PDA

View Full Version : how to books on pp boolits

rowdyripley
01-26-2008, 09:19 PM
hey gents
a few of you have mentioned books on this subject and I cant find them through my usual methods any recomendations?

EDK
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Go to buffalo arms or shiloh sharps web sites. Probably Dixie Gun Works also.

LOADING & SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNERS GUIDE by Randolph Wright, profusely illustrated and very good text.

If there is a better book out there, someone tell me and I'll buy a copy...or two!

Paul Matthews' book THE PAPER JACKET is out of print and the scalpers have no mercy. I got mine years ago for $15 in a set of books and it goes for around $60...if you can find it! Try Wolfe Publishing...if nothing else, another call might make them think about re-printing!

:cbpour: :redneck:

dromia
01-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Got to agree Wrights is a first class how to.

I like Mathews books for his knowledge and enthusiasm but it can be a bit all over the place.

Mathews is the one that got me making effective paper patched bullets, but then that was all there was.

However for an in print good instruction book along with enthusiasm and knowledge then you won't go wrong with Wrights. :-D

rowdyripley
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
buffalo arms had wrights book with shipping and handling it came out to about thirty dollars or so. thanks for the info gents. my brother and I have been thinking about paper patching for a while but just havent taken the plunge yet. we just didn't know enough about it to start maybe this will get us started right.

dromia
01-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I was going to link you to Brent Danielson's excellent paper patching website but it appears to be gone. :(

Google however has it cached here:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:eX_dM_H9xyIJ:www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html+Brent+Danielson&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a (http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:eX_dM_H9xyIJ:www.iastate.edu/%7Ecodi/PPB/PPB.html+Brent+Danielson&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a)

This is a first rate how to article and is free, I'd save it before it goes.

freedom475
01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Another Great book that has a chapter on paper patching is

"Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" by Mike Venturino.

This book is just full of info on the sharps and rolling block, and quite a few good stories and history.

uscra112
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
The Paper Jacket, by Paul Matthews. Sadly, apparently out of print. Do a web search ( I refuse to say g__gle ) for it. Online used booksellers may turn one up for you. Or eBay. I bought mine at a gun show some years ago. Invaluable.

Nrut
02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Go to buffalo arms or shiloh sharps web sites. Probably Dixie Gun Works also.

LOADING & SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNERS GUIDE by Randolph Wright, profusely illustrated and very good text.

If there is a better book out there, someone tell me and I'll buy a copy...or two!

Paul Matthews' book THE PAPER JACKET is out of print and the scalpers have no mercy. I got mine years ago for $15 in a set of books and it goes for around $60...if you can find it! Try Wolfe Publishing...if nothing else, another call might make them think about re-printing!

EDK...Is Wrights book on PP mostly deal with black powder or smokless?

Norm
02-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey guys, go to the library.
I did a search for the Mathews book, and it is avilable by interlibrary loan. All you have to do is request it.
When I get it, I plan to make a copy for myself. Should be able to get a Kinko's copy for about $20 or so.

Blackhawk Convertable
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Just a follow up on Brent Danielson. I sent him an e-mail for his web page/site info on PPB's. Any info I get, I'll repost here or at least a link to it.

EDK
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Wright's book is strictly loading black powder. He uses 2 40/65s and a 45/70 for demo rifles...and in the last part gives his ammo to an experienced shooter using the other guy's gun! There's some good explanations that can be applied to grease groove bullets and black powder loading.

OT I had heard about the book and bought one at Shiloh Sharps before I went to Quigley last summer. I talked to a couple of people about it and when the Shiloh people arrived, they were selling like mad. I called Big Timber on the cell phone and suggested they bring a bunch! I'd like to catch up with the author and have my 2 copies autographed...it's that good!

dromia
02-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks Blackhawk.

Its too good to loose.

Maven
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
You may want to telephone Dixie Gun Works (1-800-238-6785) because they advertised Paul Matthews' book on paper patching in stock in the 2007 edition (#156) of their catalog. Or you can go to their website:

www.dixiegunworks.com

rowdyripley
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I've fallen a little behind on my posts I'm gonna try to run down your recomendations thanks gents.

gregg877
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Just bought a copy of Paul Matthews "The Paper Jacket" from a guy over at the BPCR.net forum, can't tell ya what I paid for it because thats between me and him, he did indicate that he had a a couple of copies. Pretty sure if you post a WTB thread for it he'd answer you and work something out. Goes by Gary M.

Gregg

Burrhead51
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's a link with some information on the subject.
http://members.aol.com/mudsmeller/paperpatch_bullets.html