PDA

View Full Version : A good day...

375supermag
08-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi...

I actually had a Saturday off work this week and decided that I would do a tour of the local (and not so local) gunshops in the area.

Stopped at a couple shops in the Middletown,Pa area about 15-20 miles from home. One shop had a few 1-Lb containers of Bullseye for $23.99 each. I have 4 lbs, so I didn't buy any because I thought it a bit expensive.
No .22LR to be found...primers by the many thousands, most other handgun powders non-existent. I have about 15-20 thousand primers of various types, so I passed on them as well.

Next, we drove out to the Lebanon,Pa area...about a 45-minute drive(more or less).
One shop (Shyda's) is a major distributor in the area. No .22LR to be found, except a couple of boxes of EXPENSIVE match grade Eley ammunition. I don't require that type of .22LR ammunition, so I left it on the shelf.
I did come across several 1-lb containers of Blue dot at $18.99 each. I have about 4-5 lbs on hand, but I go through a lot in .357Mag and .41Mag cast bullet loads, so I bought 1lb.

Our next stop was a small shop called Enck's Gun Barn. I really like this place because they cater to SASS-types. Lots of commercial cast lead bullets and SA revolvers on hand at all times. They are big into M1911s also, so they are a perfect fit for me.

Managed to find some Remington .41Mag brass (100 cases for $32.80 pre-tax) and some Remington .45AutoRim for $31.70/100 pre-tax.
I don't really need them, as I already had about 500 cases for each caliber, but I haven't seen any for sale locally in well over a year. More brass can't be a bad thing. Both packs came home with me and I left a few behind for the next guy. I'll probably wander back over there in a couple/ three weeks and see if they get any .44Spl and .45Colt brass in.

Finally , we found some .22LR at reasonable prices. My son bought a 300ct bulk pack of CCI Swamp People 36gr truncated nose to try out in his H&K carbine. By the way...what exactly is/was/are Swamp People??? Cost $23.30 pre-tax.That figures out to about 7.7 cents per shot.
I was also able to buy 4 50ct boxes of Remington Thunderbolts for $2.50/box(pre-tax). That figures out to 5cents/round.
I have a new-to-me Dan Wesson .22LR revolver that I want to try these in. It has shot about 8 different .22LR loadings quite well to this point in the month or so I have had it, so hopefully these will be at least as accurate as the other loads in my stash.
We would have bought more and some different loadings, but they are limiting customers to one box or 200 rounds per day.
I still have several thousand rounds of .22LR on hand, but some different loadings with a couple of new guns is a good thing. Besides, that little H&K carbine really chews up the ammo.

All in all, a pretty good day on the gunshop tour circuit. Had breakfast out, drove over 100 miles with the windows down and the rock n roll playing and had a nice early dinner. Good prices and availability on some needed shooting and reloading items and a day off work with my son...PRICELESS!!!

TXGunNut
08-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Good day indeed, all I accomplished is some much-needed lawn mowing and a nap...and scrubbing & heat cycling a new NOE mould. Hope to cast a few with it after I spend a little quality time with my Echo trimmer.

bubba.50
08-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Swamp People is a show on history channel about a bunch of Cajun 'gator hunters. pretty decent show if ya can get past the edit monkeys they have who know absolutely nothin' about guns. or huntin' either for that matter.

and the box of .22's likely has a picture of a big feller with a mustache, Troy Landry "king of the swamp".

375supermag
08-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Good day indeed, all I accomplished is some much-needed lawn mowing and a nap...and scrubbing & heat cycling a new NOE mould. Hope to cast a few with it after I spend a little quality time with my Echo trimmer.
Yeah...
I probably should have tended to the grounds of the estate myself.
Just didn't feel like wasting a beautiful summer day cutting grass for some reason. Maybe tomorrow...maybe, maybe not...

375supermag
08-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Swamp People is a show on history channel about a bunch of Cajun 'gator hunters. pretty decent show if ya can get past the edit monkeys they have who know absolutely nothin' about guns. or huntin' either for that matter.

and the box of .22's likely has a picture of a big feller with a mustache, Troy Landry "king of the swamp".

Hi...
Never heard of the show or the guy before today.
Guess I live a sheltered life.

starmac
08-16-2014, 08:36 PM
You was doing great right down to the end when you had to listen to that rock and roll, ain't you folks got any country stations there. lol

osteodoc08
08-16-2014, 09:22 PM
You was doing great right down to the end when you had to listen to that rock and roll, ain't you folks got any country stations there. lol

Probably the same reason he hasnt heard of Swamp People. LOL

MaryB
08-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Cut more parts for the new battery box to house my solar battery bank. Making a sort of bench to house 1200 pounds of batteries on the other side of the living room. Get them in from the cold/hot cycles for longer battery life. Going to put a riser on it with a cutting top for my leather work and make it multiple use. It will be sealed and vented to the outdoors and I have reinforced the floor where it is going to sit so the floor wont sag with 70 pounds per sq foot parked on it. Plus it is laundry day yippee! I hate washing one blanket, it takes forever to get dry

TXGunNut
08-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Yeah...
I probably should have tended to the grounds of the estate myself.
Just didn't feel like wasting a beautiful summer day cutting grass for some reason. Maybe tomorrow...maybe, maybe not...

Glad I got it mowed, 2 acres can be a bear on a triple-digit day like today. Better today than tomorrow. Shower moved thru a little while ago and it's going to be sticky, at best, in the AM.
I did cast a few piles of boolits before supper so it wasn't a wasted day. :-)
Gonna take that boy shootin' tomorrow? Can't leave that 22 ammo setting on the shelf; folks will think you're hoarding it. ;-)

375supermag
08-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Hi...

Went through a country music phase a few years ago. Big fan of Hank, Martina McBride and Sarah Evans.
Sorta reverted back to classic rock n roll from the beginning up until the late '80s or so with a bit of new stuff tossed in here and there..

Mostly listen to classical music when reading in the den.

Never did watch much TV...sports and movies, usually. I watch a couple of TV series...Longmire, Under the Dome, Manhattan(new one...pretty good acting) and Big Bang Theory.

I would much rather hang in the den with a book on military history or paleontology, but we do have a family TV night where we watch the aforementioned shows that my wife DVRs for us to watch together. Makes my wife happy...as we all know, happy wife, happy life.

375supermag
08-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Glad I got it mowed, 2 acres can be a bear on a triple-digit day like today. Better today than tomorrow. Shower moved thru a little while ago and it's going to be sticky, at best, in the AM.
I did cast a few piles of boolits before supper so it wasn't a wasted day. :-)
Gonna take that boy shootin' tomorrow? Can't leave that 22 ammo setting on the shelf; folks will think you're hoarding it. ;-)

He pretty much takes me shooting these days...he turned 20 this past January and he generally drives just about anywhere we go the last few years.
I drive a hundred miles more or less every day back and forth to work, so I am more than happy to let someone else drive.

Don't think we will make it to the gun club this weekend...we burned up a few hundred rounds last Sunday. I had hoped to cut the grass and do some other outside projects today, but it is raining this morning. Should have done it yesterday, but a gunshop tour seemed like a better idea.

starmac
08-17-2014, 01:17 PM
I was just jerking your chain on the music. I have heard of Swamp people, but never seen it, and don't really listen to music much at all. We do have a really good oldies country station here though when I do get the urge. lol I do, or did watch the Longmire show you mentioned though.

TXGunNut
08-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Don't think we will make it to the gun club this weekend...we burned up a few hundred rounds last Sunday. I had hoped to cut the grass and do some other outside projects today, but it is raining this morning. Should have done it yesterday, but a gunshop tour seemed like a better idea.-375supermag

Had another nice shower this morning, glad I got my yardwork done yesterday. Was considering a range trip but I'm working on a batch of boolits and laundry. May do the gunshop tour thing while my boolits are drying but not sure it's worth the gas & drive time; I do an 80-mile commute daily myself and don't have the luxury of a young chauffeur.

MaryB
08-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Going to have to mow sometime this week, had just enough rain to make the weeds grow, grass crunches as I walk on it.