PDA

View Full Version : Lyman .501 H&I die and Redding Neck bushings for Nose Sizing

ohland
08-21-2014, 02:34 PM
My Lyman H&I Sizing Die, .501 diameter, p/n 2766525 arrived today. Shortly afterwards, it was mated with the Redding 73270 neck bushing.

Yes, Virginia, it fits just so. There was a little roughness left over (between the die body and the plunger) that the first few insertion / removals smoothed out. Works pretty smoothly now.

Had to figure out a simple way to show the depth of the bushing in relation to the Lub ports in the H&I die. This picture shows the neck bushing sitting above the lub ports. Can anyone say "solid pin"? With a solid pin below, and a washer above, the bushing probably will not push down or pull out during nose sizing. It appears to use a tight .125 point NOTHING lub port (mics .123 with calipers) and after I get some suitable pins, I'll might look at the Machinery Handbook to figure out the shear strength of 1018 steel (that is, if this lash up blows chunks, THEN I'll look it up). BUT... thanks to the almost parallel forces operating acing on the bushing, plus the four precisely spaced holes for supporting pins, things should be do-able.

First, thank you, Redding, for holding tight tolerances. Second, thank you Lyman for holding (?) your tolerances....

:coffeecom

ohland
08-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Bought some 1/8 x 3/8 (actually .350) pins and I finally set up to trim to length.

Whipped out my Kalamazoo A1 universal indexer with a 5c to ER40 adapter. Set the pin in and czeched my setup as I always do.

One thing about finishing up a job, at least make it so it isn't dangerous for the next user. I never power up without setting the fixtures up so they are well fastened down, and I verify the cutter clearance before powering on. But this crescent wrench could have surprised me if I had been in a real hurry...

Darned dowel is harder than woodpecker lips, the HSS end mill left a small bright spot, but did not dig in. Nor did I try to torque it to make it cut....

Indicates the need for a carbide end mill, or untempered stock. As always, the answer is MORE TOOLS! Did you even have to ask?

Found some 1/8 dia x 3/16 long dowel pins on fleabay. Cheaper than buying carbide.

:kidding: