PDA

View Full Version : USPS - Cover Your Butt

Bonz
08-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Appears that I am experiencing my first lost USPS package. Spent over an hour today at the local USPS. Without getting into major detail on the lost Medium Flat Rate box, the best guess is that the label was damaged enough that the barcode, return address and ship to address were no longer readable. When I check the tracking information on the USPS website, the package never shows received by them.

The USPS supervisor told me that when a label is damaged enough that the barcode, return address and ship to address were no longer readable, the package goes to a location called "Dead Letter"

Once a package moves to the "Dead Letter" location, the package is opened to see if the barcode, return address or ship to address are noted inside the package. If they are not, the package is destroyed by USPS

Definitely learned an expensive lesson to the tune of $200 In the future, every box that I ship via USPS will have a copy of the shipping label packed inside the box. Please learn from my mistake so this doesn't happen to you.

snuffy
08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
You DID cover the address label with clear packaging tape,,,--- didn't you? I completely cover the label that I print on heavy stock paper with a layer of whatever kind of clear packaging tape I'm using. That way the ham handed package jockeys can't hook the paper, ripping it off.

Good idea to put a copy of the label inside the box. A simple address might work, but a scanned copy of the label would prove that you paid for the shipping.

silverado
08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks for posting, good to know

DeanWinchester
08-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I just felt the flames of this one myself. Thank God the cast boolits member was super patient and understanding. All worked out but I have a new found hatred for the post office. I also have a new tape gun and several rolls of strong packing tape as well as the understanding that EVERYTHING needs insurance.

Bonz
08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
You DID cover the address label with clear packaging tape,,,--- didn't you? I completely cover the label that I print on heavy stock paper with a layer of whatever kind of clear packaging tape I'm using. That way the ham handed package jockeys can't hook the paper, ripping it off.

Good idea to put a copy of the label inside the box. A simple address might work, but a scanned copy of the label would prove that you paid for the shipping.

Nope, did not cover the shipping label in tape. One of the mail carriers complained about that earlier so I stopped. Guess the reflection causes their scanner grief. I was told to never cover the barcode especially.

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I just mailed off three packages to buyers from this site. All three boxes had a 3x5 card inside with the "To" and "From" addresses as well as what was being shipped. This is what is needed when the label gets destroyed. As someone above stated, always cover the shipping address info with clear shipping tape too.

Smoke4320
08-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Always and I mean always cover every label completely with heavy clear vinyl tape .. I could care less what the counter person says .. They will not and did not cover that lost package of yours..
I do this with all packages USPS, Fed Ex and UPS ..
a label copy inside is also a good Idea

learned the hard way as well ..

I sent a German MG42 Tripod via Fed Ex with $600.00 insurance..
Fed Ex destroyed the box.. Even posted a note on the tracking that they had to repackaged the tripod..
when it arrived at last terminal customer went there to pickup
it was missing the leg lever .. he immediately called me and emailed pics ..
Fed ex turned down the damaged shipment claim ..
guess for what reason .. They could not inspect the original box .. remember the one they reboxed because they destroyed it .. Thieves

kungfustyle
08-11-2014, 05:13 PM
It has been a month and still waiting on an appeal. They said they delivered my package, but it wasn't to me. I will start putting shipping info on the inside as well. Thanks.

ph4570
08-11-2014, 05:18 PM
We ship many packages USPS and always cover the label with tape except for the bar code area. An invoice is included in the package with from/to info. They still manage to lose a few.

RobS
08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Yep.........I make sure that the clear packaging tape is over the bar code and don't over lap so the scanners work. I also tape the entire label on and ensure the box is taped very well (sometimes the entire box). Insurance helps and I've only had to use it once but I'm glad I did. Despite taking every precaution it's entirely possible to be given a trip though.

Garyshome
08-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Nothing like a well organized company!

DeanWinchester
08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Nothing like a well organized company!

Yeah, what's that got to do with the US Post Office?

Lol!!!

Charley
08-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Don't get me started. Ship a package of loading blocks to a customer, he receives an EMPTY package, emailed me a picture of it, with a stamp from USPS on it saying it was delivered empty. Not that big of loss, just a PITA. Customer was patient. Wife shipped an embroidery machine to a buyer in Florida. $500 insurance of it. Delivered looking like it was dropped from a three story building. Buyer wouldn't co-operate and let USPS examine the package, just shipped it back. USPS response? TSMF. Repair clinic pulled it apart, looked at the damage, and said, "Jeez, this would have had to pull about 5 Gs to displace this belt and driver."
Only ship USPS when it doesn't matter, or is cheap to replace. No wonder they are 2 billion in the red now.
Typical case here, want to bet she won't be fired, just "disciplined and retrained"?
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird/2014/08/08/mail-carrier-ohio-mail-dumped/13764101/

M-Tecs
08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Three claims in the last two years. USPS hasn't paid a dime. Used toilet paper is more useful than USPS insurance.

texassako
08-11-2014, 09:46 PM
I had a press show up recently that I have taken a tip from. Every separate piece inside the box had my address taped to it. I think it is a good idea with how USPS is operating these days.

MaryB
08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I got a letter from the local post master about that. Ignored them. I tape it over to keep it intact and water proof

Nope, did not cover the shipping label in tape. One of the mail carriers complained about that earlier so I stopped. Guess the reflection causes their scanner grief. I was told to never cover the barcode especially.

MaryB
08-11-2014, 10:04 PM
It seems to vary with where you live, here USPS is most reliable followed by fedex then united parcel smashers

Don't get me started. Ship a package of loading blocks to a customer, he receives an EMPTY package, emailed me a picture of it, with a stamp from USPS on it saying it was delivered empty. Not that big of loss, just a PITA. Customer was patient. Wife shipped an embroidery machine to a buyer in Florida. $500 insurance of it. Delivered looking like it was dropped from a three story building. Buyer wouldn't co-operate and let USPS examine the package, just shipped it back. USPS response? TSMF. Repair clinic pulled it apart, looked at the damage, and said, "Jeez, this would have had to pull about 5 Gs to displace this belt and driver."
Only ship USPS when it doesn't matter, or is cheap to replace. No wonder they are 2 billion in the red now.
Typical case here, want to bet she won't be fired, just "disciplined and retrained"?
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird/2014/08/08/mail-carrier-ohio-mail-dumped/13764101/

osteodoc08
08-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

mjwcaster
08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
I always make sure that there is a packing slip with both ship to and return address on it.
I will start printing out a second copy of the shipping label and putting that in the box also.

And I tape over the complete shipping label, the counter personnel have no issue if it is one layer of tape only, have had comments when I put more than one layer on it and the scanner would not read it.

smokeywolf
08-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Never had a problem with taping over the bar code.
Although I think there are usually fewer problems with Fed Ex, I never trust any of them to honor their insurance policies. They seem to excel in inventing some cock-eyed excuse why they shouldn't have to pay on a claim and you have virtually no recourse.

smokeywolf

bearcove
08-11-2014, 10:33 PM
NEVER COVER THE LABEL WITH TAPE!!!!!

Then tell them you want $500 insurance and they will tell you to coat the whole box in tape. GOOD tape is cheap, insurance is worthless! They get paid to deliver, you benefit from a durable package

Bonz
08-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Re: Can You Sue the US Post Office in Small Claims
No, you cannot sue the USPS in small claims. The Post Office, being an agency of the Federal government, cannot be sued at the state level.

You would first need to serve the USPS a Federal Claim for Damages (http://contacts.gsa.gov/webforms.nsf/0/635588D718E338F385256B1B007FBE64/$file/SF95.pdf) (you have two years to do so). If the claim is denied, you would then need to file suit in Federal court.

It's pricey and headachey and cannot be done properly without counsel versed in arguing at the Federal level.

chuckbuster
08-22-2014, 05:50 AM
"3M" makes a tape just for use over labels to be scanned. Not sure what is special about it other than it is transparent pink. I sell some to a couple of my customers. You might find it at an Office Supply. I can get the MFG Product number if anyone wants it. PM me then I will post here.
Kevin

OBIII
08-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I used to include the shipping info inside the box, but had neglected it recently. Won't forget again.

OB

MUSTANG
08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
1. USPS has ceased to be a "Service Organization".

2. Congress has migrated it to a "Quasi Government - Self Funded Entity"; while legislating that they abide by Social Engineering dictates which is where their deficit budget expenditures are going (not the actual operations and delivery costs).

3. In all probability the damage is occurring in regions of the US where personal values and responsibility have deteriorated (Spell this Metro Areas). Every small community Postal Service entity I have encountered has been generally very sociable, customer friendly, and committed to customer service.

4. I have had two occasions where the Flat Rate box was damaged and contents damaged/missing. Both time USPS paid off, but each was only insured at the USPS provided $50.00 level. Payment seems to be based on providing sufficient hard copy/picture/pdf samples of cost for same/similar items from a "Recognizable Vendor" to justify the claim.

5. The USPS "Dead Letter Office" - now called the "Mail Recovery Centers" auction off undeliverable items in "Lots" or sometimes as individual items. Wonder how much all of the "Lost Lead" identified by users on this site sells for at the USPS auctions for?

baogongmeo
08-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I will never again pay extra for the USPS insurance...they have made collecting a claim a real PITA with all of the hurdles they have in place.
I will only ship items that are light for their size and non-fragile through the USPS at this time...it seems to me that flat-rate boxes that are heavy get extra special handling.
On the other hand,with some vendors of bullets you can pay a few dollars with your order and they will insure that you will receive your order with no hassle.I feel that is money well spent.

Three claims in the last two years. USPS hasn't paid a dime. Used toilet paper is more useful than USPS insurance.

starnbar
08-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Yeah and another scam is the priority mail 2-day there is no such animal but you pay for it I had a package sit at the mail center for 4 days before it was moved out for delivery it took 6 days for the package to get there. But I paid over 12.00 dollars for that too.

HangFireW8
08-24-2014, 08:50 AM
You DID cover the address label with clear packaging tape,,,--- didn't you?

My local PO will not accept a package like that. The label must be exposed paper for two reasons, to accept ink stamps and to scan easily. Clear tape reflects too much for easy scanning. You can tape it down around the edges.

snuffy
08-24-2014, 11:33 AM
My local PO will not accept a package like that. The label must be exposed paper for two reasons, to accept ink stamps and to scan easily. Clear tape reflects too much for easy scanning. You can tape it down around the edges.

Well then apparently I've gotten away with something that's forbidden. I've sent maybe 20 flat rate packages in the last 4 years, all have had the labels taped over.

The post office I use is just down the road ½ mile, it's small, the local post office for the cooko's nest, (state insane asylum). The gal that runs it just takes the package, then grunts because it usually is full of lead! She's just happy I did all the work printing the label, so she doesn't have to.

I can remember way back in the steam train days, the choo-choo passenger train going down the tracks across the road from the PO. A mail bag was hung on the west side of the tracks close to where the 5 o'clock train would go by. That was the mail for the day heading for Oshkosh that day. Us kids would cross the tracks to watch them snag that bag as the train went by. If they missed, they would have to stop, back up to get it. The train station was just 5 miles down the tracks, with the PO a block behind it.

9w1911
08-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Only problem I have is that some packages take no time at all, yet others take weeks, and when its my rent check it takes weeks LOL

shooterbob
09-07-2014, 12:03 AM
I had a box I shipped to Ca and it got to san Jose and disappeared off of tracking. It weighed 15 lbs and someone thought it must have been good stuff. It was full of marbles lol. After the claim was filed I got a letter from the post office stating they had found a label cut out of a box with my name on it and wanted to know if I wanted to have it resolved. I never bothered to respond since the claim was done and I knew that an employee had to have stolen it.

shooterbob
09-07-2014, 02:49 AM
FedEx now has a flat rate called One Rate just an fyi. I've had three claims and two were approved..The third was damaged by the recipient on purpose to try and collect insurance. Problem was he damaged the inside contents without damaging the outside packaging. He had tried to claim it on EBay as well and get money from me as well as insurance...caught him there also. By the way, the sender and the recipient can both file a claim with usps. And the sender can elect to receive the funds himself. So if you receive and item back, start the claim yourself.