PDA

View Full Version : What's to see in Minniapolis?

blaser.306
08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Myself and a couple of workmates are heading to the US for work training. Just may be that we have a little time to ourselves, What is worth taking a look at in Minnesota? We are going to be there August 25 early in the AM and have the day to ourselves. Any sugestions / members from the area?

MaryB
08-15-2014, 02:52 AM
With just a day not a lot... mall of America, Como Zoo, Minnesota Zoo, any number of the lakes, walk the skyways if downtown and people watch, tons of good food places. Not knowing what you would like to see/do makes it hard to make a suggestion. Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley is really nice in summer. Outdoor animal exhibits, tunnels and dark areas for night animals like bats, aquarium area with local fish and with areas with ocean fish/animals...

starmac
08-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Always thought it looked the best in the rear view mirror. lol
Been through it a number of times, but never spent any time there at all, so no clue what it has to offer.

GhostHawk
08-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Well if you come through Fargo ND on the way stop and say hi!

pmer
08-15-2014, 08:12 AM
If you have wheels, gun shops - Frontiersman, Gun Stop (great for reloading and some casting eq), Wolfs Den, Al's Gun Shop (old Colt's and lever actions), Gander Mountain in Rogers with a Near by Car museum.

Food - Famous Daves in Calhoun Square and Coseta's (spelling?) has great italian food. Take a drive on Summit ave. in St Paul it has some nice looking homes and the Governors residence.

Stay out of North minneapolis and to a lesser extent Lake street from Calhoun Square going East.

Looks like the Minnesota State Fair will be going and there is the Valley Fair amusement park too.

Garyshome
08-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Great place to fish!

DougGuy
08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
LOL@Starmac... The State Fair would be a great place to visit, Mall Of America needs about 2-3 days to fully appreciate it, the place is HUGE! Famous Dave's for BBQ would be worth a visit, and construction, yes construction, since they only have two seasons there, winter and construction..

MtGun44
08-15-2014, 11:42 PM
A coworker and I once had about half a day to kill in Minneapolis, so we looked around. Finally,
we rented a canoe on one of the lakes in the city and paddled all over the place, across several
larger lakes, out through some canals or rivers behind nice homes, just had a nice time.

Bill

3leggedturtle
08-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Hop on a bus a ride it around till it comes back to where you boarded it. Great way to people watch and see the sights. If you can get to Duluth or Superior. Google Wisconsin Point, worlds largest freshwater sandbar. About 6 miles of "primitive beach to walk and/or have a fire at night.

pmer
08-16-2014, 09:29 AM
I can see Starmac's point, working from a big truck it would be hard to have time and drive it here & there to see the sites.
A while back I had a job that required annual training and they would send us from the twin cities to Canton, OH and we had a great time in the off moments seeing the sites. Gun shows to water parks, seeing the Amish country and going to the party district in Cleveland. I think that area was called The Flats.
One time I was sent to a school in California to learn repair of an older style ATM and the off time was neat there too. It was just in land from Oakland and I went to the vineyard country and had a look at where Wente wine is produced.

MaryB
08-17-2014, 01:28 AM
I guess living in MN none of this sounds unusual or particularly fun anymore. Walking Mall of America takes good shoes and more walking than my spine can take anymore. Same for walking the Minnesota Zoo. So many good places to eat in Minneapolis but for BBQ skip Famous Daves(yechhh) and try one of these http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2013/07/02/a-handy-guide-to-the-twin-cities-best-bbq.php I have been here 5 times and will go back again http://pastorhamilton-bbq.com/ and the profits go to a youth college fund.

blaser.306
08-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I am thinking that we will more than likely just head over to the mall and have a good people watch / looking around day? Unfortunately, as far as looking for any gun shops. The fact that we are flying in prety much take care of anything that could be purchased there. So I think my reloading related purchases will consist of a lb or two of JPW ( we can't get it here ? and I want to try some bens red ) and some Lemishine ( nope ! Can't get it either ? ) as I plan on getting a Stainless tumbler set up this winter.

badge176
08-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Cossetas is in St. Paul on 7th st. close to the Excel Center- excellent Italian

Best BBQ in the metro? Q Fanatic in Champlin (NW corner of cities)

Science Museum in St. Paul (Near Cossetas!)

IChibon Sushi buffet/ Habachi (DT Mpls- all you can eat for around $30)

U Of MN Aboretum- out Hwy 5 in Chanhassen

MN Renissaince Festival (if that's your sort of thing- weekends)

Vina Vietnamese restuarant in either Richfield or St. Paul (Highland area) for Spring rolls, egg rolls and Pho soup

Fat Lorenzo's Pizza- on Cedar Ave just North of Hwy 62 (close to the airport)

and the list could go on...

badge176
08-17-2014, 08:21 AM
PM sent

MaryB
08-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Mall has lots to see and do that is not shopping. Plenty of good food too.

lefty o
08-18-2014, 11:17 AM
i wouldnt waste my time with the mall.

waksupi
08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
If you are into muzzle loading, Track of the Wolf is kinda in a suburb.

wrench
08-18-2014, 06:47 PM
I live here, blaser, let me know what you guys like, and I can point you around. If I only had that day...it would be hard to miss a day at the MN state fair. Great people watching, more food on a stick than you can eat.
http://www.mnstatefair.org/

MaryB
08-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Minnesota State Fair, if they can deep fry it on a stick they do it! Bring your Lipitor and munch away!

pmer
08-19-2014, 07:35 AM
If you are into muzzle loading, Track of the Wolf is kinda in a suburb.

Track of the Wolf store front hours are 11:00 to 5:00 week days. Prior to 11:00 they are doing mail order. I hate to say it but the MOA wouldn't be my first choice either. That might only be because I've been there already though.

waksupi
08-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Whether at home or away, a mall is the absolute last thing I would care to see.

MaryB
08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Mall of America is worth one visit, make it a weekend. It is more than just a bunch of stores. It has entertainment, many different places to eat that are not typical mall food, carnival type rides, Minnesota Aquarium, Lego World, a flight simulation center that uses the same gear as the military, and many more...

blaser.306
08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
As was discussed before, we only have a short time to "browse" so Cabelas is a no go ( unless they send a search party ) The mall there is just a overgrown version of the West Edmonton Mall in Alberta. Owned by the same Co. from what I understand. Going to do a little people watching , a little snacking and perhaps a little spending! Unfortunately Homeland security has all but neutered anyone from outside of the US from buying just about anything firearm related, then the fact I am flying in doesn't help matters either. So window shopping it is (SAD ) !!!

ohland
08-20-2014, 10:26 AM
DHS must have thought the movie "Canadian Bacon" was a documentary. Or the website "Canadian World Domination" was a front for francophiles...

http://www.standingonguard.com/index2.html

blaser.306
08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
We came, saw, and made it home alive to tell the tale!!! Had a GREAT meal at a downtown steakhouse, met lots of real nice folks, had excelent service everywhere we went. All in all I would say a sucsessfull trip to the US! I will be back. With a special thanks to a member here ( you know who you are ) for meeting me , and making me feel like We were old friends that had just met. It has been said before, The group of guy's and Gal's here are good eggs. Thanks for the hospitality in the US .

MaryB
08-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Minnesota Nice is what you ran into. People here are generally nice to everyone(at least out of the ghettos in MPLS).