PDA

View Full Version : Can someone lead me to a good area to learn the basics of casting?

bigarm
08-24-2014, 01:41 PM
I am sure that there is a place here somewhere that has this information, but I wasn't able to easily find it. I am considering adding casting to my reloading fun, but need direction on how to, equipment, etc. I am mainly interested in bullets for 40 and 45 acp, preferably with no lube rings for powder coating. It may be too expensive or too difficult for an old one like me to undertake, so I need direction. Thanks

osteodoc08
08-24-2014, 01:48 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

it doesn't cover powder coating but gives an overall in depth overview.

read and reread all the stickies.

claudesapp
08-24-2014, 02:12 PM
osteodoc's plan of study was my path exactly. I downloaded LASC & Fryxell writings in PDF, loaded them on my Kindle, and that became my in flight reading as I travelled for work. I also spent a couple afternoons just reading the stickies here.

08-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Lyman published four editions of their "Cast Bullet Handbook", RCBS published one manual, and the NRA published one manual and a supplement. They all cover safety, equipment, procedures, and loads. Lyman's third and the NRA can be found as PDFs. Compared to the other two, the RCBS manual is not as thorough and detailed, but should not be shunned because of that. While he doesn't get into casting, per se, Ken Waters' two volume "Pet Loads" has much in the way of cast loads.

Buy as many as you can afford and read them a few times.

This site's archive (link near the bottom of every page) has more cast boolit information than anywhere else in the universe. For a new caster to not spend much time there is doing a disservice to him/herself.

Silverboolit
08-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Find a mentor who is local. There has to be someone who will pass his expertise down. The books are great and needed reading. You tube has a lot on casting, also.

08-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Hold off on You Tube till you have a thorough understanding of all the safety aspects, the entire casting and boolit reloading process, and have read published manuals. Right now, you don't know the safe from the unsafe, the good from the bad, the competent from the idiots only seeking their 15-minutes of social media fame.

runfiverun
08-24-2014, 03:14 PM
first thing welcome aboard.
please stay away from U-tube [unless your looking for videos of people falling down]

anyway casting is super easy.
you melt some lead alloy and get it from that vessel into a warmed up mold.
dump out the shaped ingots and repeat.

we have a whole section here devoted to powder coating, it's super simple too.
shake some boolits in a whip cream tub and cook them.

a little advice,,, skip the swaging section [it gets expensive in there]

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Sure thing, south west Montana.

MrWolf
08-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Welcome aboard! You passed the first test which is realizing you need to learn the right way. These folks have a tremendous amount of knowledge that they are willing to share but only ask that you learn to check manuals, etc. I personally thought Lyman's 3rd gave me a better understanding as well as the Fryxel pdf above. Good luck.

Ron

RED333
08-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the site, casting it aint to hard, just learning is, well you can make learning as hard as you want.

John Boy
08-24-2014, 05:55 PM
anyway casting is super easy.
you melt some lead alloy and get it from that vessel into a warmed up mold.
dump out the shaped ingots and repeat.
Welcome bigarm!
runfiverun forgot the details between the melting and dumping out shaped bullets! :mrgreen:
Once the simple details are performed though - nice bullets!

bigarm
08-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. That certainly gives me something to start with. I live in NW Montana by Flathead Lake.

08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Many members live in that beautiful area.

(Are there those silly yellow animated thingies for jealousy and envy?)

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Great so head south to Dell and spend a day here. When the day is spent you will know how to cast.

John Boy
08-24-2014, 08:02 PM
bigarm - give this article a read on how to cast bullets, parts 1 & 2 ...
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Part1.htm

runfiverun
08-24-2014, 08:40 PM
I'd take Dan up on his offer.
he has poured a mountain of boolits.

bigarm
08-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Great so head south to Dell and spend a day here. When the day is spent you will know how to cast.
I will have to take you up on that offer!

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 11:43 PM
I will be pretty much available anytime before hunting season. Once I start setting out traps I kind of get tunnel vision and cant see or think anything else. At that time coyotes get my full undivided attention. Deer and elk harvest are just kind of an spin off of my coyote hunting/trapping. I don't get too excited about looking for them because sometime during the season while running traps and calling I will generally run into them.

bigarm
08-24-2014, 11:54 PM
I will get in touch with you soon. I am newly retired and so have many open days. Thanks!

wallenba
08-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Read the stickies here. If you like videos, check out http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith

303Guy
08-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Good to have you here, bigarm. Welcome aboard. :drinks:

You can ask questions right here too. We have a very good broad spectrum of knowledge and experience right here on this site.

ohland
08-25-2014, 09:40 AM
the RCBS manual is not as thorough and detailed, but should not be shunned because of that.

My first reaction to the RCBS manuel was the same. But the more I cast, I get a feeling that it is due more to good writing that the manual is short.

RCBS did a very good job with it, I wish they had another -printed- manual.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Welcome bigarm. I'm in kalispell, don't know everything about this game but I can help you get started as well. I'd take up Dans offer for sure, he has made more boolits than most of us, plus you get to see some beautiful country. Maybe we should both make field trip down there ;)

dondiego
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
"Can someone lead me to a good area to learn the basics of casting?"

You have arrived sir!

bedbugbilly
08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Lots of good advice already given for sure.

I have cast for 50 years - mainly by "the seat of my pants" and learning the hard way. I did want to add though that if you can, get a copy of Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook". I recently picked up the 3rd Edition and wished I had come by one years ago. Great information on casting, reloading, etc. and I am really enjoying the Load Data it has. Already been mentioned but I wanted to express how much I enjoy it and it's probably the one casting/loading manual that I use the most now.

Like anything else in life, the only way you'll learn is to "jump right in" and try it. Be safe and pretty soon you'll be casting like a "pro". Good luck!

gwpercle
08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks #4 and, if you can, #3 edition. Lots of great information contained. The #3 Manual got me going and is still my "go to" cast reference.
Take U-Tube stuff with a large dose of salt. I saw an idiot reloading, not properly, proceed to blow up his gun, then he posts it on u-tube????? Why show off how dumb you are????
Welcome to the forum and load safe.
Gary

Bullshop
08-25-2014, 06:01 PM
If your a slow learner and think you may need more than a day you can camp here at my place or book a cabin at the Del Merch where my wife works.
I would invite you to stay at my house but I don't know you well enough to dislike you that much.

bigarm
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM
If your a slow learner and think you may need more than a day you can camp here at my place or book a cabin at the Del Merch where my wife works.
I would invite you to stay at my house but I don't know you well enough to dislike you that much.

That is funny! My wife would most likely come along and we could make a mini vacation out of it. I take it the Del Merch is a motel?

bigarm
08-25-2014, 09:30 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

it doesn't cover powder coating but gives an overall in depth overview.

read and reread all the stickies.

Got through safety and chapters 1 and 2 last night. Started on 3, but need to take that chapter slowly as is is over my head.

Garyshome
08-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that fry... link!

Bullshop
08-26-2014, 12:08 AM
That is funny! My wife would most likely come along and we could make a mini vacation out of it. I take it the Del Merch is a motel?
No not a motel its the local gas stop and general store. They have a few cabins they rent out. They are pretty complete with about everything you need to be comfy.
Number there is 276-3332 or you can just talk to my wife here.

bigarm
08-26-2014, 12:23 AM
Great!

44man
08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Right here is an accumulation of more cast knowledge anywhere. Search and read. It trumps all books you buy.

44man
08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
I will be pretty much available anytime before hunting season. Once I start setting out traps I kind of get tunnel vision and cant see or think anything else. At that time coyotes get my full undivided attention. Deer and elk harvest are just kind of an spin off of my coyote hunting/trapping. I don't get too excited about looking for them because sometime during the season while running traps and calling I will generally run into them.
Glad to see you still have "get up and go". I could spend many hours with you. My "go" has got up and gone! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Bullshop
08-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I think it only fitting that when my go is gone it takes place on the trap line where the coyotes can plunder what's left of me.

44man
08-26-2014, 11:22 AM
I think it only fitting that when my go is gone it takes place on the trap line where the coyotes can plunder what's left of me.
Love you my friend. keep it up.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-26-2014, 11:23 AM
t takes place on the trap line where the coyotes can plunder what's left of me.
Make a quality hot sauce part of your diet and they'll leave yer carcass alone :)

Bullshop
08-26-2014, 11:43 AM
I can not live without Tabasco! On the really cold days I put cayenne powder on my toes before putting on my socks, for real.
It helps stave off frozen toes from sitting after a walk about and having sweaty feet. I think it is absorbed into the skin when the pores are open while sweating and that improves blood flow to the cold toes so the improved flow of warm blood helps keep them warm. Kind of like opening up the flow valve the old type iron steam radiators, more flow more heat.
We even feed it to chickens when its real cold. It tricks them into thinking they are warm so they keep laying eggs in winter.

6mm win lee
08-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Amen to that. Any day, even my last day, on a trap line is better than any day at work.
I would let saber-toothed squirrels finish off what was left of me.

Six

dale2242
08-26-2014, 04:12 PM
I do not trap but, some of my best childhood memories are tagging along with our Oklahoma raised neighbor that was an excellent trapper.
This man was true professional.
He let me come along while he trapped coyotes, bobcat, beaver, and river otter.
There is a big move here in Oregon to stop all trapping.
Oregon Hunters Association is fighting this move.
First they take away baiting for bears and hunting bear and cougar with dogs.
Slowly they take away our methods of good game management.
Even if you don`t agree with trapping, baiting or hunting with dogs, you need to support these people, hoping they will support you when the radicals try to take away the method you use while hunting.
Good on you , Dan.
Brings back good memories...dale

44man
08-26-2014, 04:47 PM
They will never understand that too many predators ruin game numbers. We never seen rabbits here until a neighbor started shooting fox after his chickens. Now I see rabbits again. I am pleased to see them in the yard even though I don't hunt them anymore. No yotes yet but they will be shot as fast as we see them. It was just out of balance here with fox because a hide was not worth trapping. Predators do fit in if controlled.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-27-2014, 11:31 AM
They will never understand that too many predators ruin game numbers. .

Yeah, our retarded fish & game cant give away hunting license any more becasue there is no deer and elk left.
Now they are saying they have to raise the prices on tags to replace lost income from not selling tags! ***?
All because we just had to have wolves again :evil:

Bullshop
08-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Maybe your missing their point which I believe is to phase out hunting accept for the very wealthy. When hunting became ""SPORT"" like hockey football and base ball it was the death kneel for subsistence, ""FOOD"" hunting. Like in Europe it is slowly being taken from those that need it and given (sold) to those that can afford it.

Shiloh
08-27-2014, 02:00 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

There is a combined thousands of years of collective knowledge on the Cast Boolits Forum.

Shiloh

bigarm
08-27-2014, 05:11 PM
No not a motel its the local gas stop and general store. They have a few cabins they rent out. They are pretty complete with about everything you need to be comfy.
Number there is 276-3332 or you can just talk to my wife here.
Pay day (as it is) is Friday. Would you be available shortly after that? I will talk to my wife about a good time, but I think shortly after Friday will work for us, if it will work for you.

WILCO
08-27-2014, 05:37 PM
first thing welcome aboard.

Ditto & this book:

gsdelong
08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
I would almost drive to MT to spend a day with Bullshop and it is a long drive, don't miss a great opportunity

Bullshop
08-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Pay day (as it is) is Friday. Would you be available shortly after that? I will talk to my wife about a good time, but I think shortly after Friday will work for us, if it will work for you.
Yes but give warning of when you leave. We still have 8 kids at home, nuf said.

bigarm
08-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Great! My wife and I will talk. It would probably be Saturday or Sunday. I should probably also see when the place has cabins available. That would certainly make a difference.

44man
08-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I hope it takes place, to sit and "shoot the bull" with Bullshop would make my day. Not to be when I depend on the tooth fairy to buy primers! :violin:

Bullshop
08-28-2014, 11:01 AM
If you have any molds you want to run better bring those.

bigarm
08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Don't have any casting equipment. Think I want to learn what I am doing (or at least what to do to get started) before buying anything, I just realized that this weekend is Labor Day. Not important to me, but maybe you have plans. Let me know. I will call the Merch and check on cabins.

bigarm
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Just made reservations at the cabins for Saturday night. Hope that works out for you.

DeanWinchester
08-28-2014, 12:50 PM
That's AWESOME.

Kings to you Bullshop for passing on the knowledge.

Bigarm, if you don't get the basics after a day with Bullshop, maybe you oughta take up golf.:mrgreen:
Seriously though, my best piece of advice for this forum is PATIENCE. I went crazy when I first joined, trying to absorb what I was reading. Unless you have an eidetic memory or a positronic brain, you probably will get flustered several times before things start to clear up. Once you get used to this place though, you won't wanna be without it. I'll bet you what ever you wanna know....the answer is here.......somwhere:?

Bullshop
08-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I have no other plan than to teach you how to cast. I bet we have a boolit caliber and design you can use in your guns so you don't need to bring a mold. I just thought it may be more satisfying to run your tools with your hands.
Wouldn't hurt to bring some lead if you have some.:mrgreen:

bigarm
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Well bringing lead makes sense. Where would I pick some up?

Bullshop
08-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Oh my you do have a lot to learn. You might stop at Pacific Steel recycling on you way through Missoula. You have to go right by it.
If not don't worry I have some.

bigarm
08-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Oh my you do have a lot to learn. You might stop at Pacific Steel recycling on you way through Missoula. You have to go right by it.
If not don't worry I have some.
Yes I do have a lot to learn! But I learn fast. My mother always told me she called me Sonny because I was so darn bright! I think she was being sarcastic. I will stop by there on the way through Missoula.

bigarm
08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
We will be leaving tomorrow morning. Will need a contact number to reach you when we get there. Thanks