PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die ???

oneMOA
08-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Does the boolit sizer swage the diameter down or is lead sheared off? I have watched some youtube videos with sizers in operation and it doesn't appear to be any lead shaving falling out of the tool.

Dusty Bannister
08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/hi-sizing-dies.php

The tapered entry to the size die is intended to swage to the indicated diameter, it does not cut the bullet to size.

bedbugbilly
08-19-2014, 07:45 AM
I have an old mold that casts a RN for my 38s that produces a boolit that is not perfectly round - i.e.. "lop sided" or "oval" for want of a better word. I use a Lee push through sizing die for it and in that particular circumstance - after sizing them, they come out "round". Basically all it's doing is swaging it so it is round.

Not particularly earth shattering info ration but once in a while you could get a mold that doesn't produce a perfectly round cast and it's a solution to it. I am just a "plinker" and they come out just fine and shoot fine for what I'm doing.

GhostHawk
08-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Dusty nailed it.

In most cases my boolits only have a shiny spot on the driving bands, that may or may not go all the way around.
And gas check if any is squeezed in for a firm grip on the boolit.

dakotashooter2
08-19-2014, 09:09 AM
If sized down quite a bit some of the lead will be pushed into the lube grooves.