PDA

View Full Version : How lucky I am.

Teddo
08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I spent the last few days together with my dad doing what we have done all our lives, shooting, hunting and exploring the desert of north eastern California together. Nothing special happened, antique single shot rifles were shot, a few varmints died, good conversions were had, most of the worlds problems were discussed, you know just the usual. Pop is 87+ years old and I can't express how much I enjoy our time together. It sucks that he is on the wrong side of the hour glass and if this reaches anyone who has a aging relative do what you do for fun and closeness because time is very short and soon we will have only our minds and memories to take us on our special trips....Just a few thoughts from yesterday......Teddo

schutzen
08-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Enjoy your time together, they will be some of the best memories of your life. My Dad, My Uncle, and my Father-In-Law are all gone now. They were my hunting, fishing, and shooting mentors. They were all three in the US Army Air Corps and all had definite thoughts on marksmanship. They taught me a lot and I miss each of them.

MaryB
08-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Enjoy your time, last year my dad died in a car accident in August. We had gone on a prairie dog hunt in July so got to spend time with him right before. Autopsy said his heart was very enlarged and basically quit then his SUV crossed the center line and hit head on with a semi. He was dead before the crash so no lingering pain anyway.

bushboy
08-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Teddo, I lost my FIL in Feb of this year. He has been my dad for the last 25 years as I never knew my real dad. We had a lot of really great times while he was here but I miss him dearly and think about him all the time - mostly wishing he was still here so we could share more great memories. He's gone to a much better place so in a way I'm just being selfish but all I can say is enjoy the times like you have described and hold them close to your heart.