PDA

View Full Version : anyone near st louis mo,want to learn how to cast

DME72
08-19-2014, 11:13 PM
I have lurked around and read a lot about casting lead bullets. however I have never cast any.i like to shoot when I have the time.i have not bought any equipment except my reloading dies,press and such I have had for a while.i have about a 5 gallon bucket of WW that somebody gave me,more where that came from.before I buy all the molds and pots sizing dies etc I would like to find a person who would let me try and smelt and cast some lead.i am not sure I am going to like casting so I would like to try it out some evening or afternoon.i like to reload when I have the time,lately which is never.would like to sort and smelt some WW which I have.then maybe cast some 45acp.if anyone on here would be kind enough to help out a noob/lurker it would be great.one other reason I want to learn is the high cost factory ammo and uncertain availability.
thanks
DME72
doug

sigep1764
08-20-2014, 01:04 AM
I am in The Hill area of St Louis. Pm me. I'd be willing to help you with a few things, but I only cast for 9mm.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-20-2014, 01:33 AM
If you are up there, make him take you to Regazzi's after the first lesson...

Hamish
08-20-2014, 02:02 AM
If you are up there, make him take you to Regazzi's after the first lesson...

A BIG +1 on that!

Green Frog
08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
I've "only" been casting since the '70s, but every time I make a trip to the Northwest Territories (that's Ohio, for you non-Historians) to visit Dale53, the subject turns to casting and we usually end up doing some... trying out the newest mould acquisition, making some new lube variant, etc, etc. Working together is not just for beginners, and one or both of us usually picks up some new twist on our hobby. Recently I've started to take along a little batch (say 10 pounds or so) of some useful alloy component such as tin or monotype to make it fair to him, since he doesn't ever have time to do any casting when he "flies" through here going to his grand kids. Some of our best times together have come from around the casting pot, and not only do I get a few new tricks of the trade each time, but I usually bring home a nice supply of one or more bullet types that I needed anyway. BTW, when mixing lube, or making a batch of an experimental alloy, "two heads are better than one" and it's fun to share the bounty when you are done. Ours doesn't have to be a solo sport.

Regards,
Froggie

wbrco
08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Grafs in St. Charles also holds classes on reloading and casting.