PDA

View Full Version : 336 Info/Help

R.M.
01-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Back in the 80's I came across a 336C in 30-30 in my local shop. Just like my dads, who bought his new in 53. They told me that this one was made in 51.
Now I've been reading a bit on here about how the older ones had "Ballard" rifling, and possibly that mine does. So, I just slugged mine to satisfy my curiosity.
What I found was a slug of .309/.310, with 4 grooves. The bore was tighter at the muzzle than breech, as if it was choked a bit.
The serial # is H270** The last digit was poorly stamped, or so it looks.
Anyway, can anybody educate me some more on what I have?

Scrounger
01-26-2008, 02:58 PM
In 1948, which I believe the 336 model went into production, the letter prefix tells the year of production. "H" is correct for 1951. Here is a link that explains their serial number/date code system:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

9.3X62AL
01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
You have a GREAT cast boolit rifle, at minimum. And a Marlin example that not only was made close to the timeline of your Dad's rifle, but during the heyday of American gunmaking quality. After WWII--and before the beancounters conquered the craftsmen in the early 1960's--most domestic gunmakers produced their best work, in my view. Modern metallurgy coupled with attention to detail and quality combined to create some excellent firearms.

R.M.
01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, in that day, they knew how to make guns, and make them last.
So I take it that it does have the Ballard rifling?
I've been casting my own and shooting cast in pistols for a good many years, but none in rifle "Yet". I might just have to look into this a bit further.

Thanks Again Guys :drinks:
R.M.

JSH
01-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a ballard rifled 336. I did a start load of 25.0 of AA2520 and a 150 grain boolit. The lowest seeting on the iron sight, factory, was POA at 50. This load follows it all the way to 200M. Mine has a very nice trigger too.
Jeff

VTDW
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
You have a fine rifle capable of shooting sub MOA for sure. I love the older models and have divested myself of the newer Marlins other than my .308 MX. It is a keeper. A great site for Marlin leverguns is www.marlinowners.com

Dave

KCSO
01-26-2008, 07:06 PM
If it is 4 groove it is cut rifling and will shoot cast with no problems, but so will micro groove if you pay attention to details. I heard the rumors about micro groove when i bought a 95 Marlin in 1974 and being bull headed i went ahead and shot cast, lo and behold, with proper bullet fit and 1/2 ww 1/2 lino the gun shot great. I've shot every Marlin since with cast and unless the bore was bad they could all be made to shoot.