PDA

View Full Version : Gloat thread plain and simple

Bullshop
08-21-2014, 09:50 PM
I just hate when people gloat about their new stuff but now suddenly I feel the need to do it myself.
Today I received from my eldest Son lovingly know here at CB as Jr..
He was kind enough to entrust me ( until I kick) with a lovely little Marlin 94 chambered in 25/20 wcf.
This for me is a replacement rifle for the one I gave my adopted Dad when we had our last visit in this world.
I had in anticipation gathered the needed items to shoot this when it arrived so was prepared when it arrived. I had already cast some boolits from an old Winchester mold marked 25/20 that I had on hand from my previous rifle. The mold casts an 85gn flat nose plain base boolit. It was very accurate in my old rifle and this new one was no exception. I loaded the Remington cases with 3.5gn Red Dot and primed them with Remington # 1 1/2 small pistol primers. It was an absolute pleasure to shoot the very low noise and seemingly recoilless loads in this little rifle.
Now not wanting to end my gloating with that special little joy I have to include another good fortune.
While I was at the Trading Post to pick up the Marlin Jr. sent I happened to glance at the used gun rack and there to my surprise and pleasure was a very well preserved Remington model 30 express complete with a period Lyman target receiver sight. After a short conference with my minister of finance the Rem mod 30 express was put on layaway. That old model 30 was just begging to be paired up with an old Ideal armory mold I had acquired over the winter last. This really big mold drops 8 at a time of a 200gn round nose plain base boolit. Soon they shall be inseparable partners. Now all I need to do is sell enough boolits in the next 90 days to pay for the model 30. The asking price at $410.00 seemed fair for a very good original condition mod 30 express especially with the Lyman sight and the $50.00 deposit made it doable.
So there is my gloat and sorry if it just bugs anyone but if I didn't let it out I may have just exploded.

MtGun44
08-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a very good day! Jr. did a good thing for "the old man". Squared away young
man, it would seem from all I have seen.

Bill

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 09:58 PM
is that the model 30 in 30-06 built on the 1917 action?

I re-built one of those from a box of parts I picked up at a shop a long time back and gave it to a kid I was mentoring some time ago.
I made the mistake of test firing it before giving it to him and almost couldn't part with it.
after seeing him lug that thing around every where he went [working on a ranch like he did] and practically sleeping with it for 6 months I felt a lot better about it..... barely.

Nueces
08-21-2014, 09:59 PM
I enjoyed the story and made note of your 25-20 load for use in my own 1894CL. It's fun to see other folks shoot well, as it is fun to hear of their heroic gunshop raids. Rock on!

Bullshop
08-21-2014, 10:40 PM
is that the model 30 in 30-06 built on the 1917 action?

I re-built one of those from a box of parts I picked up at a shop a long time back and gave it to a kid I was mentoring some time ago.
I made the mistake of test firing it before giving it to him and almost couldn't part with it.
after seeing him lug that thing around every where he went [working on a ranch like he did] and practically sleeping with it for 6 months I felt a lot better about it..... barely.
Yes that is the one. To my knowledge it is the only sporter ever originally on that action. Darn nice guns they were too. Why they were marked with the word "EXPRESS" along with the model 30 designation I don't know.

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 11:31 PM
look under that trigger guard's horrible black paint.
I thankfully found a brass trigger guard meant for the model 30 in a little shop in south pass wyoming while doing this project.
I cleaned it all off then flat filed out the casting lines and put a satin polish on it, I also cut a piece of brass 1/16th" flat stock to add a spacer line to the recoil pad.
it looked pretty nice against the walnut stock and added a little something extra.

rhead
08-22-2014, 09:31 AM
It is not gloating it is just sharing the good news.

It is only gloating when someone else does it.

Congratulations on the new rifle.

DeanWinchester
08-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Don't point it at your foot. Some things don't make good family traditions.

...and what the heck is the interwebz for if not show and tell a little bit.

marvelshooter
08-22-2014, 09:36 AM
What is it I keep reading on this forum? Oh yeah. Pics or it didn't happen.:kidding:

osteodoc08
08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
BSJ is a fine young man by all accounts here. Enjoy your Marlin. Need some pictures.

smokeywolf
08-22-2014, 10:22 AM
That's a swell find sir. I'm appropriately green with envy. The Remington 30 Express is one splendid looking rifle. At that price, I don't think I could walk away from that either. Would love to see pics of both

smokeywolf

Bullshop
08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Don't point it at your foot. Some things don't make good family traditions.

...and what the heck is the interwebz for if not show and tell a little bit.
Thanks for the good advice Dean! I do plan on a rabbit expedition in the very near future. Last time out I got two jacks and seven cottontails. This little 25/20 with receiver sight should be fast handling walking the tall sage where the rabbits hang out. Most of the jacks are running shots from 25 to about 75 yards which makes for some fun and challenging shooting. Like I said I got two jacks last time but didn't mention how many I missed.

runfiverun
08-22-2014, 09:08 PM
just leavin more for next time...:lol:
that 25-20 will thin them down quick enough, it'll leave some eatin meat on the cotton tails too.

Bullshop Junior
08-23-2014, 09:51 PM
I would have rather shot myself with the 25/20.....

MtGun44
08-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Yep, a LOT smaller hole! Still cause quite a leak, seems like.

Bill

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 12:25 AM
I would rather you didn't shoot yourself at all.

44man
08-24-2014, 10:57 AM
How about a plain old hug my friend. Good for you.

Pilgrim
08-24-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm simply jealous. Way beyond envy!! Congratulations.

Unfortunately I have a problem with accuracy. I've sold several (each) of the .32 H&R revolvers and .25-20 rifles because of accuracy issues. Some of those issues may have been me, but there you have it. I still want a .327 Federal revolver since it will also handle the H&R round, preferably S&W, but Ruger will do in a pinch so I'll keep looking. Same with a .25-20. Don't have a practical need for either of them, but since when was that a factor in our "wanna haves"? Pilgrim

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Lord willing I am going to dig out an old favorite picture of Jr. for you folks to enjoy. It is a pic I dearly love. It is of Jr. holding up a snowshoe rabbit in one hand and he is not too much bigger than the rabbit. In the other hand he is holding an original Marlin 94 with long octagon barrel in 25/20.
I will ask BS Mom for some help, stay tuned.
ATTACH=CONFIG]114402[/ATTACH]

Bullshop
08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I found it and BS Mom put it up for all to enjoy. Hard to believe he is about 6' 9" now.

W.R.Buchanan
08-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Not gloating after you get something cool is very overrated. It is akin to Hoarding.

I personally am very big on Gloating.

In my context I hope that it makes others so jealous that they try to top me.

And I hope they do, and if they do, they should gloat also.

Gloating is all about sharing some kind of success.

Success is a good thing. Sharing is a good thing.

Whatever happens it is good for the sport.

Randy

Mike67
08-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Nice to here a story that makes mention of the Remington Model 30. I got mine several years ago from the owner of the local gunshop I've done business with for over 20 years. He bought it for his personal collection and showed it to me 15 years ago. At the time I told him if he ever wanted to sell it I would buy it. Any way it's a cool rifle with a trigger you will not find in any modern rifle so enjoy it.

GoodOlBoy
08-26-2014, 02:22 AM
Hey Bullshop, congrats on both finds. No reason not to gloat buddy. One that's a good kid, and two that's a FINE old rifle. In a caliber a feller SHOULD enjoy shooting!

GoodOlBoy

Bad Water Bill
08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Hey One that's a good kid, GoodOlBoy

At 6' 9" Jr is hardly a KID any more.

Jr I DO know how it feels.

At 75+ some relatives still call me "little -----.

Being a "JR" does have some disadvantages.

starmac
08-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Wow, Jr called me when he traded for 25/20, he knew one is one my wish list, so he had to gloat a little himself. lol Glad to hear he give to the old man.

bbqncigars
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
If your 25-20 shoots as good as mine (Marlin 94CB), then you'll be hard pressed to keep it fed. A wonderful cartridge that is often overlooked these days.

Bullshop
08-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Now that I have a little experience with this one I see it seems to have a strong preference for the standard velocity load.
I luckily hit it right off the bat shooting boolits from an old Winchester mold dropping an 85gn plain base boolit. The loaded I started with and the best so far was with this boolit and 3.5gn Red Dot. Velocity should be in that magical 1300 fps range.
Not so much success with the high velocity loads using the 70gn Lyman fngc or and of the couple 85gn fngc molds I have.
My first 25/20 was the opposite and it shot the 70gn fngc at 2000+fps the best. I have no inclination to give up the search though for a good shooting HV load. For now with the 85gn Winchester design I have a darn good small game load but still would like that HV load to make this little rifle double as a call gun for early season coyotes.
This rifle is a little different than the other one I had in that this one is a rifle not a carbine and has a full length mag tube where the other was half. I like the rifle length better because it gets the sights farther apart and I can see them better that way.
I tried a couple powders that are on the slow side for the cartridge Win 680 and H-4227 but they didn't do it with this gun. Going to my very old Lyman book tells me 5.5gn 4756 will give me 1700 fps which puts it very close to the HV loads. That will be next up to try since I have a decent supply of that powder. My cup runneth over with fun!

Bullshop Junior
08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
And while you are having fun with that, I finally got my single six 32 mag shooting good with 125gn boolits.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/7884274015b389db6416ec6e40a4d779.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/caeb1beaead0ac7e25a9a0dc8745edb7.jpg

Bullshop
08-31-2014, 11:18 PM
Very nice!!! Where do you buy your targets? I have seen those before.:mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
08-31-2014, 11:19 PM
I think that one came from little caesars.

Bullshop Junior
08-31-2014, 11:20 PM
By the way. That was shot at 25 yards resting off the truck. I'm not such a good shot so I blame me for the fliers.

Bad Water Bill
08-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Now fess up Jr.

Most of us know Amanda shot that target.:kidding:

Bullshop Junior
08-31-2014, 11:35 PM
She has not actually fired a handgun. I'm working up to that one with her.

starmac
09-01-2014, 12:59 AM
I love them targets, you can draw the circle after you shoot it. So in that light, it looks like you shoot better than you draw. lol