PDA

View Full Version : Buying Mule Deer antlers in Wyoming - is it legal?

Muskyhunter1
08-18-2014, 05:32 AM
A few years back I was out in Wyoming and I saw some Mulie Racks for sale. I would love to buy a set for my wood shed at camp.

Going back to Wyoming this fall. Is it legal to buy and sell them?

Thanks.

Djones
08-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Sheds or complete racks connected with skull?

runfiverun
08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
for sure check the Wyoming game and fish site.
they had some recent rules changes on where shed antlers can and cannot be picked up.
such as east but not west of the continental divide, except on private property...etc.
airc they also have rules on full sets of antlers needing a tag or bill of sale or some such.

dk17hmr
08-23-2014, 01:16 PM
There is a rule about antlers being attached to the skull plate. I would just call game and fish and hear what they have to say.

Muskyhunter1
08-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys. I saw full racks on the skull plate for sale. I will wait till I am out there and give them a call.

jiandawg
08-24-2014, 11:02 AM
I believe that for antlers with the skull plate require an interstate game tag, while sheds require nothing special. Or so a friend that collects antlers says.

dk17hmr
08-24-2014, 11:53 PM
I believe that for antlers with the skull plate require an interstate game tag, while sheds require nothing special. Or so a friend that collects antlers says.

I believe that is correct. I pulled a 4 point skull out of a creek when elk hunting one year I packed it back to camp and left it near our game pole. One of my hunting partners decided to take it home but had to stop at a check station on the way out. Game Warden made him buy a tag for it because the skull was still there....I think it was $8

RPRNY
08-25-2014, 12:25 AM
I was just at Hank' s Grill on 59 between Gillette and Douglas on Friday and they had a big pile of sheds for sale (didn't see a price). It being WY, strikes me as any law regarding transport of antlers affixed to skulls will be federal rather than state.

Hickory
08-25-2014, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys. I saw full racks on the skull plate for sale. I will wait till I am out there and give them a call.

If you do buy one keep the bill-of-sale with a description of what you bought on it.