PDA

View Full Version : A new one on me

Lead melter
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Anyone got any experience with the Lyman 429???. I can't recall the numbers, but it is the 240 grain RN/FP with very slight bevel base.
I cast up a few today and look to try them on the morrow. Will be using a Marlin 1894-P for tests.
I don't want to push them too hard, as the alloy was simply mixed range lead...no idea of BHN, but they sure do look pretty.
Got any suggestions, I know Buckshot is just chomping at the bit to tell me what I can do with [or where I can put ] those boolits!!!!:-D

Leftoverdj
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Try http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm It's an excellent source for data on plain based bullets.

beagle
01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Your'e probably talking about the 429667. Has a bevel base.

I've not gotten really good accuracy out of mine so I removed the BB. Haven't had time to shoot any since I did that./beagle

Pavomesa
01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Most likely you'll have to really keep the velocity down to prevent some leading. But if I were you, I would experiment with some loads using pistol powders. 2400works great with cast bullets. I suspect Blue Dot and even Unique would do pretty good as well.

Let us know!:)

Lead melter
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, gave them a wringing out today. Wind was, and still is terrible. Loaded 20 rounds over 10 grains Unique and a Winchester primer, lubed with 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 Vaseline. One flyer, which is my fault, the other 10 on paper into a 2 1/2" group at 50 yards. Not the greatest accuracy, but I didn't expect that much to start with. Unique has never given me the best accuracy compared to some other powders, but it works and is relatively cheap.

The other ten were shot into a couple 4X4's lying around...decent grouping for a ten-year-old, and as you might expect, terminal results in pine were pretty good.

My usual take on accuracy is to look at it in the practical sense. A 2 1/2" group at 50 yards translates into a 5" group at 100 yards. Plenty of accuracy to take deer-sized game, or really even ground hog sized game, at the range I believe to be maximum for this load combo. Come to think of it, I know a fellow who has killed 4 whitetail with the same basic combo, just fired from a 4 1/2" barrel Blackhawk, out to 50 yards. Seen in this light, maybe the first results weren't all that bad, and maybe just a little tweaking is in order.