PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in south Fl. Want to teach a newbie how to cast

bobby65
08-09-2014, 02:37 PM
I just don't want to just watch I am very hands on so I will help as I learn.
I live in west BROWARD county
Thanks Bobby

Digital Dan
08-09-2014, 07:22 PM
I live in Citrus County, if you find yourself heading this way give a shout. I can probably teach you everything I know in about 12 seconds.

Wayne Smith
08-10-2014, 07:57 AM
And that will be the second or third most intense 12 seconds in your life! Unless you jump out of perfectly good airplanes or race autos!

Gtek
08-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I am up here in Brevard. My father only melted lead to make hammers of the tin can water pipe handle kind, he even purchased his smoke pole stuff. When I became infected with this (I guess I can say a while ago) there was little to no guidance for me. If I may offer a little advice from my point of view. Read/find the sticky's, there is almost if not a masters degree of education at Lead College there for you. This given to you for free by some wonderful people who many have blazed their own trail and are kind enough to give it here. A mentor would be a wonderful thing but I do not feel required with this support team in your pocket.
First thing I would do if you are getting into this is one must have the stuff. Understand the statement "I reload to save money" is a little white lie we tell ourselves and the Mrs. to feel better, we both know better. Find a good pot that you can control and have a thermometer hanging out of the top. A hot plate has become something I really like. A fan, stool, place to flop ingots or drop onto towel or in bucket. PROPER SAFETY ITEMS (glasses, gloves, long sleeves, covered toes) should always be the rule. Everybody's stuff acts the way their stuff acts, learn on your stuff. In my experience, every mold, alloy, day you do it is never the same. One must adapt during run, now after a while you know this mold likes/needs this or that and if a situation occurs you react from your reading here. But then you get too many molds and are older and you forget. That is why you should start a journal/notebook with each mold for historical recall, alloy, temp, day, etc.. Years later I found this place with it's cast of characters (some really talented and smart dudes) that have helped me fine tune "my way". If you truly want this it will happen, fire up the pot, get your fingers hot, and start dropping. Worst case should be dump them back in pot and go again. Look at the pit crew you have!

bobby65
08-11-2014, 12:53 AM
We'll thank you very much for all the information I will keep looking at the stickies
Bobby

BIGRED
08-11-2014, 01:39 PM
I am in Palm beach, 441 and Southern Blvd area.
I can give you a few hours of my time.
Send me a PM and we can try to find time to meet up.
Ron

JeffinNZ
08-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I could be tempted to come over if you spring for the air ticket. Gotta be better than the cold here. BRRRRR.

Finster101
08-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Well, first, I'm on the other coast and second, I feel like I barely know what I'm doing. Good luck to you and enjoy it. I sure do. It's a good thing that I don't have to be good at everything I like doing or I wouldn't be doing much!

bobby65
08-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Thank you Ron I will get a pm out tonight
Jeffin I may want to come over there it's to dam hot over here.
Fin thanks