PDA

View Full Version : Mutton(Lamb) Tallow Available

alamogunr
08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
A while back there was a thread that included posts looking for tallow to make BP lube. One source was:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

They were out of stock of tallow but allowed me to leave my email to be notified when available. I did that and got the email today.

One hitch that I didn't notice. They require a 75 lb min order. I sure don't need 75 lbs of tallow or approx 70 lbs of their meats. I've been thinking that a GB might be in order but distributing from one receiving point could get expensive too.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT! I read the site wrong. They require a 7 lb min order and $75 min order. I am ordering ten 2 lb pails and will sell the excess for my cost plus shipping if I can figure out how to ship for minimum expense. Hopefully, I will get an idea how to pack it when the order is received.

Omnivore
08-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Pharmapacks has it for over two dollars an ounce. I thought I'd got mine at Track of the Wolf, but I don't see it there now. Dixie Gun Works has it listed; 16 ounces for 5.75. Maybe that's where mine came from.

Track always has Mink tallow, which is as good and probably better in the same applications (and it's great on leather too) if you want a small quantity.

alamogunr
08-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I guess I should have checked Dixie. They are only approx. 50 miles from me. Every time I've checked before they were out of stock and were looking for a new supplier.

The tallow I just ordered comes in a 2 lb tub with a total cost of $11.74 to me. I have no idea what shipping(mailing?) one tub would cost.

rodwha
08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Your best bet would be to look at flat rate shipping I'd say. If it fits it ships they say...

alamogunr
08-18-2014, 06:55 PM
When I get this stuff, maybe this week, I'll check with the local shooting club to see if anyone wants a tub. If any is left, I'll put it in the S&S section.

Nobade
08-18-2014, 08:08 PM
It is pretty easy to make. I get sheep fat from the local butcher shop, and cook it all day on low in the crock pot. Decant off the clear part and you have mutton tallow. It's really cheap to do it yourself this way. Don't leave any of the not clear stuff in it, or it will go bad. Yuck!

-Nobade

alamogunr
08-18-2014, 10:46 PM
It is pretty easy to make. I get sheep fat from the local butcher shop, and cook it all day on low in the crock pot. Decant off the clear part and you have mutton tallow. It's really cheap to do it yourself this way. Don't leave any of the not clear stuff in it, or it will go bad. Yuck!

-Nobade

I have no desire to sit around cooking sheep fat. Not many sheep around here anyway. Even if there were, butcher shops are few and far between.

The stuff I ordered is cheap enough that I wouldn't bother. YMMV.

ogre
08-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I received my order about a month ago. I was impressed with the product and the shipping as well. I went with seven tubs: it might last me to the end of my natural life.

alamogunr
08-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I contacted the communications officer of the club I belong to and asked him to include my information in his next general email. Hasn't happened yet but I'm hopeful that I can get rid of over half of what I have.

The tallow was delivered this morning. I am impressed, as well, with the packaging. delivered cost was about 11.75/two lb tub. I paid that much for 7 one oz plastic jars.

If I have to keep all 10 tubs, about 7 or 8 will go to my heirs.