PDA

View Full Version : eyeglass accessories

Catch
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm the new (old) guy on the block. This is Catch and I like to shoot lead bullets in old military (and other) rifles. Been doing it for 53 years. I am 73 yrs old and now require a device on my glasses so that the front sight is clear enough for me to do moderately well. I have made some home made attempts but I am now looking for a commercial model that will attach to my glasses hopefully with an iris device like a camera that will make the small hole any size I need depending on the light conditions. Has anyone out there seen or used a device of this kind that they can recommend for me? With my homemades which I have cobbled together the biggest problem is the hole size needs to be changed from day to day and light situation to cloud cover, and it is difficult to get the hole in the right place without alot of adjusting etc. I would also like any suggestions for solutions to this problem that anyone else has had success with, and if they are home made, I would like to try them. Thanks for your help. I'm glad to be here and hope I can be of help to someone else. Catch

Oneshot
01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Never used one but some swear by the Merit Optical device. It is available with different size holes.

trk
01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
There are three major brands that I'm aware of - Merrit, Knobloch and something that begins with a G.

Try Sinclair's or Precision Shooting Supply. They all work, some have features that some folks prefer over others.

Nueces
01-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Howdy, Catch, welcome aboard. I lag ya about 13 years and have started using the Merit eyeglass attachment for handgun shooting. Works great. I use a pair of drug store 1.00 diopter glasses for rifles (farsighted). Here is a link to the Brownells page with the Merit device:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8767&title=DELUXE%20OPTICAL%20ATTACHMENT

The aperture is an adjustable iris. You stick the suction cup onto your lens and swing the aperture into position for shooting. Because of face position when cheeking a rifle stock, I'm looking through the top inner corner of my right-eye lens. I think you'd have to bend the metal tab between the suction cup and iris in order to align the iris with your sight line. I think it's doable.

Mark

Naphtali
01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
You may find these articles useful

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

mroliver77
01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Very informative reading!!
J

PatMarlin
01-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I bought a Merit. Well made little buggar, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like a weener.. :drinks:

Morgan Astorbilt
01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Catch, I use an iris diaphragm for target shooting. There are only two good brands that clip onto regular eyeglasses. Gehmann, and Anschutz(made by Gehmann?) Before getting my adjustable shooting glasses(Swiss Champions) I used the Gehmann for about ten years. They're much better than the Merit, made just like a fine camera's adjustable aperture. They're $62.00 at Champion's Choice.

#390 Shooter's Iris Disc.

1/800-345-7179 or,

www.champchoice.com
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Here's the on line catalog page:
http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=390
Morgan

Razor
01-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi catch..
And welcome

I'm cheap..:oops:
I use black electricians tape with a pin or small nail hole..on an old pair of glasses.
Heckofa lot cheaper than 60/some bucks...

Razor

Err.. anybody thought of using slightly used coffee grounds for tumbling media ??

Red Logan
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm in tha same boat, but I found stick on bifocals n line just a drop of water and ya are good to go been on some glasses for a year or more, but dont leave em in the car, cold and heat may cause em to come off, just type in stick on bifocals in youe google.... your eye doc can tell ya which ones to get,, a real life saver for me...

shooter2
02-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I've used the Merit attachment and can highly recommend it. If you are at the point where you need bifocal lenses, consider the gradient lenses. I find I can tilt my head to bring the front sight into focus. Works with handguns. With rifles, go with a peep or a scope.

PatMarlin
02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
One thing I like about the Merit so far is the ajustable aperature, and the fact that it is a small diameter unit as a whole, and doesn't block out any view on my glasses.

mroliver77
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Any body else experience seeing "spider webs" inside an aperture sight? I wondered if with the Merit I would experience this also.
J

AZ Pete
02-02-2008, 10:45 PM
+1 for the Gehmann iris. I prefer to clip the device on my glasses than have a suction cup on the lense.

utk
02-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Any body else experience seeing "spider webs" inside an aperture sight? I wondered if with the Merit I would experience this also.
J

I've read that you can see "spider webs" when the hole is too small.