PDA

View Full Version : How big is to big- boolit diameter

mjwcaster
08-24-2014, 01:21 PM
How big a boolit is too big to shoot unsized?

I am new to casting and starting with a 45 acp and my first session of cast boolits.
I have not slugged the barrel (Springfield XD45) so I am just aiming for .454.
Loading as-cast-unsized. lubed with LLS 45/45/10.

Mold- Lee 452-230-TC,
range scrap
casting 233-235 grains
.454 fairly evenly, measured 90 degrees apart.

I am measuring with calipers (I know, a micrometer is on my list to buy).
While I am not a machinist I seem to get repeatable readings, and accurate on known purchased, sized bullets.

While sorting my first casting session I found some with large parting lines.
These weighed 237-238 gr and measured .454x.460

I figure they would not even chamber in this gun, but don't know for sure yet.

If I had missed these oversized boolits, loaded them and they managed to chamber, how bad could it be?

I know there is no definite answer, it will depend on the bore size, lead hardness, powder type and charge used and probably how I hold my tongue .

But where does shooting too oversize start to become dangerous?

Matt

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Range scrap is pretty soft...and no problem in the low pressure of 45acp loads...Don't hot rod and you'll be fine.

If the loaded ammo chambers in your gun, you are fine to shoot it.
The Barrel is the ultimate boolit sizer.

NOW, unless I have a mold that casts a nearly exact size boolit for my needs, I tend to size everything, WHY? when loading ammo, consistency is what it's all about for accuracy. When you're loading some .454 and some .460x.454 and they still chamber, they'll by fine for plinkers, but if you start shooting for accuracy at longer distances, you will surely see fliers.
Good Luck.

mjwcaster
08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks Jon.

For now I am just looking for short range plinkers, heck our pistol range is only 23 yards.
I do plan on sizing in the future, but getting started on the cheap right now.
And I do plan on moving over to the rifle range with the pistols in the future also.

Matt

tazman
08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
For your stated use of plinking, anything that will chamber in your pistol will be reasonably accurate. As the previous poster said, when you begin trying for ultimate accuracy you will become more picky.

runfiverun
08-24-2014, 03:16 PM
reasonable until you run into a new pistol without a throat and it just keeps on stripping that extra lead away until the gun don't work anymore.

tazman
08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
reasonable until you run into a new pistol without a throat and it just keeps on stripping that extra lead away until the gun don't work anymore.

True. I don't have experience with a lot of pistols, just mine. Considerations change with the pistol.
Mine happens to have a long tapered throat and generous chamber dimensions so I have avoided a bunch of problems.

As runfiverun said, If your barrel has no throat to speak of, oversize boolits can build up lead shavings in the front of the chamber to where the cartridge won't chamber.
I had forgotten, but I had that problem with a 30carbine once about 30 years ago.

RobS
08-24-2014, 03:48 PM

This can happen. I don't know about the throats on the current production Springfield XD's but the older one I had definitely did "scrape" the lead off the larger diameter boolits. When using the Lee 452-230 TC there is a bit of a work around in that if a person seats the boolit right at the start of the ogive or a touch over and crimp then the boolit will likely not be shaved as the crimp will size the boolit down on the front end and typically with softer alloys such as range scrap the sized brass will swage the rest of the boolit from that .454ish area down to .452 or even .451. I've been here and done it! The best route is to throat the barrel like I did and then be able to size as needed but this isn't always on the plans of a person's wallet. If they chamber and you are not getting a ring of lead at the end of the chamber that builds up and prevents other rounds from going to full battery then you are good to go. If not then you may try what I suggested with the seating depth and crimp. I typically crimp at .470" at the very edge of the case mouth.

mjwcaster
08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
My XD definitely has a short throat / sharp transition.
Ran into this loading up some S&S casting 230gr round nose.
I had set up the OAL using some Lasercast 230gr RN and then when I started actually loading I used the S&S 230gr RN.
The S&S have a sharp shoulder, not a smooth transition like the Lasercast. I loaded up 10 test rounds without my XD in hand (won't make that mistake again).

One of the first test rounds I tried to fire got jammed into the throat, keeping the gun from going into battery, jammed so hard it took me a minute to get the slide pulled back.
Funny thing was the first few shots I fired as mag fed singles and they chambered fine by hand, but when I went to shoot the rest from the magazine the second shot jammed up.
Not sure if it was longer or if it got seated harder from firing (not sure why that would be)

Those were HiTek coated .452 sized commercial bullets.

Shortened the OAL a little more and that went away (shortened to where the shoulder was just inside the case mouth and crimped.

I just loaded a dummy round with my cast 230TC and my OAL looks pretty close to perfect for this boolit, 1.180, seated to right at the ogive transition.
Passed the plunk test in my chamber (see I am learning).

Also I just took a lubed boolit and used a rod to push it into the throat tight and it shaved lead.

Will have to keep an eye on that area while shooting.

I do plan on reaming out the throat on this gun, but it might be a while so I will try to load around it for now.

runfiverun
08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
take note of your taper crimp diameter.
you might be able to finagle it a thou or two and avoid some of the leading issue.

I generally load my 45's so that the front drive band is flush with the case mouth, many say that's the wrong way to do it. [I even bump on a roll crimp for one of my acp pistols]
100% function, no leading, and hitting the plate somewhere within it's 4" circle with a bone stock milspec 1911 is plenty good for me.

mjwcaster
08-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a good plan 5RR.
I really need to think about a 45 acp throat reamer, I just listed my glock 20 (full size 40 cal) up for trade for an XDs45.