PDA

View Full Version : suggestions from the accurite catalog

edadmartin
08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
I looked at Toms accurite mould catalog and am more confused than before.I want to cast for a federal 327 magnum. the first mould will not be for gas check as it is a revolver, Id like a 100gr boolit to get close to gas check fps but not over so maybe 1100-1300 ?? Please make some suggestions. also I havent slugged the gun but Id guess a .314 would be a starting point yes no ??

shooter93
08-23-2014, 07:09 PM
I have found so often that when I tell Tom what the firearm is and what I want to do with it he never steers me wrong so I order what he says. And it never hurts to slug a barrel and check chamber sizes.

runfiverun
08-23-2014, 10:58 PM
talking to him is never a mistake.

anyway you have a few choices to make especially on the nose shape.
a generic boolit I'd be happy with in any caliber would be something with a strong base band, a good lube groove of almost drive band length [@70%] and a little bit of full diameter above the crimp groove.
I'd of course pick a rnfp nose design [shrug]
my 32 cal boolit of choice is the rcbs 098-rnfp, it comes out a tick over 313 and I size/lube to 313 to insure it's round.
I poke it along in my 30 carbine Blackhawk using cut down and blown out 32-20 brass and stoke it along with
32-20 loads, it's going about 1-k fps without issue.

edadmartin
08-23-2014, 11:43 PM
runfiverun I like the way you think,If you cant get brass modify something else. Ill take your suggestions to heart.

TomAM
08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
I have found so often that when I tell Tom what the firearm is and what I want to do with it he never steers me wrong so I order what he says. And it never hurts to slug a barrel and check chamber sizes.

This is something which is frequently overlooked. People often ask me for a recommend design for a given cartridge without mentioning the firearm(s), the intended use, or any other priorities considered.

It's really just a matter of fit, whether you want to take advantage of chamber length that's longer than SAAMI specs, whether you value a large meplat over a higher BC, and your personal preference about nose shape.

chloe123
08-24-2014, 01:48 PM
I sold a 32-20--Ruger large frame--revolver and I used a Lyman design, maybe 311316.
It dropped closed to 115 grains, in. GC design, I think 100 grains is a little light for the length of your cartridge but that's your preference.

I just placed an order with Accurate Molds. Tom was very helpful, and patient. I'm surprised you haven't easily found a design in his catalog you were interested in. In my case there were several designs across multiple calibers that were perfect for what I wanted.

When, I had an idea for a modification, I simply wrote Tom. He responded promptly, especially based on the fact that he's likely working on projects.

Regarding sizing, I sized .313 . But, best bet is to slug the bore