PDA

View Full Version : 9mm case bulge.

Lucky Joe
08-22-2014, 07:52 AM
I have a Glock 19 and I have a 9mm cylinder for a Ruger Blackhawk. After firing the Glock and reloading the brass it will not chamber in my Ruger because the Glock leaves a bulge on the brass. How do I take that bulge out of the brass. No problem with new brass or previously fired revolver brass.

Sgtonory
08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Lee bulge buster would work.

HATCH
08-22-2014, 08:07 AM
its the glock bulge...

You have three solutions to your problem

(1) get a replacement barrel for your glock (stormlake, ect)

(2) use a lee CARBIDE factory crimp die - some people don't like this because they say it sizes the boolit in the loaded case but its what I use and it works just fine.

(3) Lee bulge buster - This will require a single stage press, a lee FCD and the bulge buster.

I would do both #1 and #2 above. This will extend the life of your brass if you are reloading the same ones. To be honest with 9mm and 40 sw, I am not so critical on picking up the brass. Both those calibers are widely available in the once fired market place.

dudel
08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Never heard of a 9mm Glock with bulge problems. .40 yes; 9mm no. Suppose it's possible. Options include:

1) getting a barrel with tighter chamber (Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, etc)
2) use a bulge buster (Lee or Redding),
3) make sure your sizing die is not too loose and that it's correctly setup.
4) A Lee Carbide crimp die should also bring the rounds in spec. They are much maligned; but I use them without any problem.

Lucky Joe
08-22-2014, 09:37 AM
I will give these suggestions a try. Not ready to change barrels just yet as the Glock gets little use. I have several thousand rounds of picked up and once fired brass with revolvers in mind, so I'll give these a try. Lee does not make or recommend a buster for the 9mm in an unsupported chamber, however the cylinder in a revolver should be safe, least to my way of thinking.

tomme boy
08-22-2014, 09:43 AM
9mm brass is so abundant, I just leave them lay on the ground. If I do pick them up, they go to the scrap bucket. Problem solved for me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2014, 09:43 AM
I was under the impression that the Lee bulge buster didn't work on 9mm Luger due to it being a tapered case.

Ben
08-22-2014, 09:49 AM
According to Lee :

9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster with a 9mm Factory Crimp Die because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case. To get the 9mm Luger to work with the Bulge Buster Kit, a 9mm Makakarov Factory Crimp die is needed.

Lucky Joe
08-22-2014, 09:50 AM
JonB, Apparently you are right according to the Lee site.

"Quote from Lee site"
NOTE:

9mm cases are not to be used in the Bulge Buster because they have a slightly tapered case and their rim is not completely flush with the case.
9mm Makarov Factory Crimp Die must be used for the 9mm Luger
Bulge Buster will repair rimless cases when used with the Lee Factory Crimp Die

WARNING:GLOCK CASES: Lee Precision does not recommend "fixing" cases fired in pistols with unsupported chambers, because they can't be made safe once they have bulged. The case wall is thinned where it bulges. Resizing the outside of the case back down to the correct diameter will not restore the case back to its original thickness. If such a bulged case is fired in a pistol with an unsupported chamber again and this thinned section of brass happens to line up with the unsupported part of the chamber, there is a high probability that the case will rupture.

Shiloh
08-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Never heard of a 9mm Glock with bulge problems. .40 yes; 9mm no. Suppose it's possible. Options include:

Likewise.

I suppose it could happen, but have never had an issue with 9mm Glocks.
No issues with the .40 S&W after putting on an FAC barrel (Old Federal Arms Corp now defunct)

For once fired range pickup in .40 S&W, the LEE system can't be beat.

Shiloh

DeanWinchester
08-22-2014, 11:46 AM
You won't like what happens with the bulge buster and a 9 mm.
I shattered the carbide ring on one several years ago before I knew better. I didn't know he 9mm was technically a semi-rimmed case. Did three cases and CRUNCH. It pays to read and not assume.

silverado
08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
I did know about the 9mm being a "tapered" case, but not about the semi-rim. Learn something new everyday. Also... 9mm brass is cheap enough to scrap. I try to get a hundred or so new ones every range trip. Or just get a new barrel as has been said. That is one of 2 reasons I do not plan on buying any glocks.

DeanWinchester
08-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I did say TECHNICALLY. it's only like three thousandths.

tomme boy
08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
That is so funny that LEE put a warning to not use a case that has a bulge as it is unsafe. But yet they make a kit to fix the very thing they are warning against.

DeanWinchester
08-22-2014, 12:36 PM
That is so funny that LEE put a warning to not use a case that has a bulge as it is unsafe. But yet they make a kit to fix the very thing they are warning against.

Thats how you make money and cover your legal behind. Yes, its pretty funny.

xacex
08-22-2014, 12:43 PM
I solved this problem by replacing with a Glock 30.:bigsmyl2:

bangerjim
08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
I fixed ALL my no-load no-cycle no-"plunk" problems in 9, 40, 45ACP semi's with the appropriate size LEE factory crimp die. I do not understand why so many "in the know" on here malign this very useful die. And it only costs about $11.00.

Semi's are very senitive to case bulges/size and it DOES solve the problem. You just have to use common sense with adjusting it and not smash down on the boolit too hard and resize it in the case!

That is in MY guns and MY equipment. YOURS may be different......YOUR mileage may vary.

Good luck finding the solution that solves your problems. I am sure you will get at lease 25 differnent solutions on here!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

HATCH
08-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I had issues with 9mm using dillon dies. They wouldn't chamber.
Switched over to lee carbide dies (including FCD) and it fixed everything.

dudel
08-22-2014, 01:55 PM

They did the same with the old hand primer. It's a priming tool; yet they warned not to use certain brands of primers in it. Never saw that warning on any other priming tool.

W.R.Buchanan
08-22-2014, 02:24 PM
I am the person who suggested that Lee Precision make a kit to de-bulge .40 S&W cases. I called them to get a single die and the guy asked what I was using it for. I told him the story of how bulged brass in .40 S&W's was a problem and that people on YouTube were using the FCD with the taper crimp removed to de bulge the cases before reloading them normally.

I also told them it would be a good new product for them and apparently they listened as the Bulge Buster Kit came to market 3 months later. As such I'm takin' credit for it. YOMCWM! (Your opinion may conflict with mine.)

I don't buy that the brass is thinned out any significant amount at the bulge. And I don't buy that resizing it in a FCD does anything more than sizing the case in a normal FL sizing die. I think that statement was a CYA statement. If it was true then it would be unsafe to reload any ammunition and Lee would be out of business.:coffee:

I don't see why they decided that they needed to include 9MM and .45 ACP in the instructions, as I indicated that the problem was peculiar to .40 S&W.

Randy

dakotashooter2
08-22-2014, 05:43 PM
I am the person who suggested that Lee Precision make a kit to de-bulge .40 S&W cases. I called them to get a single die and the guy asked what I was using it for. I told him the story of how bulged brass in .40 S&W's was a problem and that people on YouTube were using the FCD with the taper crimp removed to de bulge the cases before reloading them normally.

I also told them it would be a good new product for them and apparently they listened as the Bulge Buster Kit came to market 3 months later. As such I'm takin' credit for it. YOMCWM! (Your opinion may conflict with mine.)

Randy

Al ? Is that you?

Bullwolf
08-22-2014, 11:14 PM
I have a Glock 19 and I have a 9mm cylinder for a Ruger Blackhawk. After firing the Glock and reloading the brass it will not chamber in my Ruger because the Glock leaves a bulge on the brass. How do I take that bulge out of the brass. No problem with new brass or previously fired revolver brass.

I assume you are describing the bulge or guppy belly in the base of the brass, and not wasp waisted 9mm.

Often soft brass, and higher pressure loads fired in an unsupported chamber yield this sort of bulging result.

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4025/9mmhip2.jpg

If the bulging is mild, I use a carbide die, or undersize die and a shaved shell holder to remove it. If I cant easily re-size the base again I toss the brass.

I've often heard this referred to as a Glock Smile. While I do not own any Glock pistols, they are not the only guns capable of doing this. Many guns out there have moderate or minimal case support, and often no problems will arise from it.

If the bulge is obvious like this, I scrap the brass because I don't want to experience a case failure.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk146/Iowegan_photo/smile45case-1.jpg
I'd probably fire mildly bulged resized brass in a revolver (if it fit) but I wouldn't fire the brass again in an auto with an unsupported chamber after resizing the bulge.

It would be too easy for me to mix the brass up. I would be more likely to segregate all my bulged brass head stamps, and scrap it, or leave it on the ground someplace to corrode away to nothing, rather than taking the chance of mixing it up with my other 9mm brass.

If it happened often, I'd buy a aftermarket barrel with more chamber support because I'd be worried about the unsupported base area blowing out on me at some point.

http://www.camptechnologies.com/images/Glock/Unsupported_45acp_chamber.jpg

I'd be even more worried about it this with a Glock or any other plastic framed gun, instead of an all metal handgun as a blow out will likely crack and ruin the plastic frame (serialized receiver part) and cut my hand when it happens. In a pistol with a metal lower it tends to just blow the magazine out of the mag well, and you just get a big scare, and some brass fragments.

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/61386.gif

I would hate to restrict myself to only shooting extremely light loads in the gun. It would annoy the heck out of me if one gun messed up the brass for all my other 9mm firearms. I'd either get a later gen barrel, or an aftermarket barrel to prevent this from happening, or else I would get rid of the pistol.

- Bullwolf

MGnoob
08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
I never seen a bulge like Bullwolf (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?18790-Bullwolf) 's photo shows...I only use brass i pick-up and run it through a case pro, anything that jams due to bad rim or burrs from extraction get scrapped. When running the machine if you listen close you can hear how much they are being sized and if they are cracked or not..
it's not a very practical suggestion due to the cost of the unit compared to a $10 fix suggested above.

I run my brass through this machine every-time i reload it, before this i had to use a case gauge on every round....this was my solution to the 2 cartages per 1000 that would jam up...Over-kill definately, but it make me happy.

Psypher
08-25-2014, 11:37 PM

Now you wil all have me checking my 9 brass from my 19 the next trip to the range with factory ammo.

First rule with Glocks, don't shoot reloads through the factory barrel unless they are jacketed. I went with a storm lake for my 17 and a lone wolf on the 19. The LWD arrel shoots much better than the storm lake. I have zero problems feeding these to other semiautos, but a revolver may give tude due to the likelihood of moonclips.

MGnoob
08-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Now you wil all have me checking my 9 brass from my 19 the next trip to the range with factory ammo.

First rule with Glocks, don't shoot reloads through the factory barrel unless they are jacketed. .................

I don't own a glock but what would whether the projectile is jacketed or not have to do with case bulge/or blowout do to poor support from the stock barrel?
i am assuming your going to say pressure or pressure curve?

tomme boy
08-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Oh NO! the you can't shoot lead in a Glock comment!:popcorn:

Bonz
08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
I run all my 9mm brass thru my CasePro roll sizer

Psypher
08-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Oh NO! the you can't shoot lead in a Glock comment!:popcorn:

Can and have in the EXO treated barrel. My aftermarket barrel performed better and had a different feel in the recoil. What I witnessed in Georgia was a crushed polygon rifling from lead reloads. You can bet it was improperly sized.

So, if someone can explain the differing feel of the recoil I would like to better understand that.

Psypher
08-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't own a glock but what would whether the projectile is jacketed or not have to do with case bulge/or blowout do to poor support from the stock barrel?
i am assuming your going to say pressure or pressure curve?

My mashup didn't clearly send the message. Case bulge is not something I have looked at due to using my aftermarket barrel so much. The next time I go to the range with the 17 amd 19 I will check the barrels, oem and aftermarket. Fire a coiple from each and bag them for researching the bulge.

I have reloaded brass from my oem Glock barrels without issues. BOLO is taken into consideration now. Love this group just for that reason.

dkf
08-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Can and have in the EXO treated barrel. My aftermarket barrel performed better and had a different feel in the recoil. What I witnessed in Georgia was a crushed polygon rifling from lead reloads. You can bet it was improperly sized.

So, if someone can explain the differing feel of the recoil I would like to better understand that.

How do you crush hammer forged hardened steel rifling with a lead bullet that was more than likely well under 20 BHN?

tomme boy
08-26-2014, 11:00 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

Psypher
08-26-2014, 11:49 PM
It wasn't mine and not my ammo, so I have not a clue. I would not have taken notice if he hadn't put it next to the barrel of my G30. It didn't matter to me since I always shot factory ammo until the past year or so. I would wager it was not sized right, but being a pup in reloading that would be only an assumption and not something I am willing to test.

I'm a big, gotta see it to believe it guy. I received this little nugget of education about the time I bought my first CZ-52 and was force fed headstamp education on the 7.62x25, same guy.