PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if you're getting leading in a rifle?

dmftoy1
01-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I've never had ANY problems telling if I'm getting it in a pistol, but I've got a Mosin M44 that I've been playing with for the first time and there are so many tool marks in the grooves that I don't know how I could see it if it was there?

I shot 15 rounds today (17-19 grains of 2400 under a 314299 @ 312 - pure WW) and it shot nicely. I came home and ran patches, brush and some more patches and thought I saw some really really really small flecks of lead on the patches but nothing I obvious. I decided to put some chore boy on the patch and run it through and this time I got one spec of lead that was maybe 1/8th inch, and one that was maybe 1/32. A subsequent patch with same setup got nothing.

So . ..does this mean that I'm getting "leading" or would these be considered nothing to worry about? (new to cast bullets in a rifle)

The other thing that I was a bit puzzled with was that I had to set the rear sight to 600meters at 50 yards to get close to the bullseye .. .I thought that I'd be alot closer to that with this load. ( http://www.fahringer.net/targets/m44-20080126.jpg )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Dave

racepres
01-26-2008, 04:14 PM
To see how much lead I am getting, I generally place a plain white piece of paper at the muzzle [back of bbl on revolvers] and push a properly sized bronze bristle brush thru [dry]. If I dont see more than what you seem to be describing... I don't get very concerned! Been My experience that when you get "excessive" leading... there will be no doubt.. Can't help w/ yer sights... never even handled a 44.. MV

mroliver77
01-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Sounds like you're doing fine, Dave. Just remember to run a patch with something slippery down the barrel followed by one dry patch before shooting from a clean dry barrel. I rarely clean my cast guns after shooting unless accuracy goes south or I am storing for awhile.
I would think your POA would be closer but if it works go with it.

NVcurmudgeon
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I've never had ANY problems telling if I'm getting it in a pistol, but I've got a Mosin M44 that I've been playing with for the first time and there are so many tool marks in the grooves that I don't know how I could see it if it was there?

I shot 15 rounds today (17-19 grains of 2400 under a 314299 @ 312 - pure WW) and it shot nicely. I came home and ran patches, brush and some more patches and thought I saw some really really really small flecks of lead on the patches but nothing I obvious. I decided to put some chore boy on the patch and run it through and this time I got one spec of lead that was maybe 1/8th inch, and one that was maybe 1/32. A subsequent patch with same setup got nothing.

So . ..does this mean that I'm getting "leading" or would these be considered nothing to worry about? (new to cast bullets in a rifle)

The other thing that I was a bit puzzled with was that I had to set the rear sight to 600meters at 50 yards to get close to the bullseye .. .I thought that I'd be alot closer to that with this load. ( http://www.fahringer.net/targets/m44-20080126.jpg )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Dave

The amount of leading you report is what I call no leading. 314299 is my favorite boolit in several milsurps. 600 yards/meters is a setting that will get most of them close to center at 50 to 100 yds. using a 6:00 hold on an 8" bull.

lovedogs
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you're doin' okay. I've seen some that the machining marks would lead you to believe they'd lead badly but the lead bullets, properly alloyed, sized, and lubed were running right over the marks with little or no leading. My opinion is that if the edges of those marks have been smoothed they don't grab any lead. Old military barrels seem to be this way. They've been cleaned and polished to the point that for a proper lead bullet they are essentially smoothed.

Buckshot
01-28-2008, 02:11 AM
................A few flecks of lead coming out on a patch after some shooting is no problem. I have a 1893 Marlin in 38-55 and regardless if it's one shot or you've fired 50 rounds of cast lead you get some 'sparklies' on a patch. That's not really leading. Leading is when your accuracy begins to suffer and it gets worse the longer you shoot.

Worst case of leading I've ever seen was when I tried Remington Vipers in my Ruger MkII. They had that barrel bushed down to 14 cal in no time. I had to literally thump the cleaning rod handle with the palm of my hand to get it to go through the barrel! Since the pistol has digested everything else ever fed through it, it just had to have been the ammo.

.............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
I've never had ANY problems telling if I'm getting it in a pistol, but I've got a Mosin M44 that I've been playing with for the first time and there are so many tool marks in the grooves that I don't know how I could see it if it was there? Dave

An individuals description of what actual leading is will determine what you read. But if you are concerned, just brush between every few shots and just shoot it. Lead will eventually clean those marks up. Especially if you are using higher antimony mixes with no tin and lubes with less lubricant.

But if the lead ain't building up, or affecting accuracy, don't worry about it. It will shoot out as the lead fire laps your bore and then as Shultz always said, "You won't see nathing, NATHING!

dmftoy1
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've loaded up another 30 rounds to play with and once the weather turns for a day I'll get out and see how that goes.

Have a good one,
Dave