PDA

View Full Version : Coming up for air

Love Life
08-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I have completed my cross country trip to the sunny state of Georgia (home of ebola).

I bought a house on the cheap and have been painting, doing yard work, etc.

Getting the little girl enrolled in school.

Bought my Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass (GORP) so I can shoot on the king's land out here.

I've been working on my south Georgia wave (swatting gnats for those who aren't in the know).

No shooting, casting, or reloading has occurred. I've been busy doing the above and unpacking!! Sure sucks. Heck, I'm so backed up on honey do's that I ordered some plated bullets from Xtreme. Their prices are so good I may even call it quits on casting 9mm and 45 acp since my time is worth something to me.

The family is doing well, we are happy, and we are really just looking forward to enjoying ourselves here.

Hamish
08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear all are well. Carry on,,,,,,:bigsmyl2:

Finster101
08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Good for you! Glad to hear things are going well for you. How does your new duty station appear to be?

ph4570
08-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Good to hear you are settling in.

TXGunNut
08-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Glad you had a safe trip and things are going as well as can be expected. When spare time is scarce store-bought boolits and even ammo look pretty good. In time this too shall pass. ;-)

smokeywolf
08-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Didn't know you were moving. Glad you're getting settled in.
I've shot plated in the 1911 before. They did very well.
Hope the "little girl" got a good school. From what I've read, they seem to be either quite good or quite bad, not too much in between.
Also hope you got a big shop and/or a big man cave in this deal.

smokeywolf

Pb2au
08-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Glad to hear you and your family made it safe and sound LL.

kbstenberg
08-07-2014, 07:20 AM
LL ARE YOU DELUSIONAL! If you go to the dark side what will you do with all of the spare time you will have. PAINT. And how about not PC any more.
Someone quick get a 2x4. Some one else call 45 Nut to do concealing

Porterhouse
08-07-2014, 07:23 AM
So, you drove yourself? Tell us about the details of the trip. I'm very interested to hear as I'm considering about cross country trip.

Bad Water Bill
08-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the update.

Now we can rest easier knowing you and yours are safe in the land of gnats.:bigsmyl2:

Love Life
08-07-2014, 09:25 AM
So, you drove yourself? Tell us about the details of the trip. I'm very interested to hear as I'm considering about cross country trip.

What details would you like to hear? Let me know and I'll do my best to get them typed here.

osteodoc08
08-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Well, if you're swatting be know you're not local. We either ignore them or blow them away from our face when they're bad enough. LOL

lets see, you must be south of Warner Robbins if gnats are that bad. Where'd you end up?

Glad you made it safely with the family. The honey dos will never go away but hopefully minim olives so that you can shoot. If you got a GORP you must be planning on shooting on one of the WMA ranges. Be careful. I always carry when on the range. We've had a few incidents over the years of theft and robberies.

Also check out GON magazine.

Smoke4320
08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh the promised land .. land of gnats and ticks :)
at least the hunting will be good if you are into that..

Love Life
08-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice on the range as I will be shooting on a WMA range while here. I will head to the courthouse tomorrow or Monday to start my CCW permit process since I have to have a weapons permit to even open carry. Speaking of open carry, it seems to be pretty popular where I am so that is nice. Mebbe I'll strap on the Glock 21 with one of those super long magazines and a competition belt rig with magazines. Well...that's a bit much, but it is kind of cool.

When I go visit the in laws I have plenty of private property to shoot on. If I pop over to Huntsville to visit my family then I can shoot at Larry's or Blue and Grey.

Gnats...man these things are pretty annoying, but no big deal.

So far it is a beautiful area with many live oaks and Spanish moss. I have 3 large live oaks in my back yard and will be putting a tire swing in one. The river is about 5 miles down the road from my house. I look longingly at my catfishing rigs as I continue to paint, do yard work, unpack, and put my reloading area back together.

Looks like there are 7 gun shops in my area and I plan to darken their doors next week to see what is available.

All in all I will do fine here. I haven't checked into the new command yet, but I bet it will be more or less the same as my previous commands I've been to. Show up, do work, receive praise, execute orders elsewhere.

As for the trip out here I went through Nevada, picked up the 40 in Arizona (terrible road), cruised on through New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, and some other states. It was a nice drive with very little delay I the way of road work or traffic. Nevada and Arizona had pretty territory, but New Mexico trumped them all for eye candy when it came to rock formations and stuff.

We hit a huge storm (worst I ever drove through and dad says the same since he was driving behind me) about 100 miles out of Amarillo, TX. After Amarillo there was really nothing of interest to report, and that leg of the trip took us from Amarillo, TX to Huntsville, AL!! Things started to get boring after leaving Texas so not really much to report on the leg from Texas to Alabama.

I spent some time going around my old stomping grounds in my home town and had some Washington Market BBQ sandwiches. Mr. Greg was chatting a man up and apologized to me for having to wait like 20 seconds to pay for my food. I said "No worries!! I've been waiting 4 years for these sandwiches (true story)!!" I then went to one of my favorite gunshops and played with a CZ. It felt good in the hand, but the man had a couple Colt's in the case for a good price so that means no CZ for me (sigh and shrug).

The school my daughter will be going to seems very clean and the staff was very friendly during today's orientation.

I have a 2 car garage (attached) so my reloading will happen in there. There is a large storage shed in the back that is ready for power that I'll do my casting in. The shed needs some help (new roof piece and some new boards in a couple places in the floor), but is otherwise ready for me to cast in as I strip the guts, insulate it, and clean the bejesus out of it...and I'm sticking a window unit AC in it!!

I'd like a bigger shed with a pad, but I need to nurse my bank roll back to health a little before I drop the cheese on that.

Whew!! I covered a lot and let me know if I left anything out!

MBTcustom
08-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the advice on the range as I will be shooting on a WMA range while here. I will head to the courthouse tomorrow or Monday to start my CCW permit process since I have to have a weapons permit to even open carry. Speaking of open carry, it seems to be pretty popular where I am so that is nice. Mebbe I'll strap on the Glock 21 with one of those super long magazines and a competition belt rig with magazines. Well...that's a bit much, but it is kind of cool.

When I go visit the in laws I have plenty of private property to shoot on. If I pop over to Huntsville to visit my family then I can shoot at Larry's or Blue and Grey.

Gnats...man these things are pretty annoying, but no big deal.

So far it is a beautiful area with many live oaks and Spanish moss. I have 3 large live oaks in my back yard and will be putting a tire swing in one. The river is about 5 miles down the road from my house. I look longingly at my catfishing rigs as I continue to paint, do yard work, unpack, and put my reloading area back together.

Looks like there are 7 gun shops in my area and I plan to darken their doors next week to see what is available.

All in all I will do fine here. I haven't checked into the new command yet, but I bet it will be more or less the same as my previous commands I've been to. Show up, do work, receive praise, execute orders elsewhere.

As for the trip out here I went through Nevada, picked up the 40 in Arizona (terrible road), cruised on through New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, and some other states. It was a nice drive with very little delay I the way of road work or traffic. Nevada and Arizona had pretty territory, but New Mexico trumped them all for eye candy when it came to rock formations and stuff.

We hit a huge storm (worst I ever drove through and dad says the same since he was driving behind me) about 100 miles out of Amarillo, TX. After Amarillo there was really nothing of interest to report, and that leg of the trip took us from Amarillo, TX to Huntsville, AL!! Things started to get boring after leaving Texas so not really much to report on the leg from Texas to Alabama.

I spent some time going around my old stomping grounds in my home town and had some Washington Market BBQ sandwiches. Mr. Greg was chatting a man up and apologized to me for having to wait like 20 seconds to pay for my food. I said "No worries!! I've been waiting 4 years for these sandwiches (true story)!!" I then went to one of my favorite gunshops and played with a CZ. It felt good in the hand, but the man had a couple Colt's in the case for a good price so that means no CZ for me (sigh and shrug).

The school my daughter will be going to seems very clean and the staff was very friendly during today's orientation.

I have a 2 car garage (attached) so my reloading will happen in there. There is a large storage shed in the back that is ready for power that I'll do my casting in. The shed needs some help (new roof piece and some new boards in a couple places in the floor), but is otherwise ready for me to cast in as I strip the guts, insulate it, and clean the bejesus out of it...and I'm sticking a window unit AC in it!!

I'd like a bigger shed with a pad, but I need to nurse my bank roll back to health a little before I drop the cheese on that.

Whew!! I covered a lot and let me know if I left anything out!

Well, let me think......did you leave anything out......Hmmmmmm.
Well other than blowing right through Arkansas without so much as waving the finger at your gunsmith or Kanitz-Get-Right, not much!
What, did you have the kids pee out the window?
:kidding:
Seriously, good to know you got there in one piece and are getting settled in.

Love Life
08-07-2014, 11:09 PM
I would have loved to have stopped, but it was a hard push from Amarillo to Huntsville. Speaking of gunsmith, I have a box of parts here and a long tubish thing that needs to screw on the short tubish thing with a handle and be bedded in a stock. Know anybody I can mail it to?

MBTcustom
08-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Sho nuff. I got a large spinny thing here that can make it happen for you. LOL!

EMC45
08-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Welcome back to GA. You got here right in time for the cool season......

DR Owl Creek
08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Glad you made it OK.

Dave

Love Life
08-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm becoming a regular Mr. Fix it. Fixed the washer, replaced sink strainer baskets, filled in nail holes and patched dents/divets. Next up is ripping up shrubs and getting rid of pine straw.

osteodoc08
08-08-2014, 08:29 PM
You're in GA and your getting rid of pine straw? You sure you're from here? LOL.

Its been hot and humid lately with some storms blowing in. Stay cool and hydrated. Watch your back and enjoy a cold one.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 08:40 PM
It has been very humid. I have sweat more in the last week than I did the whole 4 years in Nevada!!

I hate pine straw up against the house in flower beds. I plan to remove it all, replace it with white rock, and plant some holly bushes.

Mom had bonehead and I raking pine straw every other weekend. I made good money as a kid picking up pine cones in people's yard as well. Old habits die hard I guess.

Finster101
08-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't put rock in those beds. You will be forever pulling weeds out of it. Leave the pine straw and put a ton of mulch over top of it and problem solved. Don't ask me how I learned this.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 08:59 PM
If I had my way, I would spray round up on the entire yard until was a dirt patch. Cutting grass and other yard work ranks way up high on my list of stuff I absolutely hate to do. However, the Mrs. won't allow it and she did give me half the garage and the shed for my reloading and casting stuff...even though I pay the house note. I'm not sure how that works out.

MBTcustom
08-08-2014, 09:07 PM
If I had my way, I would spray round up on the entire yard until was a dirt patch. Cutting grass and other yard work ranks way up high on my list of stuff I absolutely hate to do. However, the Mrs. won't allow it and she did give me half the garage and the shed for my reloading and casting stuff...even though I pay the house note. I'm not sure how that works out.

That sounds very very familiar.......

osteodoc08
08-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Oh boy. We could put our heads together over several tons of boolit castig and never figure this one out. I've learned to just accept it for what it is.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Oh boy. We could put our heads together over several tons of boolit castig and never figure this one out. I've learned to just accept it for what it is.

Pretty much. Women are mysterious. I'm still trying to figure out how my 5 year old daughter has accumulated so much stuff without a job. Boggles my mind sometimes.

Finster101
08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
" I'm not sure how that works out."

And you never will! You are not alone in that respect either.

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 10:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBD8xzs7q-o

maybe this will help.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 10:32 PM
No Daft Punk?

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 10:37 PM
it didn't fit [shrug]
maybe this would be better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRn0wUJdvr8

Love Life
08-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I went back to the garage to finish unpacking, and lookee what greets me.

I reckon I'll leave him be, and he is lucky the little girl is in the bed. She is terror on the poor toads (doesn't hurt them but catches them non stop).

Mk42gunner
08-09-2014, 05:11 AM
So you are postponing his torment until morning, when she wakes up?

At least it wasn't Mr. No Shoulders that invaded. Things tend to get exciting when that happens.

Robert

Porterhouse
08-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the report. Hope you don't have to move for a while. Keep your eyes on your girl's new friends.

Bad Water Bill
08-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Not sure about the toads down there BUT.

Play with one up here and do not wash her hands before eating anything can result in a very sick little girl.

osteodoc08
08-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Southern toads are harmless.

bruce drake
08-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Pine straw is just tick beds in GA from my experience. I raked all of it away from the house in Kennesaw after I saw the straw literally crawling with them as I was moving in. The house fronting onto the Kennesaw Mountain State Park probably didn't help any but the views were worth it every day.

Glad to see you made it home. I'm in exile here in Indiana near the In-laws but once the kids are out of college in 10 years, I'm moving south!

Bruce

runfiverun
08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I gotta ask.
pine straw is just pine needles right?
around here straw is the shaft from wheat.

MBTcustom
08-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Not sure about the toads down there BUT.

Play with one up here and do not wash her hands before eating anything can result in a very sick little girl.

Ummm, BWB, I need to tell you about my hometown and the festival we have every year:

If toads make you sick, we must be immune.
You really need to move south. All that Northern living takes the sauce out a ya!
Come get some mud bugs too.
I enjoyed Toad Suck Daze with the Larson family this year (White Label Lubes). O'l Glen didn't take to the crawdadies quite yet, but it was a good time.

762 shooter
08-09-2014, 11:49 AM
I gotta ask.
pine straw is just pine needles right?
around here straw is the shaft from wheat.

Correct. Pine "straw" is pine needles. Sometimes it gets baled, hence the straw moniker.

Bad Water Bill
08-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Ummm, BWB, I need to tell you about my hometown and the festival we have every year:

If toads make you sick, we must be immune.
You really need to move south. All that Northern living takes the sauce out a ya!
Come get some mud bugs too.
I enjoyed Toad Suck Daze with the Larson family this year (White Label Lubes). O'l Glen didn't take to the crawdadies quite yet, but it was a good time.

U musta kookd da pizn outa dem wit ur hi hete doun dere.:bigsmyl2:

Love Life
08-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Pine straw is an evil stuff put on earth by Lucifer himself (kind of like grass). Sucks to walk on, sucks to rake, is a major unwanted bug magnet, etc.

Love Life
08-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Before I start looking to a yard cutting service, does anybody have a teen or youngish kid that wants to make a little scratch cutting my grass in the Leesburg, Ga area? It's about an acre.

Finster101
08-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Get a good zero turn mower and a 6pack. Both are kinda fun.

quilbilly
08-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Good to hear that you and the family are doing well if not overworked with the new house. You should know, however, that there is now some Nevada sage oil flowing in your veins that must be replenished from time to time. It doesn't matter even if you have lived in the PacNW rainforest as long as I have. That sage oil abides.

Love Life
08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
A zero turn is way more than I want to spend. A good self propel walk behind with a wide cutting area and bag system is what I'm currently looking at.

Quilbilly- I miss the smell of sage, public lands, and wide open spaces already. I've got 2-4 years here then I'm requesting to go back to the west coast...or Japan.

jcwit
08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Just now noticed your first post & read bits & pieces of this thread. Glad your move went good & that you found a homestead for you & yours.

Best

Love Life
08-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the kind words jcwit. It's always good to hear from you.

80% humidity today in the garage. I have been applying eezox to all my dies and other metal pieces for reloading. Ya'll may want to go ahead and invest in eezox...

BrassMagnet
08-11-2014, 07:50 AM

I guess it is time for me to spout some wisdom!

Open mouth, insert foot, now what do I do?

Oh, yeah!

Making the Lady of the house happy doesn't always make you happy, too.

On the other hand, making the Lady of the house unhappy, or allowing someone else to make the Lady of the house unhappy, always absolutely guarantees you will be unhappy.

Now how does that work again?

BrassMagnet
08-11-2014, 08:01 AM
A zero turn is way more than I want to spend. A good self propel walk behind with a wide cutting area and bag system is what I'm currently looking at.

Quilbilly- I miss the smell of sage, public lands, and wide open spaces already. I've got 2-4 years here then I'm requesting to go back to the west coast...or Japan.

Do you want to glow in the dark or is that threat grossly overrated?

Doc Highwall
08-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I wish you luck Love Life.

MtGun44
08-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Pine needles around the house keeps the weeds down, most prefer it to the work
of weeding, which is why it is there in the first place.

If you don't mind - what town? I have relatives in that general area, south of Savannah.

You'll learn to keep your guns in the air conditioned part of your house and keep a
an oily rag handy so EVERY TIME you handle them, you wipe them down. Otherwise,
rust WILL happen. Lived in N. Fla for many years, darned near impossible to keep a
gun rust free in an non-air conditioned house like we lived in as a kid. AC is a real boon,
dries out the air, but the oily rag is a key tool.

Bill

Love Life
08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Round up also keeps the weeds down!! I plan to keep the guns inside after I completely break them down and eezox them up.

Powder, primers, and dies are all being stored in a chest freezer with desiccant packs.

That should about cover any issues...I hope.

Doc Highwall
08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Don't forget a Golden Rod dehumidifier helps out also.

BNE
08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Welcome back! I love the south, but I HATE August in the south!