PDA

View Full Version : PC powder as flux

tazman
08-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Today I happened across a situation that may be something new, or not. I had fifty boolits I had powder coated which had failed miserably so I decided to melt them down and recast them.
I threw them on top of my Lee pot while it was warming up to temp. I always turn the temp up high at the beginning then turn it down when I start casting.
When the lead got hot enough, the powder coat from the boolits began smoking. To make sure I was getting it all, I stirred the pot for a bit then skimmed it off.
Lo and behold the lead was cleaner than any pot I had fluxed before. Very pretty.
And it stayed that way through the entire session(1 hour) while I cast up 10 lbs of boolits with a 2 hole mold without adding anything to it or covering it.
The powder quit smoking as soon as it was off the heat and had no other material in it that I could tell.
Usually I have some dross that needs to be removed, but not this time.
I will test this again later. Perhaps there is a new use for that matte black pc powder that won't work right.
Has anyone else had this happen for them?

bangerjim
08-21-2014, 09:59 PM
I have remelted MANY PC's boolits that were messed up and never noticed what you saw.

I will have to dump some in next time and actually watch what happens.

It is a polyester resin or epoxy depending on the brand.

Matte black DOES work right.........VERY WELL.........if you use it in the ESPC gun!

Interesting!

banger

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
you created an oxygen free barrier and returned the oxides back to the pot. [shrug]