PDA

View Full Version : what is causing this?

nagantguy
08-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Got a used new to me she of Lee dies fer 30-30, when in seat my go to cast bullet a RD 165 there is lots of lead shaving. The boolits fall from the mold at 311 case mouths seem as belled as with the other set of dies I lent out and never got back. This die set is of newer manufacturer then my old ones anything different I should be looking for?

websterz
08-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Is it shaving lead evenly all around the bullet or just on one side? I get little lead smilies sometimes if I'm rushing and a case goes into the seating die with a tilted bullet.

Yodogsandman
08-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Are you belling the mouth with a mouth expanding die, like a Lyman "M" die or the Lee universal expander die? Are you using the same cases as before? Do you need more of a chamfer inside the case mouth?

boho
08-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Measure your case mouth expander in your sizing die. It may be .309.

tomme boy
08-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Get a RCBS neck expander die and get the different expanders to adjust the neck tension. Or have Buckshot make the one you need. It will expand the neck to the correct diameter and bell the mouth at the same time.

Bzcraig
08-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Have you mic'ed your boolits? Are you sizing them? If so, to what size? As mentioned, are you expanding the case mouth?

zuke
08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Boolit's too big for case mouth.
Bell mouth, they'll go in.

JWFilips
08-17-2014, 07:36 AM
I think the OP may be referring to the inside of the die may be shaving metal from the boolit.
If this is the case try to screw your seating stem deeper into the die. I have found some Lee dies have a tight channel where the seating cap resides

08-17-2014, 07:50 AM
All that stuff above as well as my little technique: As the case moves up toward seating the boolit, I turn the case to allow the boolit to center itself in the die. There is a natural cant to the boolit whenever you set it on top of the open case mouth, no matter how good you are. I turn the case as the boolit is seating, which tends to straighten it as it enters the case mouth. Works for me on those that just seem to be a tight fit or where an offset entry shaves lead.

44man
08-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Need a flare tool, they don't come with rifle dies. I made my own to fit an old RCBS expander die.
.311" is a good size for the 30-30.
Hornady dies have an inline seater, others do not, keeps boolits straight.

gpidaho
08-17-2014, 08:23 AM
As JW mentioned above, I have had Lee dies that needed to be opened up a little bit in the channel to keep them from swaging lead boolits. GP

Foto Joe
08-17-2014, 08:40 AM
A few months ago when I started loading (Lyman 311041GV) for 30-30 using Lee dies I went through the same thing. The Lyman "M" die is the hot ticket for curing the problem.

nagantguy
08-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks all its the case mouth shaving a neat 3/4 ring of lead. Did everything the same as before guess these new Lee dies are a tighter fit, seem like more umph is needed to size decapp I going to look at a the Lyman m tool.

RED333
08-17-2014, 10:31 AM
In the mean time you can use a pair if needle nose pliers to get ya by.
Just be careful not to bell to much.

nagantguy
08-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Anyone have a Lyman m die in 30-30 they would care to sell or trade?

Wayne Smith
08-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Just pick up a Lyman M die body (long or short, often on eBay) and PM Buckshot to make you a spud for your boolit.

cdngunner
08-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Need a flare tool, they don't come with rifle dies. I made my own to fit an old RCBS expander die.
.311" is a good size for the 30-30.
Hornady dies have an inline seater, others do not, keeps boolits straight.

This.

Centaur 1
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Anyone have a Lyman m die in 30-30 they would care to sell or trade?

Go ahead and get a Lyman M die for the calibers that you shoot a lot. It's also a good idea to pick up a Lee universal expander, they're under $20 and can be adjusted to expand all calibers. It's just something that's nice to have around in case you need it.

Wayne Smith
08-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Go ahead and get a Lyman M die for the calibers that you shoot a lot. It's also a good idea to pick up a Lee universal expander, they're under $20 and can be adjusted to expand all calibers. It's just something that's nice to have around in case you need it.

Yeah, except the Lee die doesn't expand, it flares. The M expands and leaves an even shelf for the boolit base to rest on as you seat it, thus helping straightness in seating. The Lee doesn't.

bruce381
08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
run a deburing tool champer on the case mouth

nvbirdman
08-20-2014, 11:20 PM
The inside neck diameter of the seating die is probably a little too small for boolits. It is designed to seat a condom bullet, and the tight id helps align the bullet, but causes problems when using boolits.
I had the same problem with my RCBS 308 seating die and simply backed the die out and screwed down the seating stem, but I don't have to worry about crimping my 308s.

44man
08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
"M" die a solution to a problem that does not exist, loss of case tension. Made for soft lead you can't shoot anyway. you need to flare to start a boolit and seat straight, dies are not equal.
Your next problem is the necks are thicker on one side then the other, bad on the 30-30. You will get run out so boolits do not start straight. Roll a load across a table and see the wobble.114127This is what a lever gun will do at 100. Three shots in the can at 5/16". I quit fooling with the 30-30, can hit a walnut at 100.
Buy an "M" die and weep. Buy Hornady dies and turn case necks. Still need a flare tool.
A long time ago I had a Marlin .35 Rem that did 1/2" at 100 all day with Hornady bullets, but I failed with cast. I did not know enough. But had a 71 Winchester that did 1" at 100 and a 25-20 that did 3/4" with open sights on both using cast. Never got the marlin to shoot cast. I have solved it and wish I had the .35.

nagantguy
08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Lots of good info here thanks y'all I used a spud from a larger caliber and by use of rubber mallet flared the case mouth and viola no shaving and my die crimps it real nice and I've gotten good accuracy from a light unique load and surprising penetration on some popler fire wood. But still need to try smaller ogive boolit, which trade is in works for. Open to trades mine fer yours and willing to buy a mold if first swap isn't a winner. So far cost of fixing up this old girl and getting her to shoot cast hasn't out weight the fun. Keep ideas coming, I love em smart enough to know I don't know squat. Thanks