PDA

View Full Version : Air gun oil

RU shooter
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
A question for you air rifle shooters out there I know your to use air gun oil in your rifles ,Is air tool oil the same stuff as I have a gallon of it at work ? Also how much are you to use and how often ?one or two drops a week,month????? this is all new to me as I bought my rifles used with no instructions!

9.3X62AL
01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
You want non-petroleum oils in air guns, esp. in spring-piston guns. Over-oiling with ANY oil will produce "dieseling", for the same reasons the principle works in engines--rapid compression creating sufficient heat to ignite a fuel/air mixture that resides within lower and upper explosive limit of the oil/air mixture. Petroleum-based lubricants have a wider limit span than the airgun-specific oils, hence the caveat against the petro-oil.

My RWS airguns recommend one drop every 500-750 shots for the compression chamber. I would recommend contacting the maker of your airgun for a owner's manual that includes preventive maintenence guidelines. Dieseling can well and truly screw up a compression chamber on springers.

felix
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Prolly one of the best:
Flash Ignition
Canola 232-290C 330-360C

... felix

of course, my favorite:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/jojoba.html

Slowpoke
01-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I tried the Jojoba on a whim in my Sheridan, I will use nothing else now, quite and smooth sums it up .

I even rubbed some on the the old stock and the little rifle never looked so good ,a year later it still has that soft hand rubbed glow.

good luck