PDA

View Full Version : I should have cheated

idahoron
08-16-2014, 11:40 PM
My son is super busy being 20 years old with a wife and a baby, but I got him out to shoot with me. He was using the Hot Rod Renegade and I was using the Hot Rod Renegade Hunter single trigger. They are below in that order.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Flatlander2.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Upgrade1_zps7c674d7a.jpg

So we get to the range and both guns are sighted in out to 250 yards. My rifle has been shot a little less then Jacobs. His rifle has been the go to rifle for many years. Our load was the same as always, 80 grains of Pyrodex P. We used an over powder wad, and a Paper Patched Lee 500 S&W bullet. The game was PIG and we used either shooting sticks or off hand. All yardages were confirmed with a rangefinder and I told him the yardage just like we were hunting.
The target was a 12x17 steel target on a steel frame.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/target2_zpsc35abb8f.jpg

Jacob picked the yardage, and I shot first. After several rounds we were tied no misses. So Jacob picked a 50 yard shot, and I get ready to shoot. I have a hang fire and I miss! I was so mad at my self letting him get me on a chip shot. His shot almost punched through the metal. It is the one just to the left of the faint orange spot. After each round I painted the holes so we could tell where we hit. I was surprised that we had four hits go through the hole. We could not have confirmed it unless we painted each time. I picked a 125 yard off hand shot that gave Jacob his P and now we were tied.

We reloaded and this had to be the last shot. By this time we were into this game almost two hours and we were tied with only one miss a piece. After loading I headed out to 250 yards. This was the Quigly shot. I set my sight and I looked over at Jacobs sight. His setting was different than mine. I thought to myself I should just use his setting since I knew that setting was a proven setting. My setting on my rifle had only a few shots and that was in a wind. I told Jacob I saw his setting and I wondered why mine was different. I decided not to cheat and I shot my setting. I was high, DANG!! Jacob and I were dealing with a right to left wind and he didn't dope the wind. His bullet pulled left and off the target, and it hit the leg of the stand. The spray of the lead hit the target like a shotgun pattern. You could see faint silver shards on it. His elevation was on so he beat me.

I gave him that one and called him the winner. I payed up the usual bet of an ice cream cone and decided to shoot today. There was no wind so I got to shoot over a bench and confirm my 200 yard sight in. I hit the hole in the target. That made me happy so I headed out to 250 yards. I loaded and shot the setting that jacob shot. I hit the metal on the first shot. It was at the bottom left corner. I made an adjustment and hit it again.
Getting this rifle ready to hunt with has been fun. I changed the trigger guard a month ago or so. That change has been awesome. The rifle shoots like a dream.

The long range shooting is not to stretch out my personal limits. My personal limit is 150 yards on the first shot at an animal. All the settings past that are if something went wrong and I have a wounded animal I have the ability to keep shooting to clean up a mess. I practice that scenario but I have never had to do it in the field with my 500 S&W bullets. Hunting season is getting close, We will have a chance to play PIG again I hope before the season is on us. Ron

tomme boy
08-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Did you ever get the stocks to stop cracking? If you did, how did you fix them? Looking for some more pictures of game again.

triggerhappy243
08-17-2014, 02:02 AM
I want to know where you got the stainless steel barrels.

idahoron
08-17-2014, 08:14 AM
tomme boy, The stock that cracked was on the double trigger gun. I ended up getting a new stock for it because nothing I did stopped it from cracking again.
Triggerhappy, They are Green Mountain 1-28 twist barrels. I have 5 of them in 45 and 50's. Ron

izzyjoe
08-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Nice shooting, you are right season is almost upon us, I need to get to the range myself.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Fine looking rifles, good shooting and time spent with your son. I miss doing that. My son is up in Boston working on making himself a fortune, so I don't get to spend much time with him. Hopefully in the future, we'll do so again.

Fly
08-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Great post Ron, as always.My Lyman GPH barrel is on it's way.Only thing I plan different than we talked about is real black.

I can not bring my self to burn the fake stuff (wink) Fly

idahoron
08-19-2014, 06:52 PM
I will be very interested on how the black works. I would use it if I could get it locally. We haven't been about to buy black for years.