PDA

View Full Version : When you buy New Casting Dies...

Jim_P
08-08-2014, 07:48 PM
OK, So I'm new to casting (not reloading). But just a curious question...

Here's the 'conditions'.
You are gainfully employed and make a good salary.
Retirement and Medical expenses are covered.
You don't have a significant other (wife for us politically uncorrect) to ask permission.
You tend to do things right the first time.

So here's the question: When you buy new dies, do you get the handles/top punch/all the goodies to go with it (sizing die, et al)? Or should I only have one or two sets of handles and swap them back and forth?

tazman
08-08-2014, 07:56 PM
To start with, until you are sure you will continue casting, swap the handles back and forth. It is not a big deal.
If you decide you will continue, you will almost certainly end up with handles for all your molds.
How much money do you want to throw at it all from the start?

BruceB
08-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I get the impression that when you say "dies", you actually mean "MOULDS".

Dies are one thing, and they are used both in the form of loading DIES, and also a different type used for sizing bullets...... bullet-sizing DIES, which are where you need the top punches you mentioned.

I have something around sixty moulds, and only maybe fifteen or twenty top punches, so a full set of top punches is not "really" necessary..... nice, but not necessary in my opinion (after fifty years in this hobby).

To cast the bullets, we use MOULDS (or "molds" for the less-enlightened ....smile).

It's nice to have handles for each mould, but most of us have many more moulds than we do sets of handles, due mostly to cost. It's the work of a minute or two to switch handles from mould to mould, IF the moulds are from the same manufacturer in many cases. It's a hodge-podge of handle sizes, and we have to pretty-much "play it by ear".

All LEE moulds come from the factory with handles, except their six-cavity jobs which require us to buy handles to fit.

country gent
08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Another consideration is cost of the handles I am starting to use the cabin tree locking handle on some of my molds, These are around $70.00 a set. Lyman and rcbsnot quite as expensive. Lees are fairly affordable to purchase. I dont mind switching out handles but dontlike to do it in the middle of a session either. I normally will cast 2-3 diffrent styles during a session. As I cast from single cavity molds for rifles its not a big deal to set up the molds fopr a days casting before hand.

Jim_P
08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I am in it for the long run.

Sorry for the misnomer of Dies rather than moulds. Yes, I mean moulds.

I am mainly (at this time - not to say it won't change) casting for 45/70. I have purchased a set of Lyman 457125 and 457677 moulds. I've invested about $1K so far when you include the furnace (RCBS Pro Melt), Sizer (Lyman 4500 w/heater) several 10's of pounds of Lyman #2 alloy, and etc., etc., etc..

I also own 7mm, 45 (pistol), 40 S&W (pistol), 9mm (pistol) and .50 Muzzle Loader. So all of those are on the table for the future.

Just wanting to know if ya'all purchase all the 'accessories' or swap among them. I can afford whatever. Just is it crazy to do so?

tazman
08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Having the extra handles is a convenience rather than a necessity.
I have handles for most but not all of my molds(I am one of the less enlightened:idea:). The ones I switch out are the Lee 6 cavity handles as they are easy to work with.

Green Frog
08-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Jim_P,

Answering the part of your question about handles will depend ultimately on how many moulds you have, how often you use each set, and how much storage space you have. Once you get to 35-40 moulds or more (a not-unlikely scenario since you list 6 different calibers already on your "to do" list) you may find that it is best to keep a set of dedicated handles on the 6-8 moulds you use the most often, then keep a few "floater sets" for the moulds that only get occasional use. That way they don't take over your whole house/shop. At one time I had close to ten sets of moulds for 32-40 and I now have 6 sets for my various 32 revolver bullets, and about 50 sets altogether, so you can see how the numbers can multiply almost exponentially. Of course as you buy some custom moulds, you may find that they require specific, fitted handles, so the question becomes moot. Starting out? I'd buy a set for each separate caliber I'm loading a lot, then see what needs seem most pressing... YMMV. ;)

Froggie

Wayne Smith
08-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I think I'd buy one set from each unique manufacturer of molds unless all of your molds are made to fit the Lee six cavity handles (NOE, Mehec, etc). I have several Lyman single cavity handles, one set of RCBS and one (so far) RCBS mold. I have a bunch of Lee handles and a couple of other ones bought from makers on this board.

OuchHot!
08-09-2014, 03:43 PM
I find myself quite often casting with two molds at once so obviously more than one set of handles is a requirement. The problem is that I live in a humid area and even the Al and Brass molds have rust prone hp pins and sprue plates. It just isn't feasible for me to store all of my molds with handles. If I get a bigger shop, I would consider building a cabinet for this purpose. For now, I put the mold blocks in ammo cans with a vpi compound as I hate having to clean up an oiled mold each time I cast. Only my highest usage molds are stored with handles. This still means that I have 3-4 handles for each proprietary design.

Garyshome
08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Lee handles are inexpensive, and work well, you can save some money here. I don't have handles for all my molds, I think I have 2 pair handles. I only buy stuff when I need it. Some sizers don't require top punches.
Economy is king.

Jtarm
08-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I'd say depends on your casting strategy:
If you plan to cast big lots from one mould that will last a couple of months or longer, you'll probably want to lube the blocks & store them away. Assuming you have multiple moulds that fit the same handles, you probably won't need another.

Moulds you cast from more often may rate their own handles.

I agree completely you should try casting before buying a bunch of different moulds. You may decide casting is not your cup of tea.

I must say , though, someone who is too impatient to spend two minutes swapping blocks while their alloy melts might not ought to be reloading:-)

Jim_P
08-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you. I've gotten some good advise and things to think about.

Right now I have two moulds and two sets of handles. I have a third mould I'm looking at and like some have said, this may be only the start. For right now, I'll stay with the two sets of handles. I'm looking at casting for just the 45/70 now. But who knows what the future will bring.

As a side note. This has been the friendliest and most helpful forum I've been a member of to date. You guys are great and I hope to learn much and maybe even get good enough to share some.

Jim

bedbugbilly
08-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Ive been casting for 50 years and up until a few years ago, it was primarily for BP rifles and pistols. While I have a number of Lee molds, I have been working at replacing them with Lyman, RCBS, etc. as I prefer steel blocks. Now, I find myself with a number of molds. I used to change handles out - had a set of Lyman large and small. I'm retired and I must be getting "crotchety" as I find myself hating to screw around with handle changes on the molds I use most often - primarily my molds for 38 spl., etc. So, I've been gradually buying used handles for the Lyman molds when I can find them. But that's just me.

Lots of times, when casting, I cast up a number of 358 round nose, SWC and WC. I love to cast but I kind of get bored after dropping a 100 or so of a particular boolit so I switch to a different style boolit. Having a handle on each set of blocks saves a lot of screwing around for me. It allows me to change to a different boolit quickly, cast a 100 or so and then switch for a change again.

As far as sizers - I would think that would depend on what you are casting. If you are casting say a 358 WC and they can be loaded "as cast" - you won't need a sizer. If you cast more than one boolit design, you might. Some of mine shoot "as cast" and some have to be sized. I don't have a Lyman lubesizer - I just use the Lee push through sizing dies. When I got set up for 38 spl/9mm, I purchased a .356, .357 and 358 push through sizer. They aren't that expensive and it allows me to size for a particular pistol if need be.

I'm retired as well. If you are like me, you'll probably end up with a few things you'll find that you never use. I have a few of those sitting around that I got "just in case". After a while, you'll discover what gets used and what doesn't - then you can use those things for "trading stock". :-)

Murphy
08-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Jim P,

Please go read the first post in the following link. Then you may decide how many handles you may or may not need. Our very own "Crash Corrigan" is THE ultimate authority on that particular topic.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?41217-Can-you-top-this-NOPE

Murphy

dh2
08-11-2014, 12:11 AM
I would not buy all of my moulds at one time I started casting before I learned of this forum . I started buying Lee moulds got better results from some than others, then went to RCBS and Lyman moulds with a Lyman sizer with built in heater and the quality and results of my casting kept getting better, started with one Lyman and one RCBS handle learning more about my needs was casting less than 10 lbs. of alloy at a time now it is 20 or more lbs of alloy at a time and I find that getting my moulds from Accurate, NOE and group buys, because I find my self wanting to run 4 cavity moulds instead of one or two cavity and getting moulds more to what I want than one made to sell a lot of, as for handles Now I only switch when I need handles for another mould they keep showing up at my house,

Bad Water Bill
08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Keep in mind that those 4-6 cavity moulds (yes I am an OLD reprobate) will get heavier as the clock ticks and the years fly by.

Suddenly that 45-70 in 6 cavity weighs more than a ton.

Pull up your favorite rocking chair as you have just joined the finest site on the internet.

blikseme300
08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Jim P,

Please go read the first post in the following link. Then you may decide how many handles you may or may not need. Our very own "Crash Corrigan" is THE ultimate authority on that particular topic.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?41217-Can-you-top-this-NOPE

Murphy

Re-reading that thread made me chuckle again. :holysheep

dragon813gt
08-12-2014, 10:31 AM
I have two sets of handles in every type. Why two? In case one breaks I can keep going. I don't use multiple molds at one time. This is what works for me. Having handles on every mold would take up a lot of space. This is the last thing I want.

gwpercle
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
I used to have one set of handles and about 6 Lyman moulds. Started buying some 2-cavity Lee moulds and got spoiled with each one having it's own handles. Discovered on this site that Lee 6-cavity handles will fit Lyman 2- cavity moulds. Now I have about a dozen Lyman moulds and each time I order from midway I purchase a set or two Lee 6-cavity handles. ($12.99 is good). Pretty soon all my moulds will have their own handles and no more swapping back and forth.
I put a rubber band around the handle ends to keep them closed during storage.
Just buy what you can when you can.
Gary

taco650
08-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Not much advice to offer but wish I had your $$$ problem :bigsmyl2:

John Boy
08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Jim - I have one set of handles to fit every different maker's mold. Having over 200 molds and being retired, if I was to buy a set of handles for each & every make of mold I have ... I would have to get a day job to pay for all the handles. Naw, I change screws when needed

mdi
08-17-2014, 11:27 AM
To sorta change the subject to another part of your question; Lee push through sizing dies don't require an individual nose punch for every bullet. For my casting needs, I couldn't convince myself I needed a lubersizer with dies and nose punches, so I've been using other methods of lubing my cast bullets for 19 years. I've used liquid alox/xlox, 45-45-10, pan lubing, spray lubing, and lately powder coating. It all works for me...

BTW; I have 13 molds, 10 with handles and two extra handles.

BruceB
08-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Lee push through sizing dies don't require an individual nose punch for every bullet.

After five decades in this hobby, I have about sixty moulds, of almost every conceivable type.

At the most, there are about twenty top punches here.

Out of that group of top punches, I can ALWAYS find one that will do the job for any of those sixty-odd bullet designs, without damaging the bullets or degrading the performance.

ncbearman
11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Jim-P

If money is not an issue, its nice to have the correct top punch for each boolit/mould. Keep it right there in the box with the mould. Swap out handles. Once you get a set for 1 cavity, 2 cavity, 4 or 6 cavity, Saeco, Lyman, Ideal, H&G etc.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction [smilie=s:

MT Chambers
11-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I use my Star sizers whenever I can, they don't require those fitted top punches, I have over 200 molds as well and don't have handles for each mold but prolly around 30 pairs. I don't use the Lee six cavity handles as they are the only mold handles that I have ever broke, and I've broken a couple of them, like the sprue plates, they are made of "scintered metal" (pot metal). Good luck with your new hobby, you'll only get in deeper!!!