PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 headaches

wallenba
08-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Keep hitting snags trying to find boolit molds and data that will work in my Ruger No. 1 ( no throat). Finally get my hands on two molds, an Accurate 405 gr. and a Lyman 292 gr.. Took the little Lyman single cav to the pot, began dropping excellent boolits right away, fun little mold to work with. After casting a small batch I went inside, sized and lubed a few and decided to make a few dummies. I got to the point where I want to crimp them. My RCBS Cowboy roll crimp just would not reach the case mouth.

Just an FYI guys, if you are thinking of buying some Hornady 325 FTX rounds just to get brass... DON"T! It's 0.070" shorter than regular 45-70 brass. The Lyman boolit didn't reach the crimp groove, but a lot of cast boolits don't, no problem usually.
I ordered a Redding profile crimp die made especially for this shorter 45-70 case. A lot of you guys probably already knew about this, but I felt I should mention it anyway.

grouch
08-08-2014, 09:30 PM
You shouldn't have to crimp ammunition for a single shot. I wouldn't bother with it. Normal neck tension should do everything necessary.
Grouch

white eagle
08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
what he said

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 10:40 PM
all that ftx brass is short not just the 45-70
anyway for a throat less rifle like yours and the browning 86 it actually works out.

nicholst55
08-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Perhaps a .45 Neck and Throat reamer is in your future?

dh2
08-08-2014, 11:22 PM
I am dealing the Hornady brass length issue I ordered Hornady die's made to deal with the shorter brass length.
I have a RCBS .458 dia. 405gr. FN mould the for my Marlin it gives me to opposite problem the crimp grove is so far forward that I crimp in the first lube grove to put the bullet closer to the lands, making my COL longer.
this could work to your advantage , where you want it to be shorter.
if you want to try a few of these send me a PM

bbqncigars
08-09-2014, 02:46 AM
The 'no throat' 45-70 chamber is standard SAAMI spec. You would have to ream your chamber to get a tapered leade.

wallenba
08-09-2014, 01:28 PM
You shouldn't have to crimp ammunition for a single shot. I wouldn't bother with it. Normal neck tension should do everything necessary.
Grouch

I have to at least iron out the 'M' die expansion, or it won't chamber. I'm using my Saeco lubrisizer too, and it is only getting two of the three grooves lubed. One of those is the one I'd have to crimp in to use these cases. I can reset the stop and lube twice to get them all. Like I said they are headaches, not impossibles.
I'll try them without roll crimping, sized at .460, they seem to have good neck tension.

Crimping might be necessary with some powders to get reliable ignition. I try to avoid those when possible. I'll see where my available powders take me.

grouch
08-09-2014, 02:56 PM
If a lubrisizer is giving you trouble like that, hand lubing is easy, and you can put the lube anywhere you like. Just seat your unlubed bullet to the gas check or first band(or where you want lube to start), apply your choice of automotive grease(assuming we're talking smokeless powder), seat to where you want lube to end(usually final depth) and wipe clean. Faster and easier than it sounds.
Grouch

wallenba
08-09-2014, 04:42 PM
If a lubrisizer is giving you trouble like that, hand lubing is easy, and you can put the lube anywhere you like. Just seat your unlubed bullet to the gas check or first band(or where you want lube to start), apply your choice of automotive grease(assuming we're talking smokeless powder), seat to where you want lube to end(usually final depth) and wipe clean. Faster and easier than it sounds.
Grouch

Not the lubrisizers fault. The die only has two holes for lube and they can only hit two grooves at a time. I will get around to getting a die for my Star, and can specify spacing. They usually have four rows staggered that you can block off unwanted ones.

On the plus side, I scored some reloadable 45-70 PRVI ammo from Graf's this AM. No confirmation of order via e-mail yet though. Usually get it quick. Might have gone out of stock before order got processed. Will see.

MtGun44
08-09-2014, 06:56 PM
"The no throat chamber is SAAMI spec". That would explain why Rem and Speer Jbullets
in the 405 size are two diameter bullets, with a small front section to fit into the barrel.
Hornady 350s will NOT chamber in my Win 86 Extra Lite at all when seated to the cannelure.

Bill

rexherring
08-10-2014, 12:38 AM
I've got a bunch of the Hornady shorter brass and took the seat/crimp die and ground off some material from the bottom and now it crimps fine.

08-21-2014, 10:33 PM
in the past I have faced of the top of a shell holder and got enough extra reach up in to the die to work. as far as the hornady brass the ones I checked were almost .100 shorter than other brands so I just don't use them

WALLNUTT
08-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Remember,you have a tapered chamber no matter what a loaded round looks like. Longer/heavier bullets will be unsupported. I found shorter bullets to shoot better in my #3 with a chamber like yours.