PDA

View Full Version : What do you guy's have to pay in the States?

Limey
01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
It was my local gun clubs annual boot sale today.....club members can have a table and sell off or trade any unwanted shooting kit and guns they no longer want.

Along with this a there is always a few local professional dealers selling reloading supplies, guns etc.

I went to buy some more new 45/70 brass to top up my stock......last year I bought 50 45/70's for 30 Euros.......this year, from the same dealer, the price was 48 Euro's for 50!!!!!!

The current Euro/Dollar exchange rate is one Euro = one dollar 47 cents....

...this means that each 45/70 case was costing one dollar 41 cents......!!!!

I asked the guy why the price had jumped so high so quick....he said because China was buying everything available on the metal's market and had forced all the prices up...........

Out of interest, what are prices like for you in the States?

Safe shooting

Limey

DLCTEX
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I checked Midway's flyer, 100 cases for 53.00, or .53 cents each. Maybe the shipping is high? Not! Dale

HeavyMetal
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
To give you an idea of how things are here in the States steel has gone up 135% in 12 month, lead has gone up 260% in 14 months! Gold is $917.00 an oz.

All the other metals are moving accordingly. Yes it is all going to China because it's easier to buy our scrap than it is for them to smelt thier own! I see card board going the same way. Two years ago if you got 20.00 a ton you were doing well today its 140.00 a ton and every dumpster has someone pulling the waste cardboard everyday! I've seen whole families "dumpster diving" for cardboard and scrap metal! Give them credit it's paying the house payment and sennding the kids to college!

lathesmith
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Hello, looks like a quick check of prices here shows 45-70 brass from a couple of major suppliers to be in the $55-60 dollar range, plus shipping and possibly tax. Especially since the first of the year, it seems there has been a considerable price increases across the board for most ammunition components. Sign of the times, I guess.
lathesmith

lovedogs
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I'd just like to know if we in this country will ever seek to remedy this. Why are we allowing ourselves to be treated like this? I understand free enterprise but there must be a way of keeping this sort of thing under control better than is being done. This and lots of other stupidities are ruining our economy. If it keeps up all these other nations we're "helping" will be better off than we are.

NSP64
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm going to use my $600.00 return of taxes bail out money to jump start the gun industry. I wonder what Washington will think if everyone used their rebate to buy a gun?[smilie=1:

oneokie
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
posted by newsmokepole64;

I wonder what Washington will think if everyone used their rebate to buy a gun?

That you were using your rebate to stimulate the wrong type of economy.

jhrosier
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
.... I wonder what Washington will think if everyone used their rebate to buy a gun?[smilie=1:

Send a message to the candidates? [smilie=1:

Sounds like a movement that I could join. :drinks:

Jack

shotstring
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Just be glad you don't shoot 300 win mag. Midways latest flyer shows about a 30% price increase for Lapua brass and the 300 win mag stuff is going for around $156 for 100 empty cases. :killingpc

Boz330
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd just like to know if we in this country will ever seek to remedy this. Why are we allowing ourselves to be treated like this? I understand free enterprise but there must be a way of keeping this sort of thing under control better than is being done. This and lots of other stupidities are ruining our economy. If it keeps up all these other nations we're "helping" will be better off than we are.

It is the free market system. Beleive me you don't want the government dictating prices on anything. All that does is make it non-available instead of expensive, except through the black market where it will be very expensive.
But I heard over the weekend that the recession is going to drive down metal prices so there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. And take a look at the lumber industry, they say lowest prices in 20 years. I have not confirmed this but intend to. I built my house right before the spotted owl drove up lumber prices 20 years ago.:mrgreen:

Bob

MT Gianni
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Boz330, So far the low timber prices are only at the stump. Things take a while to drop. Gianni

brshooter
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Gander Mountain in Watertown, NY had 45-70 brass, 50 Win cases for $47.00 US. Starline Brass on their website has it, postpaid, $ 333.95 per 1000. Two months ago bought 2000 for $ 314.50 per 1000 postpaid. And they have international sales, I believe.

mroliver77
01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
. Yes it is all going to China because it's easier to buy our scrap than it is for them to smelt thier ![/QUOTE]

Don't fret guys,I am pretty sure they have plans on sending it back to us!
J

Paul B
02-09-2008, 05:06 PM
. Yes it is all going to China because it's easier to buy our scrap than it is for them to smelt thier !

Don't fret guys,I am pretty sure they have plans on sending it back to us!
J[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I'm thinking we may not like the form they send it in.
Paul B.
"What good fortune for givernment that the people do not think."
Adolph Hitler

mag44uk
02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Limey,
Are there any good gun shops along the coast from Calais down to Dieppe that you know of?
I am looking for somewhere that is good for primers,bullets and powder especially Swiss black. Did a Google but mon francais est le merde!
Regards,
Tony

blysmelter
02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
European importers is raising their prices as it gets more difficult to ship gunrelated items out of US. But send some e-mails and check around, different companies have different policies on this subject. Some does nor export anything wich can be attached to or used in a gun, others ships anything but complete guns and loaded ammo.