PDA

View Full Version : Flowers without federal agency! What an asounding occurence!

ohland
08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
One of my Blackberry or Candy Lillies (planted them over 10 years ago!) finally was undisturbed enough and bloomed.
Bite me, EPA.

Artful
08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Nice - so never a bloom in 10 years?

ohland
08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
They have roots unlike an Iris, sorta like small daylilly roots. As the picture shows a little, the leaves are sheathed into each other. These little things make it harder for them to survive being run over by a dog... They have bloomed off and on over the years, but getting run over sorta puts the kibosh on being showy for the year.

So they are next to a phlox clump for protection That side bed is pretty well drained and was amended with quite a few bags of Washington DC material, but composted. Otherwise, all I did was ignore them and they came up.

Ed Barrett
08-19-2014, 01:57 PM
I believe you should go light on the fertilizer and just use bone meal. Too fertile ground will make lots of foliage and not much blooming with most bulb type plants.

ohland
08-20-2014, 09:25 AM
I believe you should go light on the fertilizer and just use bone meal. Too fertile ground will make lots of foliage and not much blooming with most bulb type plants.

These have orange-ish roots sorta like a small daylilly without the tubers. Do not have rhizomes or tubers or toes.

Other than a few bags of composted cow manure, er, Washington DC product, they git what they git.

Ooh, http://www.perennialnursery.com/guides/pardancanda.html
"Mix a couple teaspoons of garden food or bone meal into the planting hole if desired."