PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army at a pawn shop

tazman
08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
I ran across a Ruger old army at a pawn shop today. The price was right so I asked for a closer look.
The cylinder was rusted or powder caked on the outside. Not sure which. The outside of the barrel and receiver were in good shape. The hammer and trigger were rusted on the sides. I didn't get a look down the barrel because I worked the action a couple of times and the action locked up solid.

I pulled the hammer back to full cock and pulled the trigger with my thumb on the hammer so it wouldn't drop. As I let the hammer down the trigger froze, the hammer froze part way down, and the cylinder was locked up solid. No amount of jiggling or tugging would move any part of it in any direction.
Anyone know what might cause this?
Is it worth following up on?
Price was $250

koger
08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Probably needs a good cleaning inside and out!

rking22
08-09-2014, 08:23 PM
In Tennessee dollars thats too much for that kinda condition. I would like to "disect it" and see just how bad the pitting is. Unless you really like risky projects or you know them well enough to take it apart and clean it up before purchase ,I would walk away.

On second thought, can you get the cyl out? My concern is pitting in the barrel and cyl. I have come to understand (if memory serves) that a BH barrel fits. BUt the Cyl is a concern. YOu could "clean up " the internals and put a conversion cyl on it..... or walk away and look for a clean one.

Nobade
08-09-2014, 11:03 PM
And there's that outfit that makes replacement cylinders for $150 - or have Clements make a 50 cal out of it. Lots of possibilities, but still a lot of money to take a gamble and find out what you've got.

-Nobade

winelover
08-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I ran across a Ruger old army at a pawn shop today. The price was right so I asked for a closer look.
The cylinder was rusted or powder caked on the outside. Not sure which. The outside of the barrel and receiver were in good shape. The hammer and trigger were rusted on the sides. I didn't get a look down the barrel because I worked the action a couple of times and the action locked up solid.

I pulled the hammer back to full cock and pulled the trigger with my thumb on the hammer so it wouldn't drop. As I let the hammer down the trigger froze, the hammer froze part way down, and the cylinder was locked up solid. No amount of jiggling or tugging would move any part of it in any direction.
Anyone know what might cause this?
Is it worth following up on?
Price was $250

My ROA has done this since I bought it new in the 80's. I sent Ruger a letter, inquiring about this nuisance, and they ignored my request! You have to remove the cylinder pin, cylinder then reassemble to get it to unbind!! Not what I consider safe when it happens when it's fully loaded!!!

Winelover

dondiego
08-10-2014, 09:21 AM
I would take it! It's a Ruger. It can be repaired. You can get some clean ones at Cabela's Gun Library right now in Dundee MI for $750.

daniel lawecki
08-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Buy it offer less then priced they'll take less. the possibility are endless with what you can do here.

greenmntranger
08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Hell, even if all you can do is strip it down for parts, its worth more than 250.00...Ruger does not supply parts for the OA any more

Fly
08-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Heck show them the problems & offer $200.If they won,t take it, why gamble?
Kinda like buying a car with low oil pressure.
I hate pawn shops some times, they have no more than $100
in that gun in that condition
Fly

blackbike
08-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Might just be a cap fell off in there.
Get a better look at it (shaking your head no the whole time) and make them a lower offer.
Think parts if it is a worse case deal.
I just got 1 off S&S, and they are fun to shoot.
bb

bedbugbilly
08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I've seen ROA sell lately for around $500 - $600 in good to excellent condition. I'd offer $200 and se fi they'd take it. It probably needs a good cleaning as already mentioned. However, if the outside appearances of it are any indication of what the inside looks like, it will probably clean up alright for a shooter. Before that though, I'd be looking at the bore and seeing what shape that was in. It has always amazed me how some folks will shoot BP and then do such a sloppy job of cleanup. It's not that hard. But then, if they treat their guns that way, they probably do everything else they own. Worse case scenario is you can probably "part" it out.

Last year, I bought an old Richland Arms Remington NMA from a guy for $75.00 as I needed the loading lever to replace one that was missing on the Richland Arms NMA I had that belonged to a friend who passed - it has great sentimental value. The rest of the pistol, I didn't need. That pistol was a "kit gun" and the brass frame was still "as cast". I parted it out on eBay - sold the barrel separate, the cylinder separate, the inside parts separate and the frame and rough wood grip separate. The total on all the parts was a little over $200. I couldn't believe it - at the time, you could have bought a new brass frame Remington NMA for that.

Good luck and hopefully it will all work out and you'll end up with a decent shooter!

tazman
08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the ideas gentlemen. I was looking at it because it was inexpensive, not from any kind of need. After reading your responses, I believe I will just walk away from this one.
Again, thank you for the input.

Geezer in NH
08-14-2014, 08:50 PM
No more than $125 IMHO they have way less involved in it. Condition is JUNK for more money let them keep it

nekshot
08-16-2014, 10:44 AM
been following this thread and if it was me, I would see if it stays there a little longer then go and simply say this is a **** shoot but I'll give you 75 bucks right now and let you get on with stuff that works and then never look back.

mazo kid
08-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I bought a used ROA several years ago that would lock up like that quite often. I took it apart and found the coil spring that works the hand was rusty and sticky in operation. After cleaning all the internals and a good lube job, the revolver has been flawless ever since. I would make an offer on the gun. It is mechanical and can be repaired, many times a good cleaning and lube is all it takes.

John Taylor
08-18-2014, 08:56 PM
I picked up a SS old army several years ago in un-fired condition. It has stag grips but no box. Was going to sell it for $350 but then saw a rusted blue model at Cabelas for $600 and thought my price was a bit low.

mazo kid
08-18-2014, 09:03 PM
I bought a used ROA several years ago that would lock up like that. Turns out the coil spring that works the hand was pretty rusted and did't move freely. I cleaned everything up, lubed the internals and has been good ever since. Make an offer on that gun, chances are that there is not much wrong with it and easily repaired.