PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled by a progressive press.

Billairgun
08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
I just spent it seemed like all afternoon loading 100 rounds of 7.62x25 on a single stage press. I think another conversion kit for the Dillon is in the near future. I may have to size before hand but it will still be faster.

seagiant
08-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi,
What single stage press are you using? I have owned more different types of progressives,more than most probably, but was never spoiled by them.Still love to reload with a loading block and my single stage press!

Billairgun
08-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I have a Redding Big Boss press that I use for all my rifle calibers. I only shoot a couple hundred rifle rounds a week so it's enjoyable. With pistol I'll go through at least a hundred each time I'm at the range.

runfiverun
08-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I have several dillons and several different 0-frame presses, I switch back and forth between them and use them in conjunction with each other.
I spent quite a while getting proficient with an 0-frame type press, 100 rounds would be well under an hour start to finish, unless tumbling or trimming time was involved.

Artful
08-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes it's a shame when your progressive is otherwise occupied - I kept my Lee Turret just because it's faster than my single stage presses - thou they get used as well.

27judge
08-20-2014, 12:11 AM
I used a Dillon 550 for many years ,just could never get used to it. I sold it last year and bought 2 redding t7 with 2 spare heads I like this setup much better then my 550. As the old saying goes to each his own tks KEN

crazy mark
08-20-2014, 12:39 AM
Never saw the need for a progressive. Reloading is a relaxing hobby for me. I have an older Lyman turret press and a RCBS Junior that I use.

jaysouth
08-20-2014, 01:05 AM
After reading an old post by Larry Gibson, I figured out how to use my Dillon 550 for reloading .308. I resize and prime cases before processing. In the #1 position I have a Lyman M die to bell and size the mouth. #2 is the powder die, #3 is the Dillon 308 seating die, and in #4 is a Lee FCD.

Using proven successful loading data and component combinations, I load one or two hundred cast loads at a batch. Works very well for me.

After looking at the setup, I realize that the only specific Dillon equipment needed is the die plate and positioning pins. Any brand dies can be used for seating and crimping.

captaint
08-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Always have just had a rock chucker. Love it. But I did get a manually operated turret from Harrells. I use it to expand, seat, and taper crimp - just the .45ACP and the 9mm. Makes it a little quicker and works real well.

HangFireW8
08-20-2014, 07:11 AM
I save my progressive for pistol.

For rifle I have two Classic Casts and a Rock Chucker in an assembly line, all mounted on a 2x8 c-clamped to my bench.

I check neck and seated boolit concentricity on every rifle load as I make them, which makes the progressive less practical. I do not load rifle for volume and speed, though I load and shoot rifle much, much more since I got into casting.

FISH4BUGS
08-20-2014, 08:30 AM
When I was young I Loaded on an RCBS Rockchucker and made really good gourmet reloads. I could get MAYBE 100 per hour. Worked fine for me then. Then I got the machine gun bug. Loading 100 per hour just didn't make it. I bought a Dillon 450, upgraded to a 500 then a 550b over the years. I never wanted anything else. I cannot imagine going back to a single stage press. Nothing wrong with them but they just don't have the productivity i need.
I load 223 and 308 for rifles and machine guns, and 380, 9mm and 45 ACP for the submachineguns (yes, using cast bullets except for subsonic ammo) and 38, 357 and 44 mag for pistol (with cast of course). Every round gets a Lee Factory Crimp Die in station 4. Every round is case gauged.
First step is of course to resize/deprime then trim the rifle cases, and clean the primer pockets. That can be done on a Dillon....just resize/deprime and remove, then do it again. Trim and clean the primer pockets in a separate step.
I can easily get 400 per hour loaded rounds taking my time. 500 per hour if I hustle a bit. I stay at about 400 per hour because I look in every case before seating the bullet to make sure there is a proper charge, and not a double charge. I have blown up two guns with double charges over my lifetime and don't EVER want that to happen again. Safety, safety and then safety again.
I cannot even imagine going back to a single stage press for anything.....but that's just me.
I seem to load in manic sessions.....set up the press and load thousands of rounds of one caliber over a few weeks. I completed about 3000 9mm's in my last session. Next up is 1000 44's, then 3-4000 38's. Then 357's. I will need to do some 5000 380's soon.
What ammo shortage?
Imagine that on a single stage press!

Garyshome
08-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Dillon, leaves more family/shooting time!

jaysouth
08-20-2014, 10:45 AM
If I were shooting F class, I would probably only load on my big green rockchucker. However, comparing a Dillon 550 to a Rock Chucker, it does not appear that the dillon gives up anything to the rockchucker in terms or sturdiness or camming power. If you put a Redding micrometer seating die on the Dillon, it could produce ammo as accurate as any single stage.

For any of those with a run out indicator, which seating die produces the most concentric round? My guess is Lee collet seater or Redding micrometer seating die. Any observations on this?

HangFireW8
08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
For any of those with a run out indicator, which seating die produces the most concentric round? My guess is Lee collet seater or Redding micrometer seating die. Any observations on this?

I have both of those seating dies, and others.

The answer is "depends". It depends on the seater stem to ogive match and the neck size to die internals match.

snuffy
08-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Yes it's a shame when your progressive is otherwise occupied - I kept my Lee Turret just because it's faster than my single stage presses - thou they get used as well.

Spoiled by a progressive press.
I just spent it seemed like all afternoon loading 100 rounds of 7.62x25 on a single stage press. I think another conversion kit for the Dillon is in the near future. I may have to size before hand but it will still be faster.

I did just the opposite, I bought a lee cast turret to load 7.62 X 25 for what it would have cost for the Dillon 650 caliber conversion for the tokorav CZ . I had previously had the older 4 hole lee turret, which I sold when I bought the Dillon. If I'm doing a load work-up for anything I also have a set-up for the Dillon, I always do it on the turret.

Precision reloading on a Dillon IS possible. Recently I wanted to do some .223 on the Dillon ,(600 pcs.). The cases were once-fired LC brass, so I needed to decap, remove primer crimp, size and trim. I decapped with a Lee universal decapper using a Lee hand-held press. (While watching TV). Then the Hornady crimp cutter in a RCBS case conditioner. Then they were lubed an sent through a lee sizer by itself in a Dillon tool head. Using the case feeder, it only took maybe 25 minutes to run almost 400 through it. Then the Lee trimmer/cutter to bring them to all the same length. Lube was removed while it spun in the Lee tool. Now they are ready to go through the 650 to complete the loading. I'm using a RCBS precision seater, as I don't crimp ANY .223. The bullet is the Nosler varmegedon.

gwpercle
08-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Some times I think I must be the only person in the world who is NOT in a hurry. I enjoy the time spent with my single stage press and loading block, away from the rush, rush, hurry , hurry must get it done right now routine. I sit out there in my little shed with no phone , TV or computer and relish the quite time and unhurried pace. Casting boolits or reloading ammo, I find it better to slow down and just enjoy the process.
Gary
I'm slow but I do a good job.

TXGunNut
08-20-2014, 10:02 PM
When I was a comp shooter my 550 was almost a necessity. Less time spent loading, more time for practice. Good quality ammo, too. These days I generally shoot 50 rounds each weekend, no big chore for a single stage. I enjoy loading and piddling around with my single stage so much that my 550 stayed "undercover" for about 10 years...until I got tired of buying practice ammo for my carry guns.

fatelk
08-21-2014, 09:34 PM
I've only had a Dillon 550 for the last several years, and am still getting used to it. Before that I've loaded thousands on my old Rock Chucker. The RC with a case kicker can do pretty well, and I have done a couple thousand rounds at a time on it in the distant past, but the Dillon is certainly better in that department of course.

I just wish I could figure out how to get this Dillon to crank out large volumes smoothly like many of you seem to. Seems like I'm always stopping to look at or tinker with something that's not working quite right.

I've actually toyed with the idea of selling it since I really don't shoot anywhere near the volume of ammo needed to justify owning one. I only have it because it came with an estate purchase and ended up almost free after it was all said and done.

fecmech
08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
I have never loaded on a single stage press and have no real desire to do so. I started back in 1970 with a Lyman Spar T turret (with auto primer feed) which I still have. In the past I have loaded sub moa .243 and .308 condom ammo on that press but only load 30-30 cast on it now. The bulk of my loading is pistol and pistol cartridge lever guns and that is done on two CH Auto Champ progressives. I just do too much shooting for a single stage. I shoot Sporting clays a couple times a week, silhouette once a week and just plain old fun shooting all week. I just couldn't keep up with a single stage!