PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/Melt Pot Questions

ShooterAZ
08-08-2014, 07:13 PM
After putting up with my Lee 4/20 "drip-o-matic" for several years, I decided to bite the bullet and get an RCBS Pro Melt. I got everything assembled & plugged it in, and within minutes it popped the GFI outlet breaker where I cast. It flat won't work with this outlet. I have used it for several years with my Lee pot with no problem. What gives? It works perfectly when plugged into a regular non-GFI outlet with an extension cord. Is the extension cord a bad idea or am I OK using it?

Thanks...Shooter

canyon-ghost
08-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm using extension cords on mine because they're in the carport. I don't see a problem.

ShooterAZ
08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes, my GFI outlet is in the carport as well. I'm running the cord (heavy duty) to my storage shed which is adjacent to the carport, less than 15' away.

swamp
08-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Sounds more like a problem with the GFI outlet. I would check the outlet. I have a had a Pro Melt for about 30yrs or more and never a problem. You can cast alot of boolits with one.
swamp

jsizemore
08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
The easiest way to check if a cord is adequate is to pick it up with your bare hand. If it's warm, you need a bigger/shorter extension cord. If it's hot, replace quickly. I check at the ends near the plugs. I check with the back of my hand first.

dg31872
08-08-2014, 08:23 PM
If your extension cord has a nick in the insulation, and is damp, it will trip the GFI. Try a different cord, it may help.

retread
08-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Extension cord should be at least 14 gauge wire , 12 gauge would be better.

RED333
08-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Brand new elements are still damp on the inside.
The insulation is a paste that in around the heater wire.
As it heats for the first time it will dry out, water and GFCI do not work at all.
Plug your pot into a non GFCI outlet, let it get hot for a hour or so to dry the paste out.
I repair cooking gear, you can take a new element and bend it to
just about shape you want, but after it has been hot, it will break if you try to bend it.

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 10:26 PM
your pot might just be drawing more amperage at start up than the gfci will allow.
I know my magma pots require up to 30 amps at start-up but will run on 15-20 after that without issue.
you could get the pot melted then use the gfci and see if that works.

Catshooter
08-09-2014, 02:45 AM
A GFI won't trip if it's got too much power going across it. It will only trip when there is voltage leaking where it shouldn't.

This is how they work. You've got two wires feeding the pot. One brings power in, one brings power out. Electricity has to flow in order to do work, like heating an element. So the electronics inside the GFI measure the amount of power on one wire and compare it to the other. The numbers should be the same. If there is more than about 5/1000ths of one amp difference between the two wires then the unit trips.

So if your GFI isn't malfunctioning then there is more than 5/1000ths of an amp leaking away somewhere.

Red333's post is an excellent idea. I would do exactly that.

Cat

facetious
08-09-2014, 04:24 AM
I know it is not related but the thing about the cords getting hot reminded me of a guy I worked with a few years a go who had his house burn down, it turned out to be from a cord with a knot in it under a rug. Thy told him that it got hot at the knot and started there.

Pb2au
08-09-2014, 06:39 AM
The easiest way to check if a cord is adequate is to pick it up with your bare hand. If it's warm, you need a bigger/shorter extension cord. If it's hot, replace quickly. I check at the ends near the plugs. I check with the back of my hand first.

if it is on fire, call the FD. Then get a heavier one.

Hardcast416taylor
08-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I`m just kinda curious as to how heavy of a breaker there is in the breaker box that supplies that line with the tripped GFI?Robert

ShooterAZ
08-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Update,

I ran the pot yesterday for a two hour casting session using the extension cord. I plugged in into the GFCI outlet this morning and it worked just fine. RED333's thoughts about the coil driving out moisture appear to be correct. Also the temp setting is now pretty accurate to my thermometer, it was around 100 degrees off yesterday. I learned something here guys, and thanks for all the input. Also, my mother is visiting from Albuquerque, and she was very impressed at all the replies I got from all across the country!

RED333
08-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Address to send the bill, 5000 bucks OK?:bigsmyl2:
Ya know deer are kind of big, I will pay half of the shipping.:redneck:
Glad things worked out.