PDA

View Full Version : Yea or Nea???

Fly
08-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I have read yes & no to this question & I,m confused.Does Lee Alox work for a lube in
black powder guns or not?????

Fly:coffee:

AlaskanGuy
08-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I use it... Your Mileage may vary.. :D

1Shirt
08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
One of those issues that is trial and error. If it works for some, might be it will work for you. Try it and see, if it doesn't, you have a learning experience. Semper
Fi, Alaskan Guy!
1Shirt!

johnson1942
08-24-2014, 04:58 PM
i probably will get jumped on by the purest but i wouldnt be without it. worked great for me with real black and also now for blackhorn 209 powder. i put it on precut roundball patches and it helps make my round ball gun shoot holes in holes. i also use it on paperpatched and had one gun that i shot cast in and it was a tackdriver with it. doesnt penatrate the paper much and helps anything grip and seal the bore. i of course always wipe between shots. try it, you may really like it.

varsity07840
08-24-2014, 06:29 PM
N-SSA shooters use it on undersized roundballs in smooth bores. It's sort of a rolled on patch that
takes up the windage between the ball and bore and helps the ball move past what eventually becomes hardened fouling. It DOES NOT soften black powder fouling the way a black powder lube
does.

Duane

Hellgate
08-24-2014, 11:46 PM
My first experience with alox/beeswax standard smokeless lube with BP was a disaster. I merely loaded up .357mag cases with FFFg to the base of the bullet and stuffed a 158gr SWC lubed with the brown alox/BW (Javelina) lube and after about 15 rounds my rifle was shooting 18" patterns at 30 yds. It is possible that had I used a bullet designed for BP lube (like the "Big Lube" (TM)"grease wagon" bullets the alox/BW might have worked. Regardless, I went to SPG and various BW+olive oil or lard or deer tallow and all worked better.

carbine
08-25-2014, 08:22 AM
To reiterate what Varsity said. I use .562 Lee RBs in my .580 Cadet Musket. The RBs roughed up with Farrier files. Aloxed twice, loaded with 50 gr 3F Swiss and then the ball is pushed halfway into the tube and then the exposed ball is dipped thrice in MTM lube. Works like a charm.

Omnivore
08-25-2014, 04:17 PM
It seems then that it would depend on what the lube needs to do in your specific cas: seal a patch, prevent leading, or soften fouling. It almost certainly won't help soften fouling. If I'd already tried a lot of the traditional lubes and needed something else to try, I'd try it.

koehlerrk
08-31-2014, 08:02 AM
I did some playing with LLA cut with mineral spirits soaked into a patch on my 50 cal TC Hawken. It gave great groups, 5 holes cloverleafed at 50 yards, but then, I can get the same performance with the pre-lubed TC patches, they don't cost any more than lubing my own, and it's a lot less mess and work on my end.

duckey
08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
I use the TC Bore Butter in my TC Grey Hawk 50 cal, shooting 370 grain maxi balls. TC recommends not to use any patroleum based lubes as it will increase fouling. Honestly I am only able to put 4 shots through it using 90 GN of Pyrodex FFG. I did buy some American pioneer powder to try as it advertises less fouling using an unlubed bullet. I use the Allox for my .40 and .38 cast bullets. I am curious to try it in my .50.

Bullshop
08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
For grooved conicals with either BP or substitute you can do no better than to use NASA lube. I wager if you try it you will then afterward use none other. You can then add yourself to a long list of very satisfied conical shooters.

bigted
08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
so there ya have it FLY. some do and some dont ... like me ... the jury is still out till i opt for the trial myself.