PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting happier

xr650
01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
I am casting Lee TL452-230-SWC for .45 ACP.
They are coming out pretty good and shoot great.
These are WW.

http://www.fototime.com/1D84A6F4E60B339/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9BD90C92383F86F/standard.jpg

I was getting feather edges under the sprue plate. I started using a damp rag to cool my sprue plate. This solved most of the feather.
I still get a little feather.
Is my mold too hot at this point?
Do you leave the sprue plate on the damp rag until it quits hissin?

DLCTEX
01-28-2008, 01:25 AM
I only get fins when I pressure feed the mold by holding the mold against the spout of my bottom pour pot. Holding the mold slightly away from the spout cures the problem. I don't think a cool sprue plate would be detrimental. Dale

EMC45
01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Nice pics!

dubber123
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Good looking boolits. The little fin is likely either too much pressure when pouring, or a sprue plate that doesn't sit flat. Hold the mould up to the light with the sprue closed, snd see if you can see any daylight under it. I have fixed several Lees that had just this problem. Good luck.

357maximum
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
A pane of glass with some 400 grit wet/dry taped to it is all you need to fix the sprue/mold surfaces...it is a rare lee 6 banger that does not need this treatment in my experience.

I shoot the same boolit over a middle of the road charge of IMR PB and am tickled with it out of both my astra 100 and my remington/interarms franken1911....BTW..If you take a coyote staight up the rear with this boolit at 30 yards while he is beat footing away from you....... it will exit his chest :mrgreen:

I use the 45X230 with all my ?UNK? special find alloys as it seems to not care what it is made from...easy and flexible what more could a guy want eh?

xr650
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I appreciate the thoughts and comments.
This is a 2 holer. I'm dipping. I hold the ladle above the sprue plate. I can't get the hang of putting the ladle on the sprue plate.
This mould has worked real well. I figured I was going to get away with out any mods.
I will lap the sprue plate and see what happens. Just as well leement it while I'm at it.

Now I know why they use bullseyes on targets. :mrgreen: