k with it.

cainttype
08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
No, r5r, it's a design originally intended for the Steyr 8mm, as mentioned.
There are discussions about the mould here and also on NOE's forum, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning it's use in any other firearms. The nose section is very small compared to common designs used today, but there's a substantial amount of bearing surface to fill a throat and support most if it's length.
If the nose's bore-riding section was .010 larger I'd be more comfortable. I'm hoping someone else has experience with it in a modern firearm with more common bore dimensions and can share their results and opinion on it's suitability in something like the 338 Fed or 338-'06.
Swede has a group buy going now at NOE, and I'm interested...although with a few reservations.

Hardcast416taylor
08-25-2014, 02:25 PM
I believe Bruce Brandt made this mold first when he had BRP molds up and running. I don`t believe Bruce visits this site now or he could give you a better idea of what can be done with this mold. He talked me out of getting this mold for my .338`s some years back. I can`t recall the exact reason now other than it was designed for the 8mm x 56R Steyr.Robert

cainttype
08-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Robert... I suspect that the small diameter nose is the culprit, here... I may need to just pass on this. After all, it is designed for the deep rifling.
I thought that someone here had to have tried it in .328-.330 bores, but maybe not. The Steyr's bore would provide the nose support, but any of my .338's would leave it dangling.

runfiverun
08-25-2014, 03:54 PM
okay I am way off on that pic, I got a little confused between the mold you asked about and the rifle you have, it however would be a much better option than the one you are actually asking about.
I remember having one of the steyer molds for a brief time. [like a week]
the design itself was great it was just not diameter appropriate for my purposes.

cainttype
08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd have the same issues with the .319 nose. I was wondering if the long bearing support from the drive bands allowed it to work reasonably well in a larger bore than it was designed for. I have appropriate moulds for the .338s, but was willing to add this one to inventory if I received glowing reports about it's performance in modern .338 rifles.
I do appreciate all the effort, though.