PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 broke

SniderBoomer
08-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Well, this bolt snapped, no warning it was going to go.

Took me surprise, some choice expletives followed loudly. That was just lubing some 30-cals.

Wish they'd make them stronger, only had this from new a few months.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2mfm7ls.jpg

08-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Prior to buying a 4500, I'd read, here, that the linkage bolts could break. As soon as I received it, I replaced the original bolts with Grade 8 and the nuts with Nylocks.

offshore44
08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Same thing happened here. A quick visit to the hardware store when I was in town fixed the problem. Grab a couple of extras while you are at it. They're cheap, in the grand scheme of things. Check the lower hole on the handle as well. Mine elongated and broke out after a period of sizing down .458's to .452 for paper patching. Replaced the handle with one fabricated from tool steel, fitted to the press. Problem(s) solved.

Walter Laich
08-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Mine let loose a few years ago. As mentioned quick trip to ACE hardware and back in business.
Does take you by surprise, though!

prs
08-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Grade 8 and lubing the pivot holes. Lube the luber. lol

prs

fred2892
08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
I would advise against the stronger bolts. I tried that and the damned linkage casting cracked. Perhaps that's why the bolts are deliberately made from cheese.

MT Chambers
08-23-2014, 06:55 PM
That linkage is the weak point and will break before the cheapo bolts do usually, at least it does for me!

ejh69
08-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Same problem here.I upgraded to a better quality bolt but be careful of the linkage as another weak link. I also upgraded the linkage but I now am very careful of not over stressing the unit. I have also just picked up a RCBS unit. I think they may be better built. My experence around farm equip.-- there are stress bolts all over to break before a major gear box breaks.

texassako
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I would advise against the stronger bolts. I tried that and the damned linkage casting cracked. Perhaps that's why the bolts are deliberately made from cheese.

Probably built in as a weak link on purpose. Lots of things are made that way. I would much rather break a cheap bolt I can find local than something more expensive I have to order.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Having owned one of those lymans and knowing the state of their customer service, my suggestion is to replace the bolt, sell it and get yourself a brand new Magma Star from Lathesmith on this forum. Get your dies from him as well, premium quality, much faster than the lyman and if you take care of it, no breakage issues.

SniderBoomer
08-28-2014, 05:10 AM
Just to tidy this up, Lyman apologized and sending a new bolt direct.

Meantime, I fitted a titanium part-threaded bolt I got from car race-engine suppliers. Hardly any weight to these things, amazing material. Perfect fit and never had sizing/lubing feel so rock-solid, I think the original bolt was bent for a long time before it just snapped.

Dave - Magma' definately on my Christmas wish-list, I know that gear is the best.

fryboy
08-28-2014, 05:44 AM
titanium ... wears a bit quicker than steel but does offer different sheer characteristics

QIDPlb
08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Change mine to grade 8 bolts after blogs failed.
No issues for 10 years.