PDA

View Full Version : what causing this part 2 and a half.

nagantguy
08-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you so much all who replied and helped in the first so titled thread. Like a bad horror movie this one countiues; the problems I've had with this old 1948 thuddy thuddy since finding it in a rottencloth case on a camp basement floor have been legion, I've fixed her up to look real pretty even saved and cleaned up the Lyman tang sight. Luckily the barrel and chamber of this old girl were packed full of grease so.at sometime in her long life someone loved her. She shoots jacketed fine win, fed handloads all good. No matter size down to..308 to 311 she will not chamber the ranchdog 165 flat noses from the group buy mold a year or so back that's big a great shooter in everything else I've tried her in. Anyhow the bolt wount fully close on a round so loaded until they are under mol. And even then its tuff and the chamber is leaving marks on the boolit. Factory rounds up to 170 feed and fire fine and even a 190 spire point I cast fer 06 will chamber if loaded a little short. Barrel slugs at 3109. And from the mold these are dropping 313 cast from ww water dropped. The chamber I have not cast as I did not have a problem with it until today. I will be done this weekend until then any ideas or input would be most welcome.

Shiloh
08-18-2014, 06:06 PM
How much under MOL are you to get the bolt to close and go into battery??
I have seated boolits depper than MOL and backed off the powder charge. How full is the case with powder for cat boolits?? Is there wiggle room??

Shiloh

nagantguy
08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Sorry should have elaborated these are only mouse fart unique loads. But had to seat them.deep enough that they were beyond my comfort zone and I'd not fire them with a full dose of deer/bear medicine.

nagantguy
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I've had to throat a 1911 before to get good reliability with my go to .45 boolit like to keep it simple, love this ranchdog mold, it is my new and always go to 30 plinker and deer boar bear pest, dirt clod buster. Never had to throat a 30 but this old gal has been a pain and I've had to learn a few new tricks as I took her down to the white and made her pretty again.

nagantguy
08-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Its also weird how well she shoots jacketed and that other boolit I tried.

44man
08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Where do the marks on the boolit appear? If on the nose bore ride you can buy a size die from one of the fellas here or lap a Lee die to just size the nose.
I made one boolit that needs the nose sized. I lapped a .285" Lee until the nose fits the bore. Now they chamber easy.

nagantguy
08-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Trying now topost some pics but never have I been able to so this time I will prevail!!!! Evil laugh implied.