PDA

View Full Version : A giant, well maybe just a truly huge pile of dies, needs to leave my house!

BrassMagnet
08-17-2014, 09:14 AM
A giant, well maybe just a truly huge pile of dies, needs to leave my house!

I have sorted them out by caliber and I have recovered all of the sets I could build which our members wanted. Now I want to divide what is left among our members who are machinists and can machine these die bodies into usable dies. One of our members is already making "M" dies out of some of them.

There are far more seating dies than sizing dies and most, if not all, of the common caliber sizing dies that remain are trashed. There may still be usable sets available in the larger and stranger calibers such as 257 WBY Mag, 300 H&H, 375 This or That Mag, etc! However, this was such a nightmare project that I will not be reopening the giveaway thread as I had originally planned.

This is part of what of what I posted in the die giveaway thread:

These dies came as a big pile of dies and used to belong to a commercial reloading outfit...actually, two commercial reloading outfits. They are in a giant, well maybe just a truly huge pile of dies. Most have been disassembled. Some are a little rusty and some are a lot rusty. Some even appear to be new and unused dies. The dies which appear to be new and unused are mostly seating dies. Almost all of the sizing dies are steel vice carbide.
There are a limited number of calibers available. There are usually a lot of sets of each caliber. These calibers are calibers which were popular in the 1960s and 1970s. The newest date I have seen on a die is 1980 and many are dated in the 1960s. Many of the die sets are labeled with cartridge designations which were wildcats which became now familiar factory cartridges. A few are from improved cartridges and some are so rare that I have never heard of them! With the number of die sets of each caliber which are available, it makes me wonder if they wore out the sizing dies.

Here are links to the two relevant threads:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232959-A-limited-number-of-die-sets-will-be-available-soon

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?234001-A-limited-number-of-die-sets-are-available

Now I want to send the remnants to members that can make something useful out of what is left. There are many pistol dies, many 22 Rem Jet dies, many rifle dies, and many magnum rifle dies.

So if you like to machine damaged dies into useful dies and have a preference for starting with a certain style of dies do PM me your preferences as to which dies you would like. If you have no preferences, please state that, too!

I will post this in Helping Hands and in Swapping and Selling. PM requests first rather than posting or emailing. With multiple threads this will get real confusing real fast!

Please don't PM me with a request for a specific set of dies or for a mould! This is getting out of control and my in box runneth over! This thread is to send dies to machinists who will make them into what they want.

BrassMagnet
08-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Please don't PM me with a request for a specific set of dies or for a mould! This is getting out of control and my in box runneth over! This thread is to send dies to machinists who will make them into what they want.

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Well, I took a whole bunch of boxes to the Post Office yesterday and another whole bunch of boxes today.
I am still not done.
I am officially tired!
Now I will rest by sending tracking info PMs on the stuff I mailed yesterday and today.

NewbieDave007
08-23-2014, 02:22 PM
BrassMagnet - You are one crazy guy. All be it a "nice crazy" and not a "crazy crazy". Very cool what you've done and continue to do. Don't forget to let me know when you're in my neck of the woods so I can buy you lunch.

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Tanstafl

Sometimes there is a free lunch!

NewbieDave007
08-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Lol. I'll admit that I had to look that one up. I promiss it will be a few lunch. Lol

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Lol. I'll admit that I had to look that one up. I promiss it will be a few lunch. Lol

I guess you never read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A Heinlein.

Read it now or you will never understand "throwing rice!"

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 04:18 PM
I have finished my rest break sending out PMs with tracking info.
Now I need to get back to packing boxes for next Friday's mail run.
If I have sent you a PM requesting a mailing address and I don't get it in time, I will just slap a different address label on the box and send it to someone else with machinery.
You Snooze, You Lose has always been the rule in my family!

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 06:32 PM
I just cleaned out a lot of the PM I don't need any more. 310 in my inbox and 356 in my sent folder. No wonder this dies thread was so much trouble!

BrassMagnet
08-25-2014, 07:40 AM
I've finally got the last of them boxed and ready to mail. My next post office run should be Friday. Two large grocery bags full!

hardcase54
08-26-2014, 01:20 AM
Re'cd my package yesterday, thanks.

BrassMagnet
08-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Finally, they are all gone. I have PM'ed tracking info to everyone.
Now maybe I can do some garage cleaning and sorting!