PDA

View Full Version : Ford truck experts

garbear
08-19-2014, 06:16 PM
I have a F250 with a 351 Windsor and a manual transmission. Okay this is were I'll probably get yelled at but I am just bouncing ideas.
I want to put in a diesel engine in the truck. I have duel tanks. I would like a Cummings but a power stroke might be more in line.
What are the pit falls if I decide to do this. bigger fuel lines, different radiator two batteries what else.

Like I said this just thinking about if it is even possible and nothing that I am going to do unless it is an easy conversion.
Garbear

Plate plinker
08-19-2014, 06:28 PM
unless you can't comprehend the idea of parting with your truck its a lot of work. you are better off trading up for a diesel truck that is ready to go. I no a guy who did a suburban to a 4bt it was not exactly easy especially if your not mechanically up to the task

seagiant
08-19-2014, 06:37 PM
unless you can't comprehend the idea of parting with your truck its a lot of work. you are better off trading up for a diesel truck that is ready to go. I no a guy who did a suburban to a 4bt it was not exactly easy especially if your not mechanically up to the task

Hi,
Yes! Reinventing the wheel! I would rather find a used truck like you want, bought at the best price,then put your energy into getting it like you want it! Just sayin!

Handloader109
08-19-2014, 06:40 PM
owned a '97 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 liter. I had very little problem with it. Sold when wife was sideswiped last year. But if I were you, I'd sell this truck, take what you get and buy a diesel if that is what you want. Conversion would be very difficult and most probably cost more that just doing the sale/buy. Unless you can find motor/tranny and really a totalled diesel as donor, it is probably more than you want to try. And I have no idea the complexity of the later 5.6? liters.

chill45100
08-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Compare the weight of the diesel you are considering vs the 351 you have now. Then prepare for suspension upgrades including steering. Will your current transmission take the extra torque? How about the clutch assembly? Now to the driveshaft, u-joints and differential. You get the idea by now that it is an entire planned assembly. Yes it can be done with careful planning and a deep wallet. Just my thoughts, others may have different input.
chill45100

starmac
08-19-2014, 07:01 PM
There are complete bolt on kits do do the cummins swap, and you can't trade and buy what was never built. I know several people that have done this swap that are satisfied with the outcome of it. Actually planning one myself. If you decide to go powerstroke, (which I wouldn't) you will need to have a donor vehicle, as I don't think there are adapters available to use your trann, plus you will need to change the core support too.

s mac
08-19-2014, 07:05 PM
I work in a Ford dealership, have done so for 22 years, love the Powerstroke. That said, the electronics you would have to switch over would be a daunting task, plus as has been stated the weight factor, driveline wouldn't be up the job. Buy another truck.

autofix4u
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
If the truck is not 4x4 the front axle is NOT up to the task. Even the 4x4 is marginal.
I have 2 F250 s with the diesel a 1985 with the 6.9l idi and Banks turbo. 890k miles and still love it. Also have a 1995 with 7.3l PS 320k ,and if one had to go it would. Both are 4x4 and used hard bur not abused.
My recommendation would be find a truck with a diesel in it from the factory.

osteodoc08
08-19-2014, 09:34 PM
If you're stuck on Ford, get the older 7.3 turbo.

Otherwise I'd recommend an older Dodge with a Cummins.

If you're wanting newer, consider GM's Durmax.

Avoid the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 unless you want to do all the deletes, but these can be made reliable with good power. Just need to know the pitfalls of those motors.

stephenj
08-20-2014, 07:36 AM
I stuck a 453t detroit in a 79 ford 1 ton about 10 years ago for less then $1500 including buying the engine and trans and having the drive shaft shortened and front yoke changed .

Had plenty of power for normal loads and got decent fuel milage

gkainz
08-20-2014, 01:19 PM
There's an outfit out there that does just that and more ... http://www.destroked.com

Plate plinker
08-20-2014, 04:28 PM
All this is very sound advice well stated gentlemen.

TXGunNut
08-20-2014, 09:40 PM
It's not an engine swap, it's a driveline swap with very significant changes to the electrical, cooling, exhaust and suspension systems. All it takes is time, money and mechanical aptitude.....lots and lots of all three.

Lloyd Smale
08-21-2014, 07:48 AM
I think its one of those deals that if you have to ask you probably shouldnt. Ive done engine swaps before and even that will about allways bring problems to overcome. This would be about as involved of a swap as i could amagine and I sure wouldnt tackle it. Sell your truck and buy a diesel.

garym1a2
08-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Owning a 2001 Dodge 35000 I would not buy a Diesel unless hauling heavy. If you do buy a Diesel research the good ones. I would pick the older ones like the Cumming with a P pump or a 7.3. Mechani al Fuel inject trucks will be easier.

.45Cole
08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
You asked for advice. By the time you pony up the money for a 7.3, tranny, and probably heavier front and rear ends, you will be out the better part of a 92-97 250 truck. The diesels are wired different. You have the std package as far as driveline goes.

How about this, buy a Chilton for a 92-97 F series and you can see all the stuff you will have to convert.

6bg6ga
08-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I think its one of those deals that if you have to ask you probably shouldnt. Ive done engine swaps before and even that will about allways bring problems to overcome. This would be about as involved of a swap as i could amagine and I sure wouldnt tackle it. Sell your truck and buy a diesel.

I could not have said it any better

jumbeaux
08-21-2014, 08:40 PM
There is a site with forums for the Cummins 4BT & 4BTA...may be www.4BTAforum.com (http://www.4BTAforum.com) you probably need to Google it. The 4 BTA was very popular in delivery trucks/vans (bread trucks, chip trucks etc...)

rick

MT Gianni
08-21-2014, 10:25 PM
In 72 I was in Diesel School with someone that put a 3-53 Detroit in a 1 ton pickup. He went through three clutches before we graduated. I would stay away from a swap. That old 53 may have a lot of torque but it doesn't compare to today's diesels.

6bg6ga
08-22-2014, 06:23 AM
In terms of what would need changing in order to obtain a like performance, ride and durability not to mention your time you would be money ahead to sell your truck and purchase your diesel dream.

MT Gianni
08-22-2014, 11:21 PM
In terms of what would need changing in order to obtain a like performance, ride and durability not to mention your time you would be money ahead to GIVE YOUR truck away and purchase your diesel dream.
Fixed it for ya.

6bg6ga
08-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Dude, I really don't need you to change my post.

Finster101
08-23-2014, 09:25 AM
You never mentioned why you want a diesel. If you NEED a diesel that is one thing having one just to drive around is another. Most people never figure in the extra cost of maintenance. Oil changes, fuel filters all way more expensive than gas. I definitely would not do a swap. Trade trucks if it is really what you want or need. You will come out way ahead in the long run. I have been turning wrenches for 30 years and I wouldn't do this job.

badbob454
08-23-2014, 09:54 AM
this is a task i would approach only if i had a beat up old truck with clean running gear that was at my disposal , that had a diesel i wanted of the same size and year of my current truck , as a mechanic of @35 years with ford i would go as said above , the older 7.3 with turbo , but save a few months work , and sell/ then buy what you want ..as
as said newer trucks are an electrical nightmare , dont go down that road , esp with nominal experience, not to mention ....( smog and emisions issues )

starmac
08-23-2014, 12:21 PM
It depends on what a guy wants. I put 400,000 miles on a 76 highboy after I put a diesel motor in it. I actually still have it, but haven't really driven it in years. It was the cheapest pickup to own I have ever owned.

I have two different cousins that still drive fords they have installed cummins in, not a huge job at all if one is handy with tools. If you want the later model computerized diesel, the wiring and fuel pumps can be tricky, but the mechanical engines are a pretty easy swap.