PDA

View Full Version : Do only inbred yokels make outdoor channel hunting shows?

ohland
08-21-2014, 09:09 PM
It seems depressingly apparent that people with bad whispering skills and over-reaction to something going reasonably well are the ones making hunting shows. That and fishing shows. It must be that their eyes are too close together.... The town they came from had one last name on everyone's mailbox.

Just me, I suppose.

:2 drunk buddies:

jcwit
08-21-2014, 09:14 PM
It's made for little else than ratings.

Some enjoy it, I don't.

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 09:50 PM
back when they actually taught you a little something about the animal I used to like watching them.
i'll never shoot a white tail or catch a large mouth Bass [heck I never even seen one in the wild] but it didn't stop me from learning about their habits and signs.
now days it's just we been watchin this 10 pointer for a year or so now and he should be here about 9.00 am on Wednesday.
I hope I get a shot at him from this tower while he is at the feeder like he has been every day for the past 6 months.
WOOO HOOO nice shot,,,,
we'll let him lay until morning.
then bring in the tracking team and you can show off the antlers you just paid $5,000.00 for..

bart55
08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Yea it sure does seem pretty lame to me ,I loved the old American sportsman show with Curt Gowdy ,Bing Crosby Phil Harris and a host of others that really was enjoyable .Cant say much for the stuff on there now

DLCTEX
08-21-2014, 10:07 PM
The whispering thing drives me nuts in a hurry. Why can't they tape in a commentary in a normal voice. I'm so tired of seeing deer shot I may not hunt this fall.

MT Gianni
08-21-2014, 10:22 PM
I think that is there target audience.

smoked turkey
08-22-2014, 01:07 AM
I stopped my subscription to Dish, because I just couldn't take the hunting shows any more. Seems that monster bucks are what Everyone wants. Well not everyone. I would like to shoot a ten point whitetail if one comes my way. But if a nice doe comes my way I won't let her walk. I am basically a meat hunter. Besides the doe is better eating anyway.

captaint
08-22-2014, 06:08 AM
I just can't watch the hunting shows any more. Seen it all too many times now. And it's just like r5r said. They've made it boring. The only thing Ican watch guys hunt is coytes. I do enjoy watching that. Love to do it myself.. Mike

Handloader109
08-22-2014, 06:52 AM
How 'bought that thare show what them guys shoot'n outada helimacopter? Them fellas hunt'n wild hogs! Saw a couple of minutes and changed the channel.....I wouldn't go ANYWHERE with those guys with guns involved.

I can't watch any of the 'reality' shows for any length of time. Found the tow truck guys- Lizard lick I think the other day. How may repossessions occur during the day? I've had two over the years happen out of my drive, One my FIL's truck and the other my BIL's car. Both occurred about 3am in the morning. Wish I had picture of both of their faces when they realized their vehicles were gone! Priceless:twisted: Sorry for the minor hijack.

dagger dog
08-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Fist pumping, and un-respectful language celebrating the killing of animals that are lured into range by baiting then slaughtered, most behind high fences, is not my idea of hunting.

Some fishing programs seem to be on the up and up , but I refuse to consider tournaments as fishing.

GhostHawk
08-22-2014, 07:49 AM
I agree that 98% of the hunting shows are 20 minutes of boring talk, 30 seconds of line up the shot, and 9 and 1/2 minutes of fist pumping high fiving "Look what I did"

Most seem to be totally disrespectful of the game they are pursuing.

Jim Shockey is a bit better, but not a whole lot.

Gotten to the point where I'm watching the outdoor channel only for American Rifleman, Shooting Gallery, and my favorite of them all, Gun Storys.

pmer
08-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I think it proves you don't need a large audience to make few bucks putting a show on cable. The goofy characters might help bring some viewers back. They all seem to have a reasonably sane guy, a crazy guy among the characters and some controversy to keep things going.

bob208
08-22-2014, 08:05 AM
no they are only paid actors. the inbred are the ones writing and putting it t.v.

nekshot
08-22-2014, 08:05 AM
if they all originated from missouri I'd believe it. Now don't take that wrong , most of the missouri folk here are great but it seems there is a few clans that got the gene pool alittle narrow and regretfully that is what gets peoples attention.

white eagle
08-22-2014, 08:07 AM
back when they actually taught you a little something about the animal I used to like watching them.
i'll never shoot a white tail or catch a large mouth Bass [heck I never even seen one in the wild] but it didn't stop me from learning about their habits and signs.
now days it's just we been watchin this 10 pointer for a year or so now and he should be here about 9.00 am on Wednesday.
I hope I get a shot at him from this tower while he is at the feeder like he has been every day for the past 6 months.
WOOO HOOO nice shot,,,,
we'll let him lay until morning.
then bring in the tracking team and you can show off the antlers you just paid $5,000.00 for..

don't forget you aint hunting till you have the latest bow,gun on the market and oh don't forget your scent free cloths and spray...now which way to my 4500 acre hunting lease

1Shirt
08-22-2014, 08:10 AM
I probably watch one a year or so, just to remind myself of how poor they are!
1Shirt!

dakotashooter2
08-22-2014, 09:15 AM
It seems that many of the deer must be inbred too. Where can I find some of these dumb deer that stop and stare at you when you whistle or grunt and watch, unmoving, as an arrow flies toward them. Or that can't see 3 or 4 guys sneaking to within 50 yards of them across the open terrain.

Is a buck that has grown up eating steroids out of a trough really a trophy? Is using a bow that is capable of taking deer out to 80-100 yards really a challenge?

And don't be fooled........using a crossbow does not make you an archer.................

Thumbcocker
08-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Have the machine set to record Meat Eater the rest are garbage.

jakec
08-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Seems that monster bucks are what Everyone wants. Well not everyone. I would like to shoot a ten point whitetail if one comes my way. But if a nice doe comes my way I won't let her walk. I am basically a meat hunter. Besides the doe is better eating anyway.
me too! my buddies make fun of me cause ill shoot a doe over a 4 point. them 4 pts dont mean nothing to me. that doe made out of 70 pounds of tender delicious meat does though.

dilly
08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think the target audience is the actual hillbillies. The target audience is people who have some minor interest in hunting and want to be able to watch clowns do it and feel like they are smarter than them. Same with Duck Dynasty, Swamp People, etc.

Mainstream media wouldn't know what to do with a level headed, well educated, even tempered conservative man (or woman) who likes to hunt and prefers to live in a rural area. They'd rather find some irresponsible man-children and perpetuate the "gun totin' redneck idiot" stereotype. Sometimes it makes you think they are celebrating a part of America that is underrepresented by the media, but it's often just a more subtle way to make fun of people who don't live like they do in L.A.

fastfire
08-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Remember Kirk Goudy?

wallenba
08-22-2014, 11:39 AM
I find them all pretty commercialized now, don't watch. I grew up watching Mort Neff and Howard Shelley on Michigan outdoors. That was a quality show! Most of you Michiganders would agree I'm sure.

Heavy
08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Meat eater and Krappie King - period

43PU
08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
The TurtleMan only lives about 30 min from me......:groner:
Oh Bother
43PU

mj2evans
08-22-2014, 12:19 PM
The ones that get me are the very wealthy outdoor writer/"hunters" that go hunt on a huge private lease or get a free $10k African safari. That is NOT hunting and I won't watch it. Its simply not what hunting is about. If you only focus on the kill you are missing the point.

Smoke4320
08-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Have not watched an advertising ...I mean hunting show in years .. every year or so I get the itch to see if anything has changed (format and coverage wise) only to be disappointed again..

Beerd
08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Remember Kirk Goudy?

who could forget Captain Kirk, "Beam me up Scotty" :kidding:

crowbuster
08-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Same here captaint, even some of the coyote shows are off my list, to much malarkey

Char-Gar
08-22-2014, 01:25 PM
It would seem that most hunting, fishing and reality shows that feature southern types, like to home in on the "redneck" image. In my day a "red neck" was an ignorant, uneducated, uncouth lout. It was synonymous with "white trash". It now seems that that is the standard portrayal of folks from the south that hunt or fish.

I am a 6th generation Texan from ranching families. We cleaned up, shaved, took off our hats at the dinner table and stood up when a woman entered the room. It is no wonder that folks up north think southern men are all like the Duck Dynasty idiots.

dtknowles
08-22-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't think the target audience is the actual hillbillies. The target audience is people who have some minor interest in hunting and want to be able to watch clowns do it and feel like they are smarter than them. Same with Duck Dynasty, Swamp People, etc.

Mainstream media wouldn't know what to do with a level headed, well educated, even tempered conservative man (or woman) who likes to hunt and prefers to live in a rural area. They'd rather find some irresponsible man-children and perpetuate the "gun totin' redneck idiot" stereotype. Sometimes it makes you think they are celebrating a part of America that is underrepresented by the media, but it's often just a more subtle way to make fun of people who don't live like they do in L.A.

I don't see anything subtle about it. It is demeaning and derogatory. It is sometimes true enough to have credibility with people who would oppose hunting of any kind. Once more we are building our own coffin.

Tim

montana_charlie
08-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Remember Kirk Goudy?
who could forget Captain Kirk, "Beam me up Scotty" :kidding:
I do.
But he wasn't a captain, and was never beamed up by anybody named Scotty.
He was a long-time well-known baseball sportscaster who (among many other assignments) also hosted The American Sportsman TV series.
His name was actually Curt Gowdy.

CM

Gator 45/70
08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
You do realize that these Duck Dynasty idiots are worth over 50 million, For 50 million I could be an idiot for the public T.V. audience. Heck It sells'

It would seem that most hunting, fishing and reality shows that feature southern types, like to home in on the "redneck" image. In my day a "red neck" was an ignorant, uneducated, uncouth lout. It was synonymous with "white trash". It now seems that that is the standard portrayal of folks from the south that hunt or fish.

I am a 6th generation Texan from ranching families. We cleaned up, shaved, took off our hats at the dinner table and stood up when a woman entered the room. It is no wonder that folks up north think southern men are all like the Duck Dynasty idiots.

IDSS
08-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Same here captaint, even some of the coyote shows are off my list, to much malarkey

I don't watch many of the coyote shows anymore, but the one that really turned me off featured the duck hunting guys trying to cross over. Their hand calling sounds like a kid blowing a kazoo and the shooting hasn't improved much over the episodes. Although, they do seem to kill few enough coyotes that their fist pumps and dancing around do seem warranted.

bassnbuck
08-22-2014, 05:42 PM
But, if you dont watch the shows how are you gonna know you cant hunt without a matthews bow and an encore rifle?

dagger dog
08-22-2014, 07:10 PM
On the other hand you have the PBS stations that air a lot of quality local state DNR hunting and fishing programs, those are the ones that help the hunters and they should be promoted by all hunters, fishermen and general outdoor types.

I'm not talking about the Sierra Club BS, but the true DNR sponsored hunting fishing shows, the one that comes to mind is the Kentucky Afield show that's been running in my local area for over 40 years. RFD channel airs some from other states Michigan and Tennessee comes to mind.

Support them all you can, it's our future at stake !

Gibbs44
08-22-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm kind of partial to Meateater with Rinella and anything with Jim Shockey. They both seem to hunt hard and appreciate the hunt as much as anything. They all beat Sponge Bob

JSnover
08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
The only time I ever hunted with someone close enough to whisper was with my dad, until he decided I was responsible enough to hunt alone. The solitude is important to me. Having someone behind me with a boom mic, a camera and a stream of mindless blather would ruin the hunt.
Do any of them ever hunt alone, with just a hat cam and an occasional comment?

leeggen
08-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Few years ago I was watching one of the hunting shows and the hunter was in a stand all of a sudden these deer come up along a fence thru the gate trot out infront of the stand and BANG he shoots the buck in the middle of the group. They showed another shot and you could see the fenced in run way and a fence blocking the group at the gate with a feeder just in the edge of the pic, right where the deer was shot. As they talked about this hunting farm they were on it all made sense and I haven't watched another hunting show again. They had herded the deer down the runway and into the field to the feeder. Not my game for hunting.
CD

TXGunNut
08-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Told Direct TV to pound sand over a year ago. I spend an hour or so most nights in the loading room; this week I'm making a knife and just finished GC'ing and TL'ing 400 boolits. TV is a terrible waste of time and money.

Mk42gunner
08-24-2014, 04:54 AM
It has been a long time since I watched any hunting or fishing show. My antenna fell over a few years ago and I never got around to putting it back up, don't really miss TV anyway.

I think Bill Dance was one of the best TV fishing show guys. He at least used an aluminum jon boat sometimes instead of always having the latest fiberglass bass boat that looked like it would go about 90 mph.

I do watch the news when I am in town at Mom's for supper, and usually watch the Royals games with her.

Robert

xs hedspace
08-24-2014, 03:19 PM
One of the worst show is Mountain Men. I watched one episode last year that had some old guy "chasing mountain lions away from the beef herd" with some dogs, and he was whining about his dogs being lost, except that in the closeups, you can see the gps collars on the dogs. Another one had some trapper building a windbreak in a snowstorm, except that if you looked past the snow blowing in his face, the tree branches in the background were not moving. Must have used a leafblower to do the shot. So many shows just focus on BS arguments among the stars, you can't learn anything from watching hot rod builds, or renovation shows. Just ****!

waksupi
08-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I can not remember her name, but there was a lovely buxom southern belle, who used to float around in a boat with an old guy fishing. Tina, I think her name is. I liked watching that gal fish. Yes sir, I surely did.

Ha. Found her, Tina Booker.

doc1876
08-24-2014, 10:01 PM
inbred? have you watched this Party Down South ****? I f my kids behaved like this, I would put a boot in their..well you know!!