PDA

View Full Version : " Old " paper back western books?

DHurtig
08-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I bought a box full of paperbacks at a yard sale this morning for $8. There are 106 books in there and almost all are paperback westerns from the 50's and 60's. There are 2 Mickey Spillaine books, one dated 64 and the other 66. Haven't done any research yet, but I'm hoping some of these have some value. Only 1 Zane Grey and 1 Louis L'Amour . Are there any authors I should be looking for? They all seem to be intact, but show some yellowing and seem to be kind of fragile. There are several that are 2 books in one. Is there a market out there for these things? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BruceB
08-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Keep an eye out for the two westerns written by Donald Hamilton.

He wrote the Matt Helm series (also good reading), and the two westerns are surely among the very best I've ever read... and that's a LOT of westerns.

One was called "Texas Fever", and I plead CRS on the other title.

Sounds like you got a very good buy, and a lot of entertainment for very low cost.

richhodg66
08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Odd that a collection that big would only have so few of L'Amour and Zane Grey. You're going to have an interesting time perusing through those.

BrassMagnet
08-09-2014, 05:55 PM

He wrote the Matt Helm series (also good reading), and the two westerns are surely among the very best I've ever read... and that's a LOT of westerns.

Sounds like you got a very good buy, and a lot of entertainment for very low cost.

The Two Shoot Gun

jonp
08-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Paperbacks generaly have no value other than the enjoyment you get from reading them. For the price you paid you got a lot of great reading for a small price.

MT Gianni
08-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Used paperback stores generally give you trade in of 25-50% sticker. Most hardbacks are re-bought for 10% or $2 max. Some used books have a great resale value but the best way to check them is amazon. I do not know of buyers paying more for certain paper bound editions than others, where hardbacks may be pricier especially for a 1st. Read what interests you, donate the rest to a Senior Center and take the tax donation.

James6406
08-10-2014, 08:32 AM
The best value is in reading them. I am an avid western fiction reader and Max Brand is one of my all time favorites. I agree with the other replies on value. I have literally hundreds of western paperbacks. Half Price books in our area pays an average of $0.10 per book.

MtGun44
08-10-2014, 01:08 PM
We have been selling books from my father's estate in an estate sale the last
couple of days for 10 cents each, hardback, paperback, whatever. Books are a hard sell
these days.
If you have any interests on specific types of books, let me know, but shipping will be
on your bill. Mostly science, engineering, aircraft, aircraft maintenance, some gardening
and animal husbandry/cat books. Hope I'm not too out of line with this comment here.

Bill

BrassMagnet
08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
couple of days for 10 cents each, hardback, paperback, whatever. Books are a hard sell
these days.
If you have any interests on specific types of books, let me know, but shipping will be
on your bill. Mostly science, engineering, aircraft, aircraft maintenance, some gardening
and animal husbandry/cat books. Hope I'm not too out of line with this comment here.

Bill

I'm interested!

dagger dog
08-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Larry Mc Murtrie, did the Lonesome Dove, and Elmore Leonard, did Hombre, both are excellent.

TheCelt
08-10-2014, 08:56 PM
these days.

Bill

Sounds like your Pa was an interesting man, I'd like to have talked to him as we share the same interests.

quasi
08-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Donald Hamilton was one of us, he wrote a few articles for GUN DIGEST.

reloaderman1
08-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Max Brand, is one to look for. He wrote in the 30's and 40's, but re-released in the 90's( I think ).
The guy can spin a yarn !

Down South
08-14-2014, 07:25 PM
At one time many years ago, I had every book that Louis L'Amour had ever written. This was well before his passing. Like an idiot, I gave the complete collection away.

BruceB
08-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Those hard-bound collections of louis L'Amour's books were advertised quite extensively years ago. Sometimes I wish I'd bitten the bullet and bought the collection.

For sure, I've read read most of them MANY times.

One of my favorite quotes from Mr. L'Amour's books:

"When a talkin' woman sets quiet, a man had best look to his hole card and keep a fast horse ready."